Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe slightly OT: making paper masks more effective...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe slightly OT: making paper masks more effective...

The common blue folded paper throw away, medical looking face masks cause my glasses to fog. The problem is the embedded metal strip over the nose area isn't stiff enough to maintain a close facial contact. The result is when going into "mask required" areas I have to take off my glasses. Reading prices, item descriptions, etc in stores is difficult for me without my glasses.

My solution is to insert a section of small diameter solid wire into the folded over area right above the existing a stiffening wire. That extra stiffening was enough to keep my glasses un-fogged.

This worked with masks from two different vendors using .032" diameter stainless I wire. Larger wire will work too, I just happened to have straight sections of the .032".

My stock of N95 3M dust masks don't have the leakage problem because the stiffener is more than stiff enough.

While making an attempt to make a few masks from directions on the internet, they said to use pipe cleaners as a way to form a seal over the nose. If you use you needle nose pliers to bend back about 3/16" on each end of the wire and pinch it tight, then cut a small hole in the area of the existing wire and slip in the pipe cleaner , it will add enough stiffness to seal the nose bridge to help keep your glasses fog free.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
    Oregon Coast

Comment

A face mask is just like a piece of fly paper.
      Ever see a roll of fly paper full of flies???
      Substitute the flies for viruses.
      That is what you are putting up on your face.
      Be a good sheep and obey.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer
        Doozer, the mask is to protect others from yourself, NOT to protect you from others. Yes the inside of the mask is loaded with your viruses, but they came from you!

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

-Doozer
          You'd sooner the virus just went into your lungs rather than get stopped at the mask or conversely, if someone is already infected, you'd sooner they breath their contaminated air out for you to share?

Comment

It's sad that a lot of people think that wearing a mask protects them from getting the virus, instead of them from spreading the virus from them to others. But there are those that are that selfish. Those that would want a mask to protect themselves the virus wouldn't pay for one that would protect themselves. You might still be able to buy one of those but would cost maybe a hundred dollars and the filters would be another $50 per day to use it.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
            Oregon Coast

Comment

Standing in line at the grocery store the other day- two tellers on, one was coughing into her hand, then handling every item that came to her counter. I jumped into the other line right away. Then she was free and called customers to come through her line. Pretty much, she was saying 'come get my cold'. I see so many examples of transferred germs, even from people wearing masks, meticulously obeying the 2 meter rule, looking at everyone else as though they were 'the contaminated'. Hey, I think there's a movie there-
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Working...
              X