Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Local Inventions of note.

I live in Kelowna BC.
    one fellow invented the 90 degree pad that fits corners of a lumber stack under the steel strapping.. bet that sold well..first ones were steel.
    also the wiggle ratchet is from here, forget the trade name.. Stanley distributes it. I did some prototype work on it.

THE BIG ONE from here, was not an invention , but an auctioneer family.. Ritchie Bros started here.. a lot of the time they were bigger than their next 50 competitors combined..... a wee bit of a success story..

wiggle ratchet ???
    "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Will add more info later, bbl

Comment

Is this it? https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-89-96.../dp/B000HEKV1W

TX
        Mr fixit for the family
        Chris

Comment

Not that one, it works by twisting the handle without moving in an arc.

Comment

Have never seen one, but sounds great for no-room-to-swing situations.
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

Finland, the safety reflector. Also Linux and the IRC protocol and the SMS protocol.

Comment

I live in Riverton, NJ where the Japanese Beetle was first introduced to North America, got that going for us at least.

Comment

I was born in Silicon Valley. There's been a few things developed here. So much that the US Patent office located one of the few patent libraries not far from where I was born.

Personally, there have been a few inventions that I contributed to while working at the Phone Company. My name is not on any of the patents since I was just a techie that made things work.
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
                    I live in Kelowna BC.
                    one fellow invented the 90 degree pad that fits corners of a lumber stack under the steel strapping.. bet that sold well..first ones were steel.
                    also the wiggle ratchet is from here, forget the trade name.. Stanley distributes it. I did some prototype work on it.

THE BIG ONE from here, was not an invention , but an auctioneer family.. Ritchie Bros started here.. a lot of the time they were bigger than their next 50 competitors combined..... a wee bit of a success story..
                    I designed and built a 36' self propelled ladder over 20 yrs ago,does that qualify lol!

Comment

If you like air conditioning, thank Buffalo NY.

-Doozer
                      DZER

Comment

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                        wiggle ratchet ???
                        Quit jiggle jerking your wiggle ratchet. Someone might see you.

-D
                        DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                          If you like air conditioning, thank Buffalo NY.

-Doozer
                          Yep, Buffalo for air conditioning and chicken wings -- at the Anchor Bar on Main St at the corner of North st. https://anchorbar.com/ at some time back in the 1930's (Depression-era soul food.... Buffalo is loaded with it)

Comment

About 20 years I signed a NDA with a mad scientist/inventor to develop and build numerical controlled reversing valves for consumer heat pumps, the existing technolgy used refrigerant pressure to shift the valve body from heating to cooling. This resulted in only 2 possible positions for the valve state. Heat or Cool.

I produced a prototype that used a stepper motor coupled to a lead screw that could control the valve position depending on the condition of the fluid, temp, pressure and flow rate etc.

This was a somewhat expensive process as you can imagine. He was, after 10+ years and countless dollars, granted a patent on the particular control scheme. The reversing valve itself had been invented decades before.

To this day I do not know if any large equipment manufacturers have ever used it, I vaguely remember that he sold the patent to a very large company for little money.

Last edited by Bented; 07-11-2020, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Quit jiggle jerking your wiggle ratchet. Someone might see you.
                              No chance. They went blind.

Comment

Working...
                              X