Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Something is not right with the forum and I.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a rule, cookies from known site should not be cleaned out. Does CCleaner allow you to only clear cookies for known bad sites? Cookies often are used to provide continuity from one connection to the next. That's a good thing. Without it, what you see before login is not usually left up to the website.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

I believe the basic fault is with the forum. I don't remember any problems with the old format. I expect George knows about the problem, but whether he can get the design of the software changed remains to be seen. Four other forums that I visit do not expect visitors to log in to see pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
        I believe the basic fault is with the forum. I don't remember any problems with the old format. I expect George knows about the problem, but whether he can get the design of the software changed remains to be seen. Four other forums that I visit do not expect visitors to log in to see pictures.
        I don't have a problem with the need to log in to see the pictures. My problem is after I log in the pictures aren't there in the original post nor is the link there to the pictures.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

this is what the first post in the T-slot post looks like on my computer.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	no links.png
Views:	171
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1884377

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

About a month ago someone was posting some test pictures using different methods of hosting the pictures in a similar thread and I noticed and commented that (I think) some worked for me and some didn't, including being completely unaware there was a picture in some circumstances. I was always logged in, using W7, IE, FF, Chrome in different tests. New computer now using W10, IE13 & Edge and only Edge fully works on this site and can have weird effects with IE on some other sites. Although it is a company computer IT locked down some of our company sites don't work even with Edge.

Comment

I miss the Tapatalk interface BIG TIME.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

I try to keep my system clean also. I use CCleaner Professional to clean cookies and most everything off and out of the cache. Maybe I am doing it wrong or not correctly. Is there another cache besides the browser cache that needs to be emptied? I downloaded and installed Palemoon and it did the same thing.
                On Windows, I wouldn't know for sure but CCleaner is probably OK.
                There are other things to check too -- especially, if you have any ad blockers, a large hosts file, etc. Check your firewall settings.
                I do know that my own security systems have blocked out parts of web pages and sites, including the pictures.
                I would try to get the latest versions of FF and Java installed and go from there.
                25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

C Cleaner is likely ok-ish. I use it.

Just remember who wrote it.... A russian company calling itself "pear shaped software".

There is an option to "wipe free space". It pays to use that sometimes, even if it does take a while to run.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Many times when I open the forum in my Firefox browser but not log in and then open a topic that has a picture in the OP and then when I log in the picture and the link to the picture are not there. Before I log in there is a box with the attachment that says click here. I know if I am not logged in that doesn't work. So I don't click that but log in. Then there is no evidence of a picture either inserted or attached.

Have any of you all had this happen? I have even cleared my browser cache when closing or after I have closed Firefox still no picture. I tried edge and it does the same.
                    After re-reading this, there is a good chance that it IS cache related, but not necessarily the cache for your browser. As you probably already know, there are many mechanisms on the internet to cache static information. Poxy's often have caches. So do some load balancers. Caching proxies greatly reduce load on the web sites.

Try this. After logging back in, force a refresh. I think ctrl-F5 will do that. If that fixes the problem you probably have a proxy / cache somewhere in your network path.

Dan
                    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and left over parts.

Comment

Originally posted by old mart View Post
                      I believe the basic fault is with the forum...
                      A fault or a feature? What you are seeing is intentional. Many forums do it for images they host (it shouldn't happen for externally hosted images). I assume they do it to save bandwidth and to encourage people to join. It can be frustrating when you just want to see an image, but it's an intentional design decision. I do not know if it can be turned off with the new version of this forum software. Probably not if vBulletin is paying for the bandwidth and charging a fixed fee to customers.

Have a look at Jerry's post on this page https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...orizontal-mill

The image is visible without logging on because it's externally hosted by imgur. Dian's post below it has images that you cannot see unless logged on. Clicking on the image link takes you to the logon page.

For everyone else... You don't need tools to "clean" your computer. Your computer already has heaps of stuff on it that you don't use, but is expected to be there. Better to live with it because the more you clean it, the more problems you are likely to have. All browsers allow you to clear the cache and cookies if you want to do that. There is no need in most cases. If you have a problem with a particular page, try a SHIFT+F5 (reload page, ignoring cache). This will download a fresh copy of the page without clearing all the other cached content (which speeds up your browsing).

Comment

I use FF on Win10 Home Premium 64 bit, and I browse this forum using a Private Window from FF. I don't use CCleaner or any other such apps. I use Ghostery to block ads, but I have allowed them for HSM, as that might help support the forum (although I rarely click on an ad). The private window means I must log in when I first visit after a restart, but then I stay logged in so it's no big deal. I still occasionally encounter problems, but they are easily worked around. If I had problems like some of you guys have been reporting, I'd just get a cheap "burner" machine running Win10, or maybe Linux or even Android or Chrome OS, to access the forum.

Some inexpensive machines:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...mputer---black (Win10 laptop $250)

https://www.microcenter.com/product/...tab-e8---black (Android tablet $90)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Acer-315-...C2C3/565923637 (ChromeBook $180)
                        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

this is what the first post in the T-slot post looks like on my computer.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	no links.png
Views:	171
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	1884377

Why are the posts in reverse chronological order?

http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post
                            I simply always stay logged in, no issues at all with the forum's features whatsoever. Plus I don't have to repeatedly log in every time I check in here to see what's new. This adds up as I routinely check in here up to a half dozen times daily if I'm home or not involved in a major project.
                            Is there a reason to log out?
                            Maybe my situation is less complicated than those of others.

Happily running Windows 7 and Firefox on the shop PC,..............well for the most part anyway. LOL
                            This.
                            Why would anyone want to log out?
                            Its a forum, not internet banking.
                            Happily running W10 and the latest FF. - zero issues and problems.

Comment

Working...
                            X