Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maybe slightly OT: making paper masks more effective...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something to consider is not making them more effective, merely making them less expensive to buy at retail prices. Also make them more attractive to wear, this is important.

Comment

The article in The Atlantic points out that there is much evidence of this virus being airborne and not just transmitted by droplets which quickly fall to the ground. Thus, perhaps more effort should be expended on HEPA air filtration systems and more fresh air, doing things outside and keeping windows open as much as possible. Of course, social distancing and extensive mask-wearing protocols also help, and just staying home as much as possible. As I may have said before, I have not had the flu or even a cold in the past 15-20 years or so, and I think that is because I have been self-employed, working mostly from home or in isolation, and I have tended to avoid bars and crowded indoor events. And I don't have central A/C or heating so the air is not recirculated or maintained at unhealthy temperatures. We are still learning a lot about this virus and others, and I'll certainly get vaccinated when it is proven safe and reasonably effective. I do get the flu shot every year, but I think my lifestyle has a lot more to do with my lack of infection.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

My System, for what it's worth:

Last year, before all this crap started, I was doing some wood work which was kicking up a lot of dust. I went to Harbor Freight and bought those white face masks made out of stiff paper fiber that are shaped like a woman's bra cup. There are five to a pac and cost about $3.50 at the time - you know the ones I mean. Anyway, you can't get these things now for love nor money. I only used one and it was still in almost mint condition so I have all five of them. I nailed five finish nails along the length of a shelf I have in the garage and hung these masks up in a row. Above them I have a very small cardboard box on the shelf itself which I slide above the next mask to be used so I will not get confused when I go to pick one and not know which was the last one I used. The virus, if any is present on the mask, will be dead within two weeks we are told; actually, on paper products they say a couple of days. If I go out once a week it will take five weeks before I get back to the first mask I used. Inside the mask, which has a lot of room between the inner surface and my mouth or nose, I place three wadded Kleenex to act as additional filtration which I discard after each use. When I have used all five masks I spray them all liberally, inside an out as well as the elastic band, with 70% alcohol and let them air dry.
        Last edited by DATo; 08-01-2020, 04:21 AM. Reason: Corrected a misspelling

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
          My mom lost her life to polio the same year that Salk developed the vaccine to combat it. Not in time to help her, but it did help many others- as did other vaccines back then. Many people also lost their lives because of the vaccines, and I think more so in more recent times. You don't hear much about that. I'm not a guinea pig for the pharma monopoly.
          I am always fascinated how people can be so oblivious to the benefits of vaccination and are happy to spread their ignorance on the internet.
          As the people in the US seem to have trouble getting the virus under control without a vaccine they will need it the hardest to stop the spread and all the associated deaths. You are doing no service claiming a vaccine you know nothing about is dangerous while there are 150000 people already laying dead there from lack of one.
          A friend of mine is currently working on producing 1 billion doses for one of "the evil phamaceutical companies" and from discussions with him on how the vaccine works I would have no problem getting a shot.
          The modern vaccines are not even "weakened" COVID viruses but are genetically engineered cold viruses with small pieces that are identical to the COVID spike proteins. The identical cold virus has been used in many other vaccines and has been tested on tens of thousands of people without any significant negative effects.

However if you think that vaccines are worse than the disease and are actively promoting that on the internet, I would encourage you to not take any. I'm a big fan of Darwin.

Comment

A thought. While reading the big long (link) back a page on the air conditioning bit . I've noticed that NM seems to be a lot better than TX FL CA (a small problem with AZ) in that the the "AC" here is mostly "Swamp Coolers" (Evaporative) rather than "Refrigeration" type. So the air is not being recirculated . As a possible AZ reason to not fit, in particular, the Phoenix area seems to use a lot of the refrig. type since it gets even hotter and the RH (relative humidity) is higher. __ Anybody have thoughts???
            ...lew...

Comment

My feeling is we should be as considerate as possible to one another.
              Failing that, do as you please.
              Mother Earth is telling us she's had enough and there's too damn many of us living in our own swill.
              So ignore protection and become part of the solution.
              Len

Comment

Actually what works one way also works the other. The mask, properly worn, can catch a certain percentage of the flu virus, both in small globes of moisture AND just in the air without any other carrier. They work by providing a large number of fibers that the air must twist and turn through. That provides a large chance that a virus particle will strike and get stuck in one of those fibers.

This works only to a certain percentage. Some Virus particles can get through. Hence the designation N95 which means that the percentage of particles caught is 95%. The other 5% get through.

Most of the cloth masks do not even bother to provide a percentage rating. Makes me wonder just how low that percentage is.

But the generally sold masks will work almost equally well both for the person wearing it and for the others around that person.

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post

Doozer, the mask is to protect others from yourself, NOT to protect you from others. Yes the inside of the mask is loaded with your viruses, but they came from you!
                Paul A.
                SE Texas

Make it fit.
                You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Here is a graphic illustration of how masks can help prevent virus spread from an infected person to others. If both wear masks, it is very effective.

Click image for larger version

Name:	masks-065689bd82c354bdb6c95a4566cc2586.jpeg
Views:	116
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1890108
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

My takeaway from this COVID thing is that by definition, half of the population is below average intelligence, and they are self-identifying.

i would not mind, were their actions not be putting everyone they encounter in danger.

Seems to me shooting a maskless person in a SYG state would be justified, but I don’t care to be the test case for that.

I’ve lost track of how this is related to machining though?

Comment

How about a mask-making machine?

USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                        A face mask is just like a piece of fly paper.
                        Ever see a roll of fly paper full of flies???
                        Substitute the flies for viruses.
                        That is what you are putting up on your face.
                        Be a good sheep and obey.

-Doozer
                        Just HHHHaaaaddddd to throw that word "sheep" out there huh ?

I find it funny that the people calling other people sheep are the one's that deny science, and were led to believe that if you wear a mask you are
                        in some way not a true patriot. All because someone thought it would hurt his election campaign.

People not wearing masks are delaying us getting back to normal.
                        Last edited by Mike Amick; 08-02-2020, 04:30 PM.
                        John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Amick View Post
                          People not wearing masks are delaying us getting back to normal.

And leading to a lot of people dying unnecessarily, crashing the economy, etc.

Comment

What we are really lacking to beat this virus is leadership. Yes a very large percentage of the population needs to be led. Currently we are going in a circle spiraling around the drain.

Comment

I wonder how effective the cloth mask are against viruses considering a layer of underpants and a layer of denim combined can't stop a fart.......

Comment

Originally posted by garyhlucas View Post
                                What we are really lacking to beat this virus is leadership. Yes a very large percentage of the population needs to be led. Currently we are going in a circle spiraling around the drain.
                                OK, let's say we make you the leader. Now just what is your plan for leading us out of this woeful mess?

It seems to me the bigger problem is a shortage of "followership."

I wonder how effective the cloth mask are against viruses considering a layer of underpants and a layer of denim combined can't stop a fart.......
                                That's something I've occasionally pondered, but never bothered to investigate: How big are the particles that make up an odor? Are they all the same size? Surely fart particles differ from those emanating from a rose. How about versus a virus? Let's ask Darryl. He's bound to know; he has pondered every possible question there is.
                                Last edited by lynnl; 08-04-2020, 08:19 AM.
                                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                                X