No announcement yet.

Possible to make a qctp "indexing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I fully understand what a mechanical screw machine is.
    As a humorous aside, about 15 years ago an acquaintance who was a bracket drag racer told me, knowing that I was a machinist, that he and his brother had bought a used lathe for modifying car parts when needed. Asked him what type of machine and he answered, it is called a B&S screw machine. Had to ask, what exactly will you do with a screw machine?

To this day I ask him if he ever used that lathe and he sheepishly answers NO. Had no idea what they bought, a lathe is a lathe correct?
    Last edited by Bented; 07-09-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

I owned a B&S #2 hand screw machine for a while, made me giggle, and it was interesting to examine. Made a lateral trade and it left without ever running here. I hardly ever make even two things the same, so not worth room it took.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
        I fully understand what a mechanical screw machine is.
        As a humorous aside, about 15 years ago an acquaintance who was a bracket drag racer told me, knowing that I was a machinist, that he and his brother had bought a used lathe for modifying car parts when needed. Asked him what type of machine and he answered, it is called a B&S screw machine. Had to ask, what exactly will you do with a screw machine?

To this day I ask him if he ever used that lathe and he sheepishly answers NO. Had no idea what they bought, a lathe is a lathe correct?
        I have a turret and crosslide for the Logan, which I am slowly tooling up. I have some uses in mind. Even for 100 parts, it is easier by far than using a QCTP, and swapping in drills, reamers, threading tools, turning tools, etc. Some of it could be done with a 4 way, but the turret is really the deal.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

I have a turret and crosslide for the Logan
          I like turret lathes, I use two venerated brands when need be.
          A small Hardinge, what a joy this machine is, quiet and has a large spindle speed range for such an old machine.

Also a big, ugly, smelly yet surprisingly quiet Warner & Swasey #5, this is a powerful machine. 20" chuck.

Comment

You still do not escape the fact that you have to take the first one off, transport it, put it one somewhere, find and and grab the new one, transport it back, and finally fit is on. That's still a lot of ...
            Transport? Put it somewhere? Find? Transport back? Sounds like you're describing a disorganized person swapping truck engines, not toolholders.

Comment

One machine I wished I had bought was a small Burgmaster turret drill , about a 18 in square foot print I am guessing. Benchtop, easy to move... would have been fun.

Comment

Originally posted by tomato coupe View Post
                Transport? Put it somewhere? Find? Transport back? Sounds like you're describing a disorganized person swapping truck engines, not toolholders.
                You obviously know nothing about time and motion studies.

Those are "elementary operations", and each is assigned a time, etc. In factory work (I know, how quaint to think that there could be such a thing as a factory) those tiny bits of work add up quickly to a lot of time and money. In the shop, it's up to the user, and few worry about it until they have to do the same operation sequence many times.

The "find", is simply that your hand has to be moved (transport empty) to the location of the item, and has to be located over the item in position so it can be picked up. It makes NO difference that you know where it is, you are not "in position" to grab it until your hand is there (find). Then you grab it (acquire), and move it back (transport) to where it is to be used. The toolholder only fits one way, so it has to be "aligned" before it is put on the post, etc, etc.

In the same way, you have a place the toolholders are set when not in use (on table next to workstation, perhaps), and you have to put the one you take off in a specific place so you can get it again. Makes NO difference that you know where that is.

Turning a toolholder that snaps into position is clearly less of these "micro-operations" per tool change. That stuff adds up when doing the same thing over and over dozens of times, or potentially hundreds of times per day. It is why turret lathes were invented. For that matter, it is why the QCTP was invented.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 07-10-2020, 10:17 AM.

I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.

Comment

I would be very surprised at a home shop that does a Taylor study (time and motion)
                  Had a new boss at work once who thought they were the greatest thing
                  He gave up after 6 months when they finally convinced him that they had already optimized their process as much as possible for decades before he was even born. With no formal study of it at all, just common sense driven by desire for profits.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

You obviously know nothing about time and motion
                    You obviously have no sense of humor.

Comment

Shims... Just another use for a feeler guage.

Comment

You obviously have no sense of humor.
                        You getting humerus?

Don't be trying to put the arm on me......

Comment

This so much made me laugh. Thanks Tomato.

--D
                          DZER

Comment

You obviously know nothing about time and motion studies.

The "find", is simply that your hand has to be moved (transport empty) to the location of the item, and has to be located over the item in position so it can be picked up. It makes NO difference that you know where it is, you are not "in position" to grab it until your hand is there (find). Then you grab it (acquire), and move it back (transport) to where it is to be used. The toolholder only fits one way, so it has to be "aligned" before it is put on the post, etc, etc. ...

There will be no Jiggle-Jacking around under Jerry's watch. LOLOLOL

-D
                            DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

There will be no Jiggle-Jacking around under Jerry's watch. LOLOLOL

-D
                              Now THAT is a term you may wanna look up...... LOL........... but it seems somehow appropriate coming from you, Doozie.....

Comment

Its now Official.......
                                I am adding Jiggle Jacker to my resume..
                                or perhaps it should be Jiggle Jacker Savaant ....

Comment

Working...
                                X