Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AK. Boomer. Q. Crush washer on a 2014 toyota oil pan washer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suppose my crush washer is missing or stuck to the bolt or pan, and I didn't notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post
      Think of how many millions of dollars the company saved by eliminating that washer !

JL..................
      They do have a crush washer- they tend to stick to the pan and look like a spot face.

Comment

Originally posted by Blouwildebuffel View Post
        I have owned several Toyota's, the South African spec. All had what seems like aluminium crush washers. Toyota ask a rediculous price for them, and they are not available any where else here. They need to be replaced after each time you loosen the plug.

I just put on a new copper crush washer after each oil change for peace of mind. Never had a leak, galling or damaged the threads with over tightening, and is easily removed next oil change. As a side note, have a look at the plug's torque specs, especially in an alu pan, it is surprisingly low.

I did see a few pick-up's like my Isuzu where the alu crush washer seems to be integral to the plug. (Either that or it just got squashed into the thread relief) These I just machined flat and switch to copper crush washers. NEVER put two crush washers on top of each other
        That sounds like greedy dealers- here they charge about one US dollar.
        Copper crush washers probably work just fine. Honda and Toyota generally torque to 30 lbs-ft.
        S you suspect, Honda and Isuzu aluminum washers tend to deform and lock under the drain plug threads- I use a wire cutter to make a score line on the face of the old washer- they pop right off .

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
          AK's turning it into gas to run his prius. Slow process.
          Brings new meaning to the term f*rt can.

Comment

Originally posted by CarlByrns View Post

That sounds like greedy dealers- here they charge about one US dollar.
            Copper crush washers probably work just fine. Honda and Toyota generally torque to 30 lbs-ft.
            S you suspect, Honda and Isuzu aluminum washers tend to deform and lock under the drain plug threads- I use a wire cutter to make a score line on the face of the old washer- they pop right off .
            Yes they are. We pay an arm and a leg for automotive parts. Many vehicles are not supported by aftermarket parts dealers. We also get most parts via South Africa, and by the time it gets here in Namibia, you had to pay import and export duties in several countries, not to mention transport and all the middle men taking their cut. Also, there is only one principal dealer for most makes of vehicles, se we have to pay what they ask.

Namibia is a big country, but a population of only 4 million, of which probably less than 25% can afford vehicles, so there is not exactly a booming automotive industry. Ordering parts from America or Japan is possible, but with very expensive air freight and it is also heavily taxed

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53 View Post
              AK's turning it into gas to run his prius. Slow process.
              Don't own a Prius --- not that im against it, just still like my honda's performance enough to take the hit in fuel economy, and beans are out right now, not unless i have too meaning if things get really tough --- could not even stand myself, my dog disowned me, was a pathetic existence... the perfect pandemic food though - it will sustain life (kinda) and you won't touch the supplies till you really need then - plus people tend to leave you alone lol

Im seriously thinking about the little turbo diesel jetta wagons for taking the occasional trip in - it's a great concept and simple, if they didn't eat their camshafts id probably already have one but maybe aftermarkets building some now due to the krauts not knowing how too... a nice quality japanese camshaft would be the appropriate insult im thinking... maybe one that even comes with a sticker that you can put on the back of the car for a further slap in the face to v/w, proprietary dealer only oil that you have to buy at something like 3 times the price and they still gobble their cam lobes --- nice job germany - dumbasses.... about as impressive as BMW making their engine blocks out of pewter....

Comment

Working...
              X