Bought a box O' files today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a box O' files today.

Some rusty junkers, but the pretty new Pferds sucked me in.
    $25, I think I did ok.
    Attached Files

I see a couple hundred worth of Pferds in there so... yeah you did OK
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

I would pay that for the handles.. good on you..

Comment

The rusty ones you might want to give a bath in some acid...... they might be better than you think.
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by paul463 View Post
          Some rusty junkers, but the pretty new Pferds sucked me in.
          $25, I think I did ok.
          Exceptional Good score Pferd's are very good they started building Horse Rasps in 1799,I got some NOS Wiltshire made in Australia excellent also.I built these racks which I really like as my previous storage was poor.Some aren't a fan of hanging files but I've been happy so far,tangs have to be secure in handle. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3006.PNG
Views:	213
Size:	3.12 MB
ID:	1885995

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
            The rusty ones you might want to give a bath in some acid...... they might be better than you think.
            I'll put them in vinegar eventually and see what comes out of them.

Comment

Good score. If nothing else the rusty ones are high carbon steel and can be used to make woodworking tools and other things. I have a large collection of 'em.
              "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

I chemically sharpened some, worked great but keep Hcl out of the shop, bloody chlorine eats everything, I like fileing, therapy, calming
                good catch
                mark

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                  I chemically sharpened some, worked great but keep Hcl out of the shop, bloody chlorine eats everything, I like fileing, therapy, calming
                  good catch
                  mark
                  Why wouldn't a cleanup in Phosphoric acid be good enough?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Why wouldn't a cleanup in Phosphoric acid be good enough?
                    That would probably work just as good too. I usually go with vinegar just because its way cheaper. I soak for a week and then boil them in a solution of baking soda to neutralize the acid and give the final clean.

Comment

Check out Boggs for vapor blasting to sharpen old files. Cost is reasonable if you are in the U.S. and use a USPS flat-rate box.

Comment

nice collection there. It's good to have a variety of styles for roughing, shaping and finishing.

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemuppet View Post
                          nice collection there. It's good to have a variety of styles for roughing, shaping and finishing.
                          Amen, yep its good to have a variety of files, I think my file collection maybe a sign of mental disorder? A file fetish....

Comment

I like there logo,from horse rasp days. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3008.PNG
Views:	171
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	1886046

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                              I like there logo,from horse rasp days.
                              I've got a few with the horse logo, they are among my best files. Most of my other files have a fish logo: https://www.vallorbe.com/en-ch/company/brands

Comment

Working...
                              X