Breaking Up Shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by polaraligned View Post
    I would put them on Ebay, FB Marketplace and Craigslist. I have had results from all 3. As for moving them, take some movies of them in action first, then get some help moving them to the garage where you can store them for purchaser. I think the Tormach is the most important piece to show under power. A dealer will give you next to nothing, and a rigger will be expensive. It just comes down to how much of a "hit" you want to take on the machines.
    Thanks, Polar. After getting more info, I think I've come to the same conclusion. I just have to psyche myself up for some hard work! If I just proceed deliberately and carefully, the job should be accomplished without any drama (personal injury or property damage).

Comment

just work like the ancient Egyptians - use lots of slaves!

Comment

Originally posted by dkaustin View Post
        I find myself facing a situation that some of you may also be facing or may have dealt with in the past: breaking up my basement metalworking shop. I haven't been using the shop much the last couple of years, and, if I'm honest, I'm starting to feel my age. So maybe it's time to start thinking about breaking up the shop. I have a Bridgeport mill, a Tormach 1100 CNC, and a 9-inch SB lathe. I got the machines into the basement the same way the Egyptians built the pyramids-- one manageable piece at a time-- and they have to come out the same way. That's going to be a physically demanding job, and the wife tells me I'm not allowed to die until the machines are out :-)

Once the machines are out of the basement, they have to be reassembled in the garage, where they will take up space until they are sold. I've generally found Craigslist to be a complete waste of time, so have little confidence that I could sell the machines quickly going that route.

Have any of you sold machinery to a commercial used equipment buyer? Most of them advertise that they take small jobs. I wouldn't expect them to pay as much as a private buyer, but the convenience of wrapping up the transaction quickly also has value.

Have any of you used commercial machinery movers to clear out a shop? They have experience moving heavy weights out of restricted spaces, and it might be worth paying them to take the headache.

I'd very much appreciate hearing what you think. Are there other options I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.
        I hate hearing stories like this. I have found Craigs list to be a total waste of time also. Used machinery dealers will probably give you pennies on the dollar for your equipment, especially when they find out what they have to do to move them.
        I would try to talk the wife into letting you keep them.
        You might try approaching her by saying something like.......honey would you rather have me in the basement playing with my machines or at the local pub chasing girls?
        Hope all works out for you.

JL......................

Comment

Thanks, Polar. After getting more info, I think I've come to the same conclusion. I just have to psyche myself up for some hard work! If I just proceed deliberately and carefully, the job should be accomplished without any drama (personal injury or property damage).
          You are welcome. I sold a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC that I converted to Mach 3 controls. It sold on Ebay and the buyer was all the way across the country in Oregon. The video of it in action was all he needed.

Comment

The liability exposure of having some inexperienced bozo on my property trying to move multi-hundred pound machinery makes me break out in a cold sweat
            The idea of most sellers loading equipment makes me break out in a cold sweat. But in reality, most of them have been doing this much longer than I have and do a fine job. Perhaps the bozo buying is actually quite a capable rigger. But yeah, liability and stuff. Damn lawyers.

Just my 0.02.
            21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
            1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I think Matt's post is spot on, although unwelcome news. You bring three guys on site with a truck and equipment and its thousands a day....and might take some time with all the disassembly. Some keen young guy full of energy is a good candidate, give a once in a lifetime deal and guide him through disassembly and moving. Of course you want a young guy of character has he's going to be in house. Finding one who wants and can take the machines is the challenge. Especially in the big smoke; fewer young guys are going to have a detached house with a garage...what your customer kind of needs to receive all this. I think the best step would be to network with the three clubs mentioned look for the idea person

At TSME we get these sorts of broadcasts occasionally, Dave Powell can probably comment better on there success, but the clubs certainly are where people with our interest congregate
              Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-10-2020, 07:51 AM.
              in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

The idea of most sellers loading equipment makes me break out in a cold sweat. But in reality, most of them have been doing this much longer than I have and do a fine job. Perhaps the bozo buying is actually quite a capable rigger. But yeah, liability and stuff. Damn lawyers.

Just my 0.02.
                LOL most do an OK job. But were are more than a few that scare me. I once watched of couple of idiots try to load a older South Bend 9" back drive on legs with a John Deere loader. Completely unbalanced weight it was totally unmanageable. I finally had to leave I was sure they were going to drop it. I can't hardly watch the machinery move videos I've seen posted, even the good ones just frustrate me.

Mike
                Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Just my 0.02.
                  How many machine have you bought, rigged, loaded and unloaded yourself?
                  Excluding the ones that you can can lift with both hands.

Comment

I wish I lived closer I would work a deal. I have the time equipment, and insurance to make it happen. Would love to find an opportunity like that semi local.

Sorry to here your having to sell your shop. I really dread when my time comes.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

How many machine have you bought, rigged, loaded and unloaded yourself?
                      Excluding the ones that you can can lift with both hands.
                      What's you aim with this?

Zero. I'd never work alone when rigging. As said, the sellers tend to load, and tend to do a fine job.

Comment

What's you aim with this?

Zero. I'd never work alone when rigging. As said, the sellers tend to load, and tend to do a fine job.
                        I meant to say, "without a Rigger". Everybody starts somewhere in their machinery moving education.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

I meant to say, "without a Rigger". Everybody starts somewhere in their machinery moving education.
                          Ah. All of them.

A bridgeport, a 6-700lb lathe (had to load that one too) a 3000lb lathe, a 5000lb lathe, a 2000lb bandsaw, 500, 1000lb drill presses, etc. Can't afford stuff if you've gotta hire a rigger.
                          Last edited by The Metal Butcher; 07-10-2020, 01:49 PM.

Comment

I been thinking, if you have the strength, physical capability, and time .. get them upstairs in garage or on slab under car tent.
                            if it's slide out and load, easy simple, sling and load with a Hyabb.
                            get maximum bucks.....with least hassle , no one in the house.. safe..

Comment

. Can't afford stuff if you've gotta hire a rigger.
                              Sometime, you can't get the machine out of the building without one unless you carry the requisite liability policy.

Comment

Craigslist has been great for me, just gotta know how to deal with those people. Personally if I saw an ad for those tools and had to remove them and reassemble myself, the price would go down a lot. As others have said it also depends what the access to the basement is. If there is direct access to outside it might not be too bad.

Comment

Working...
                                X