New to me label making trick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me label making trick

Probably not the first to do this, but it is handy. Printing out labels for various things, control panels, custom rules etc. I've used the vinyl coated peel and stick paper before, but even vinyl coated, it still picks up grease and dirt. The glue doesn't hold up to well either it seems. So I tried drawing up want I wanted, printing it and then running in through a laminator using 5 mil plastic. Much, much better, wipes clean, doesn't stain and can be used trimmed to size and the back layer peeled off to provide peel and stick, or trimmed an 1/8" over and glued down with contact adhesive.

I just need one more tool,just one!

I think I'm confused. Is the 5mil plastic lamination applied to both sides, e.g. like a drivers license, etc.? ...that wouldn't leave anything to be peeled off would it? Or are you leaving 1/8" sticky edge overhang from the front side for attachment purposes?
    It's been awhile since I used any of the stuff, so I'm a bit behind the lamination technology curve.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I think he's applying the lamination plastic on both sides to make a sealed sandwich of the paper label. Indeed, you then need to leave about 1/8" of plastic to plastic all the way around to stop liquids soaking into the label inside and to prevent air getting in.

There's nothing to be peeled off - you get shiny plastic back & front. Hence the use of contact adhesive.

This does make a nice easy to clean label. Works great for flat surfaces, not quite so good for surfaces curved in one direction, and lousy for 2 directional curves.

Ian
      All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

If you laminate PVC self stick you won't have the problem with moist and you can cut to size. This will allow you to remove the original sticky face protection paper and to improve the sticking ability he uses contact cement.
        this is how I understood the first place. I've done this before minus the contact cement. The lamination gives some rigidity to the label and the original glue holds up well.
        Helder Ferreira
        Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Since I have a laser cutter, I now use acrylic as my face plates. I paint the acrylic the color I want and engrave and cut the mounting holes the panel from behind. The laser removes a thin layer that I fill with paint as you can see on the cutter's own panel.
          Helder Ferreira
          Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
            I think I'm confused. Is the 5mil plastic lamination applied to both sides, e.g. like a drivers license, etc.? ...that wouldn't leave anything to be peeled off would it? Or are you leaving 1/8" sticky edge overhang from the front side for attachment purposes?
            It's been awhile since I used any of the stuff, so I'm a bit behind the lamination technology curve.
            Yes, both sides, however you can either trim the film leaving an 1/8" border so the lamination stays sealed. Or you can trim just inside the edge of the paper and use the peel and stick of the paper, but still have the laminated face.

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
              Since I have a laser cutter, I now use acrylic as my face plates. I paint the acrylic the color I want and engrave and cut the mounting holes the panel from behind. The laser removes a thin layer that I fill with paint as you can see on the cutter's own panel.
              Nice job!

Comment

Originally posted by Noitoen View Post
                ...I now use acrylic as my face plates. ...
                Nice! Very professional looking. Especially the graphics - did you get the symbols/icons from a library or are they hand made?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

Nice! Very professional looking. Especially the graphics - did you get the symbols/icons from a library or are they hand made?
                  Just cut and paste into Inkscape, arrange all the bits and export to the xinesium xorel software that I think works better then most people says it does.
                  Helder Ferreira
                  Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Another sample
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

For control panel graphics I use transparency "paper" & print on the back (mirror image). So the ink is not subject to being worn away. The transparency is rubber cemented to the panel:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dials.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	1884596
                      Last edited by Bob Engelhardt; 07-03-2020, 01:31 PM.

Comment

I have been making face plates with label stock for years. I have used both clear plastic lamination and spray them with a clear coat. Regular clear lacquer spray can weaken the adhesive. But the Krylon, Cristal Clear Acrylic Coating seems to have the least effect on the adhesive. Several coats are usually needed.

One advantage of making a face plate this way is two can be printed. The first one can serve as a cutting and drilling guide. Then remove it and apply the final one after all the holes have been cut. That saves a lot of layout work and is usually accurate enough for most purposes.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.
                        You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

One advantage of making a face plate this way is two can be printed. The first one can serve as a cutting and drilling guide. Then remove it and apply the final one after all the holes have been cut. That saves a lot of layout work and is usually accurate enough for most purposes.
                          I use my CAD and label paper for layout on a regular basis, I find it faster and also easier to catch a mistake.

Comment

Instead of laminator film I often use the heavy duty clear shipping tape for things like insurance cards that I put in my wallet. The printed paper or card has a piece of tape on front and back. It also works for labels that I put on machines. The front tape is bigger than the back so that it is self adhesive.

Dan
                            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                              Probably not the first to do this, but it is handy. Printing out labels for various things, control panels, custom rules etc. I've used the vinyl coated peel and stick paper before, but even vinyl coated, it still picks up grease and dirt. The glue doesn't hold up to well either it seems. So I tried drawing up want I wanted, printing it and then running in through a laminator using 5 mil plastic. Much, much better, wipes clean, doesn't stain and can be used trimmed to size and the back layer peeled off to provide peel and stick, or trimmed an 1/8" over and glued down with contact adhesive.
                              That is in fact Weird.

Not your story, just the timing of if. Very relevant. You would have to talk with Bronwyn, my Wife. She will confirm our laminating issues now.

Fellows BIG laminator. No one sells the film. Only pouches.
                              Oh well. JR

P.S. We wanted to Laminate our Daughter's art work. It is nice. JR
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X