I got a lathe!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I got a lathe!

Will be picking up a south bend 9" A model lathe that I made the winning bid on. $ 750 plus 17% auction fee. Description says lots of extra tooling, we'll see what that means. No inspection, just three photos, but I could make out the QC gearbox. Now I can retire the micro-mini for a desk ornament.

Congratulations! That's a good price for one of those, let alone with tooling included. In case you were not aware, you can send the serial number in to Grizzly and they will send you a copy of the original serial card from the factory when it was built, showing the original owner, the options it was built with, the date built and sold, etc. https://www.southbendlathe.com/older...serial-numbers
    Last edited by nickel-city-fab; 07-07-2020, 11:01 AM.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

uh oh, start of a long slippery slope. Like after buying a horse, you'll never be rich again 😂

Comment

The little SB9's are probably one of the top 5 lathes for a small home shop. And if it lives up to the promise of extra tooling I'd say that you made out like a bandit.

Is the A model with the undercabinet drive or a bench top drive in behind the head?
        Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Congratulation! Sounds like a great deal so far. Also, sorry to hear of your tool sickness.

Comment

Originally posted by BCRider View Post
            The little SB9's are probably one of the top 5 lathes for a small home shop. And if it lives up to the promise of extra tooling I'd say that you made out like a bandit.

Is the A model with the undercabinet drive or a bench top drive in behind the head?
            AFAIK they were available both ways. Prewar models were all horizontal drive with flat belts. By the 1960's you could get them with a cabinet drive and vee belts AFAIK.

Comment

Let me be firstt to say it....You don't Suck anymore..
              first thing to figure age... do you need to uee a wrench to reverse leadscrew ? Flat or V belts.?

Comment

Lots of info including the serial numbers and dates here: http://www.wswells.com/sn/sn_index.html

Comment

congrats! That'll be a nice step up in capability from a mini-lathe. Post pics when you get it

Comment

Flat belts, the drive setup must weights more than the lathe. I'd like to get rid of that if possible. I have several 3/4 and 1 HP motors around, I will have to find out if I can get and use SB parts, or will have to cobble something togeather. The adventure begins.

Comment

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
                      Flat belts, the drive setup must weights more than the lathe. I'd like to get rid of that if possible. I have several 3/4 and 1 HP motors around, I will have to find out if I can get and use SB parts, or will have to cobble something togeather. The adventure begins.
                      If you want SB parts, go to PM and look for Ted "SBLatheman" on their SB sub forum. He's a gold mine of parts, used to work there before they closed down. I also use eBay a lot. 3/4 horse is more than enough motor for a 9A. I like the stock flat belt countershaft setup, you would be amazed how much power it has in low gears... the factory motor was 1/2 HP "instant reversing" from GE, it probably weighs 50 lbs.

Comment

The flat belt is better when it is a toothed or gear belt with the smooth side in. Runs quiet and smooth and transmits power better than the leather.

Comment

You will like the 9, especially if it is the long bed. I love mine, even worn some it produces awesome parts. I also like the rubber flat belt it can be set enough to avoid a serious crash as well.

Comment

Originally posted by wdtom44 View Post
                            The flat belt is better when it is a toothed or gear belt with the smooth side in. Runs quiet and smooth and transmits power better than the leather.
                            I'm using a regular serpentine fan belt with the ribbed side in and it grabs hard enough to either stall it out or snap things right off.... beats heck out of the leather belt.

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

I'm using a regular serpentine fan belt with the ribbed side in and it grabs hard enough to either stall it out or snap things right off.... beats heck out of the leather belt.
                              That's a dandy idea ! ! ! I really like that option.

It also gives you the option of a touch lower belt tension provided it doesn't slip. And that would reduce the load on the bearings a little.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X