Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1913 Galion road grader in 1/12 scale

Gentlemen,
    Here's a project I have been working on for the past 14 months. This was unique in a way that building model engines can't compare. It involved making a lot of parts from sheet brass which required bending, riveting and soldering. Yes there was a lot of machining but here again a lot of the parts required special fixtures,tools and setups to complete.
    https://youtu.be/BDkGjuT9gX8

Wow, very nice!

Comment

Amazing. The attention to detail is impressive. The video would be improved by a shot or two of the full size original, regardless of what condition it is actually in.
      "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

That is a beautiful piece of work, George! Thanks for sharing it with us.
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Now there's something that would please anybody and it's good to see you at least used the correct nuts and bolts and all made to scale as well.

Had to make my own machine, to be able to do the thousands of square nuts that I require for the 12th scale stuff I get up to.
          I use square section brass for the nuts, mainly 3/32 and drill to take a 12BA thread.
          Even have to make my own miniature coachbolts as well, had to devise a small ' Box Tool ' to fit a U3 lathe, to be able to make them by the dozens at a time.
          Once again, ---------------- 'KUDOS' to where it is required.

Could you please check your messages ---------------- :-)

Comment

Hi Mickeyf,
            Here's a link to the video I shot of the full sized machine.
            https://youtu.be/XPR19n_TwoQ

Comment

Great work I wish I had the patience to build something like that.
              If I ever tried to build a model it would be a Cleveland trencher, I have literary dug many 100s miles with mine over the years. Not mine but you get the idea.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	1F410B82-1322-41C5-9060-B19F9E1C5848.jpeg
Views:	241
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	1884820

Comment

Beautiful, would not like to clean that lot of brass, I was looking in my scrap bin the other day when I found several lengths of old brass curtain rail, it was extruded, less than a mm thick, 1/2 tall I beam, don’t see that anymore.
                has anyone over there seen ME threads, fairly common over here, alternative to ba’s odd 47 1/2 thing
                ME was model engineer, that question was answered to me by a nice gentleman by the name of Edgar wesbury at the model engineering exhibition in London when I was in school, different country the past, wouldn’t have guessed how the world would change, perhaps there’s a civilised reality we just missed out on
                mark

Comment

That is a true masterpiece!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

An absolutely beautiful piece of work. Words fail me.

Have you given any thought to the fate of the model when you are gone? It should be preserved and also be on display for others to see and appreciate.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Absolutely beautiful!! What talent you must have.

Comment

Great work George. It is wonderful. You never disappoint us with your beautiful project work.---Brian
                        Brian Rupnow

Comment

Thanks for posting this beauty! The high standard of your work always amazes me. Looks like you've raised the bar a little higher with this one.
                          I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                          Oregon, USA

Comment

Stunning work George!
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Beautiful build,
                              Congrats

Comment

Working...
                              X