Cold Canadian Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold Canadian Air

Well, it's -11 F here in Southern Minnesota this morning. Even lower in Bemidji where I used to live! The weatherman on the tube always says it's the "Cold Canadian Air" coming down to visit us. One thing I have wondered for years is "why does that Canadian air always smell like meatloaf?"

2deg. F. above here in Eastern Maine this morning, and folks at the local store were talking how nice it is that the weather has gotten milder!

Comment

Heck, its -3 here in spots around St Louis. You won't believe what they say about that here. Something like "don't go out, you'll die instantly".
      Well, not quite, but they do think that is very cold.
      I remember that 0 was about right for X-country skiing, snow isn't sticky, but its still warm enough to enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

Oso, I once worked in St. Paul with a guy who had just come up from St. Louis. It was about -15 F one day and he called me for help starting his car. I got to his apartment, where he had the heat up to 85 and had his winter jacket on but was still shivering! We got his car started and drove a little way, the bias ply tires turning slowly with the frozen flat spot making the car bounce. The wide eyed look of fear on his face as he said "What's wrong with my car" was comical. To me, not to him. Within a year he was out skiing though! People from the southern climates can't believe what happens to machinery in really cold weather. The oil gets like tar and the engine cranking over makes a protesting sound like "aaNooooooo!" Then it quits and sits there like a silent stubborn child! I had a diesel Audi once and the coldest I was able to start it was -8F. I hear that in the real north they never shut off their vehicles.

Comment

It's -2F. here in Pa. this morning which is way colder than normal, but at least I now know what that strange "smell" is. By the way, here's the evidence of global warming, we're freezing!!!

Chris

Comment

I guess we are having a heat wave in central New Jersey. It was 3F when I went out this morning. Haven't quite gotten that meatloaf aroma down here. I guess the jet stream shifted a little south. Keep warm and let those chips fly.

Stephen

Comment

well here in kenora we are calling for a high today of -21 C which is about -6 F I think. the high yesterday was -24. up here in Canada that means you might want to consider a jacket if your headed outside, well at least a sweater.

Comment

Yesterday it was -46C with the windchill here in Kenora. That's -51F !!!!!!!

Comment

Thrud, is your sister cooking again??

Comment

In 1979 I was working in Leavenworth, KS. One January night it dropped to -60 with the wind chill. Was outside in it for approx 4 hours. A co-worker had the tip of his noose turn white! Significant in that he as Black! I still haven't warmed up!!!! I hate the cold!

------------------
                    John B
                    John B

Comment

You fellers are chearing me up. It was only down to 6 degrees F this morning when I got off work at 7. I love Missouri weather, probably get up into the 60's next week, you never know.

Heard it said about SW Missouri once, that it didn't have seasons, just weather. If you don't like the weather, wait a day or two and it will change.

Coldest I've ever seen it down here was -20F, cold enough for me while I was chopping ice to water the cows. Glad I don't have to take care of any livestock anymore, excepting a couple worthless dogs and some cats. But they are good buddies.

Comment

Halfnut, what part of Misssouri are you in?
                        I've seen colder'n -20 here in Nth Ala. Was long ago ...late 50's or early 60's tho. I'd think Missouri would boast some pretty cold wx. Don't mean to suggest that -20 isn't kinda nippy however, especially with a little breeze blowing.
                        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I think Thrud has found a way to deflect the jet stream.

Comment

It aint cold until you can throw a cup of hot water into the air and it don't touch the ground!
                            Rob

Comment

Bemidji, MN had the distinction of being the cold spot in the continental US the other night.. -26 F. Not so bad.. twenty years ago last week we had -90 F wind chill.. now THAT was cold. Minnesota wouldn't be too bad a place if it wasn't for the cold temps from Canada and the wind from North Dakota.

Comment

Working...
                              X