Grinding on horizontal mill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding on horizontal mill?

I had this brilliant idea (?) that I could put a grinding wheel on my horizontal mill and do tool grinding, kind of. I'm thinking that with a spindexer to set angles and the 3-axis feed, I could do precision grinding, or semi-precision anyhow. For instance, grinding broaches for a rotary broach.

The biggest limitation that I see is the arbor speed. But my mill uses a VFD that I could turn up - would that be a problem for arbor bearings?

Thoughts?

Making popcorn.....
    DZER

Comment

Ive always wonder about this myself. From what ive gathered from others, biggest problems seem to be the arbor speed not being fast enough for proper wheel speed, and the table transverse speed not being fast enough. Some other concerns about the slideway accuracy not comparing to an actual surface grinder too. Oh, and grinding swarf on the exposed ways

Comment

Hi,

There will also be flex in the arbor itself. Considerably more than a real grinder head will have.
        If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

It can easily work, but dont expect precision or speed. And it wont make your machine last longer..

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
            Making popcorn.....
            I'm making cocktail franks wrapped in crescent roll dough

Comment

I did it 40 years ago on a cinci mill. Reground the feet on a large fixture. It works but don't expect precision.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Dude you gotta try them with hot sauce.

-D
                DZER

Comment

I've seen something like that on a B'port.
                  using a cupped wheel, in a vertical mill, highest speed, diamond dress wheel, move slowly,

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Dude you gotta try them with hot sauce.

-D
                    No reason not to try.
                    The hot sauce, I mean.

Comment

Man, you should ask this question on Practical Machinist

Comment

This sort of thing used to be done all the time, when the occasion required it. Here's a scene in the Mount Wilson Observatory shop in 1920. A Gray planer fitted with a cobbled grinding head finishing the ways for the "A" ruling engine that was used to make diffraction gratings.

https://hdl.huntington.org/digital/c.../id/705/rec/37

They did what they had to, without worrying.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                          Man, you should ask this question on Practical Machinist
                          You are a sadist! That is downright cruel to suggest. I like your style.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Pizza is ordered!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Some here may recall Evan doing this in his CNC mill, essentially using it as a tool grinder. Like most things I'd bet you can make it work acceptably well for lots of purposes. Maybe not ideal, but may be entirely workable depending upon what your expectations are.

I have no insight on the arbor bearings, but that ought to be pretty straightforward to figure out. I'd guess that while grinding the cutting forces are tiny compared to most milling operations.

Comment

Working...
                              X