OT: Another use for WD40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Another use for WD40

I have had toadstools for some years now, in the yard not between my toes. Everyone I asked at garden centres said that there isn't anyway to kill them off and they will just keep coming back only worse. I have dogs and toadstools can be harmful to them if they ingest them which they will cause dogs be stupid so desperation drove me to spraining them with WD40, why not. Just a bit I didn't spray the yard and with in a day they where not only dead but completely gone. No remains. Who knew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Toadstools don't last long anyhow, wait and see if they come back when conditions are good again for them.

One thing that WD40 is very good for and that you can see in real time, is wasps. One good squirt, and a wasp is dead almost instantly.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Comment

The mycelium generally forms a very large network below the surface. Likely all you have affected is the fruiting body, and new ones will appear when conditions are appropriate. In the short term, as long as the dogs don't go for the taste of WD40, you've probably solved the immediate problem...
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Apparently the biggest living creature on earth is a fungi in a North America woods, if I remember the researchers got over 6000 tons of one fungus, my old man used to say (and many others) we don’t know enough to know how little we do know.
        personally I have a small tin of water dispersant formula 40 in my bedside draw, squeaky hinges annoy me but smothering toadstools is new, wonder about athletes foot or tinnea whatever it is
        mark

Comment

Wasp killer! Now there is a good use for it. Only problem is getting close enough.

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
          Toadstools don't last long anyhow, wait and see if they come back when conditions are good again for them.

One thing that WD40 is very good for and that you can see in real time, is wasps. One good squirt, and a wasp is dead almost instantly.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Might work for the slow mud daubers but you can't get close enough to kill enough of the yellow jackets. They're too fast. I use the foaming wasp spray. It shoots about 20' and coats the nest and all. I keep several cans around the place. REAL instant death for those bastards.

Comment

If they come back then I can give them another squirt. 😈💀👻
              The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Not sure, but I have been told that an abundance of toadstools is a sign of acidic soil and moisture. Therefore, if true, a treatment of lime would take care of the toadstools.

sarge41

Comment

I had wasps once. Huge round paper nest, about the size of a big grapefruit. I killed the nest, and one week later my fruit trees were overrun with aphids. I learned. Wasps are carnivorous and eat insects, mostly the kind we don't like. I have never killed once since. They are often around when I'm working in the driveway outside my shop. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

I had a big dinner party awhile after the above-mentioned nest killing incident. I filleted a big salmon to grill for dinner. I put the bones, all attached to the spine with plenty of meat scraps, out in the sun next to my yard. The wasps gorged all afternoon. By dinnertime, I served 3 tables full of guests dinner out in my yard and there was nary a yellowjacket in sight.

Stop killing wasps. Learn to live with them.

metalmagpie

Comment

A light misting of diesel from a hand-held sprayer would be just as effective and much cheaper. A light mist of diesel on noxious weeds when in the sun is out will also turn them black by mid day.

As far as an effective and cheap wasp killer, nothing I've found works as good as chlorinated brake-clean. Use a nozzle to increase range dramatically. A third to a quarter the price of the dedicated wasp killers locally.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                      I had wasps once. Huge round paper nest, about the size of a big grapefruit. I killed the nest, and one week later my fruit trees were overrun with aphids. I learned. Wasps are carnivorous and eat insects, mostly the kind we don't like. I have never killed once since. They are often around when I'm working in the driveway outside my shop. I don't bother them and they don't bother me.

I had a big dinner party awhile after the above-mentioned nest killing incident. I filleted a big salmon to grill for dinner. I put the bones, all attached to the spine with plenty of meat scraps, out in the sun next to my yard. The wasps gorged all afternoon. By dinnertime, I served 3 tables full of guests dinner out in my yard and there was nary a yellowjacket in sight.

Stop killing wasps. Learn to live with them.

metalmagpie
                      100%. I leave all mine alone, and I have plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
                        Might work for the slow mud daubers but you can't get close enough to kill enough of the yellow jackets. They're too fast. I use the foaming wasp spray. It shoots about 20' and coats the nest and all. I keep several cans around the place. REAL instant death for those bastards.
                        You don't need to kill the ones that are 20' away. Stop worrying about those.

You cannot reason with a wasp. So if the wasps are where they are just going to be an issue, then killing them is your only option. Ones that have made a nest right over a doorway that you use all the time is an example. You can knock down the nest, but they will build it back.

Wasps that are somewhere else going about their business are not a problem.

And, the wasps that deal with aphids etc are not generally the ones that are a sting problem, not ones that build large nests that they defend. There are a LOT of small wasps that don't sting people, but they feed on, or have larva that feed on, small insects like aphids or even on tomato hornworms, etc.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

I"M ~20' AWAY WHEN I SPRAY THEM. They're always building nests about 2-3' from the doorway or ON the gate to the chicken house, garden or ON a hose bib. They'll even build behind house trim. That's where I got hit with about 6-7 right in the face. (I was about to repair some loose trim.) One even went half way up one nostril while stinging. Since then, I kill every nest I see. If I can see it, it's too close. The spray allows me to stand clear most times. I had one hit me on the back of the hand while holding the spray can. It got me to drop the can! We also have some HUGE orange wasps. They're more like hornets but stay mostly out in the heavy tree and brush area of the property. I got hit in the back by one of those but I think I leaned against him while on the tractor. They usually leave me alone while I'm mowing. I think it's because of the low tone of the diesel engine. They seem to stay away and I leave them alone. The Kamikaze Yellow Jackets are a different story. They sting you just for the fun of it.

Comment

Oh yeah, I also kill all rattle snakes, corral snakes and copper heads I see too! They can go any where they want, except here. Haven't seen any cotton mouths in many years. Probably because I no longer maintain a pond. There's plenty of other wild life around here to handle pests. Garter, grass and whip snakes are welcome. I see those all the time.

Comment

One home made insecticide effective on bees, yellow jackets, etc. is soapy water. More practical with ground dwellers, e.g. yellow jackets, than their aerial cousins. The soap is said to permit the water to penetrate the exoskeleton, thereby drowning the little boogers.

If you're a fisherman, there's not a better live bait to be found than the larva from wasp nests. In my youth we'd knock down the nests with a long pole, and quickly run to a safe distance, and wait awhile to retrieve the nests. Leave the larva in the nest til time needed to bait the hook.
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X