electro cleaning easy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• electro cleaning easy

i had welded some ss pieces to zink plated sheet and wanted to clean the welds. it turns out its very simple. 12v battery charger, a piece of thick cloth wraped around a piece of sheet metal and a bit of 50% phosphoric acid solution. plus connected to part, minus to "wand". thats all. i was getting 1-2 amps on the narrow side and up to 5 amps on the flat side. it went fast, the part got hot. its not perfect, polish would still get black but it worked.

i didnt try other acids as phosphoric i harmless but i polished up the zink with 5% hydrochloric with a tooth brush.next step might be getting a carbon fibre brush. will this work? no idea?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Anti-static...0AAOSwXk1d4cbU

Stainless is electro polished, gets the oxide off, Matt finish though
    mark

Comment

What sort of cloth you were using?
      I have used the same method and the combination of acid and heat ate up cotton really fast. Some unknown synthetic rag sort of melted and bits stuck everywhere.

Comment

I'm not familiar with the problem - what do you mean by "clean the welds"? What is it that needs to be removed?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
          I'm not familiar with the problem - what do you mean by "clean the welds"? What is it that needs to be removed?
          Oxidation colors on Stainless welds. Here's a commercial setup-

https://youtu.be/OeXWteD5pn8

I was wishing I had one the other day. I normally wire buff and bead blast, but it's a slow process.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

the cloth is consumed rather quickly. commercial wands use a fiberglass mesh and some kind of sponge. if i had a spare soldering sponge i would have tried it. i tried a piece of felt but was getting less than 0.1 amps. might have worked if i had plugged it into the wall. ac apparently works also, so i might try the tig or electrode welder as the power source. but first i need the brush. untill i get one a piece of carbon fibre mesh could work. they also add some sulphuric acid, but i wont do that inside.

Comment

Working...
            X