Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK. Boomer. Q. Crush washer on a 2014 toyota oil pan washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'68 Ford Fairlane, 390 with four on the floor. Fast. John b.
    John b. SW Chicago burbs.

Comment

Tried the shop vac trick last year on a tractor so I could extract broken bolts on a valve body without catching then replacing 20 plus gallons of hydraulic fluid. Physics is often useful......

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
        JR solly so late but sounds like it all worked out and you definitely made the right move passing on the plastic crap washers that have totally destroyed many an engine after they heat up - conform - lose tension and then fall out,,,
        better to have a seeper/slight leak then to lose the whole kit and kaboodle,,,

as far as your set up, if it's steel on steel I don't like it and would just put in a copper or aluminum washer next go around (oil change) steel on steel can gall - even with oil right there - best to have a softer material interface, iv seen precision steel on aluminum case and sometimes seems acceptable,

also steel on steel but the plug has a built in O-ring interface, very nice, lots of choices but again good move staying away from plastic that can crack open or actually just plain melt.... hate to tell you where most come from and seems they just don't give a crap about what type of material they use...
        where you been? haven't seen you here in a while
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

That's right. He'd dropped outta sight around here. ...right after the encounter with the toilet paper woman, as I recall. Coincidence? ...connection?
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
            My Prius has no washer
            Think of how many millions of dollars the company saved by eliminating that washer !

JL..................

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Clarke View Post
              You don't have to drain the oil to put on a new gasket/washer/seal or whatever you want to call it. Remove plug, put your thumb over the hole, stopping the oil flow. Put seal on plug. Reinstall. I've done it, and only lost a little oil, maybe half a cup. I recommend a washer with a O ring moulded on the ID. But if it doesn't leak, don't fix it.
              I'de like to see that. It's going to be messy both ways.

JL..................

Comment

Joe , not so bad with 2 people..
                meanwhile........if you have concerns..
                and were Machinist like inclined........
                and you have a set of drills..
                just saftey wire the dam thing.. it's worked for the last Century...
                and then you can sleep.....bet you checked it 3 times since the oil change....

Comment

I’m going to extend on my earlier remark-

Use a shop vac to draw a little vacuum through the fill port. Take your sweet time removing plug, etc. and you won’t spill a drop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

I got into the world of compound bows to protect the mass quantities of rice and beans i collected, it's been really keeping me busy and out of trouble (well kinda)

just bought another one (second hand) yesterday and been going through it... for things that go "twang" there sure is allot to get to know and I like that.

Hope everyone is doing well - when you think about it guys like us are blessed due to being technical, immerse yourself in your machines and projects and you almost don't notice the ensuing chaos around you lol

Comment

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
                      I got into the world of compound bows to protect the mass quantities of rice and beans i collected ...
                      A cryptic post, indeed! What are you going to do with that hoard of rice and beans? What critters might take it?

Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Originally posted by aostling View Post

A cryptic post, indeed! What are you going to do with that hoard of rice and beans? What critters might take it?
                        Deer and such like them along with some rodents. All good tasting out of the field JR
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

AK's turning it into gas to run his prius. Slow process.

Comment

Originally posted by RB211 View Post
                            My Prius has no washer
                            All of my Toyotas (including a Prius) have had crush washers. Your original one is probably stuck to the pan- sometimes you have to pry them off.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post

All of my Toyotas (including a Prius) have had crush washers. Your original one is probably stuck to the pan- sometimes you have to pry them off.
                              Good advice.

I have rebuilt a few engines,

Shim over bucket is my favorite from 1994. That engine was fun to work on.
                              I got into its specs with some work.

But once the shim over bucket on the road bike went like all get out folks were looking. Might be a nice system.

Not really, you had to keep the pressures so high on the springs to hold all together the springs were the weak point.

Dont drive Motorcycles..

They can be Ending. jr
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

I have owned several Toyota's, the South African spec. All had what seems like aluminium crush washers. Toyota ask a rediculous price for them, and they are not available any where else here. They need to be replaced after each time you loosen the plug.

I just put on a new copper crush washer after each oil change for peace of mind. Never had a leak, galling or damaged the threads with over tightening, and is easily removed next oil change. As a side note, have a look at the plug's torque specs, especially in an alu pan, it is surprisingly low.

I did see a few pick-up's like my Isuzu where the alu crush washer seems to be integral to the plug. (Either that or it just got squashed into the thread relief) These I just machined flat and switch to copper crush washers. NEVER put two crush washers on top of each other

Comment

Working...
                                X