Lathe Moving Dolly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Apr 2017

Brian, why not just use it as a mobile tool station? Beside or near the machine while working, push out of way when finished. You can lay out tools and work in progress on the top.

Comment

• brian Rupnow
      • Mar 2008

754--My machine shop is 7 foot x 8 foot. I have a lathe, a mill, a belt sander, a shop vac and a drill sharpener in it. By the time I get in there too, there isn't enough room left for an umbrella stand.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• J Tiers
        • Jan 2004

Same size as mine..... I feel your pain

I have several toolboxes, a lathe, an arbor press, a 6 foot x 30" bench and the carbide grinder (wet grinder) in there. Mill and drill press have to live outside it, and all dry grinders have to live across the basement from there.

Yeah, it's tight, and I need to get another lathe and mill in there still
        CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
        Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
        Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
        I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
        Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• darryl
          • Jan 2003

That's pretty cool Brian. I love innovation, seeing a vision of something come to life. Even if it is just a cart of some kind.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

• mickeyf
            • Aug 2010

Understood that you have to get through the doorways, but that narrow cart is going to be nervous-making top heavy. I'm sure it will work, but do be careful please!
            "A machinist's (WHAP!) best friend (WHAP! WHAP!) is his hammer. (WHAP!)" - Fred Tanner, foreman, Lunenburg Foundry and Engineering machine shop, circa 1979

Comment

• J Tiers
              • Jan 2004

About that narrow cart..... One could put a couple foldable outriggers on it, so that it could not tip far. Foldable so they can be laid back against the side and get through doors. While in the doorway, especially if it is not a lot narrower than the doorway, the thing can't fall far anyway, so you do not lose much.
              Last edited by J Tiers; 07-13-2020, 09:53 PM.
              CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
              Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
              Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
              I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
              Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

• Noitoen
                • Oct 2013

Originally posted by darryl View Post
                That's pretty cool Brian. I love innovation, seeing a vision of something come to life. Even if it is just a cart of some kind.
                He did't follow the project though. The angle irons are bolted the wrong way
                Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

• Sparky_NY
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by mickeyf View Post
                  Understood that you have to get through the doorways, but that narrow cart is going to be nervous-making top heavy. I'm sure it will work, but do be careful please!
                  Totally agree. Extreme caution is in order. Lathes tipping sideways is the most common crash due to being extremely top heavy and having a narrow depth.
                  Last edited by Sparky_NY; 07-14-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• Glug
                    • Jan 2013

Well Hello Dolly!

I'm sure that will be fine and with two people you can inch it along carefully. You could ratchet strap the dolly to the base for the transfer, so there is complete stability.

Guru of no signature

Comment

• Black Forest
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

I am such a dick that I can't even keep a girlfriend, let alone a wife.

-D
                      If you were really a dick you would have the girls lined up in front of your shop!

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

• Doozer
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Black Forest View Post

If you were really a dick you would have the girls lined up in front of your shop!
                        Maybe I am approaching this wrong.
                        Women love a bad boy.
                        Maybe I need to pull their hair
                        and tell them to make me a sandwitch.

-Doozer
                        DZER

Comment

• metalmagpie
                          • Oct 2002

Two big guys from Home Depot could move that thing for $100.

I applaud your initiative. But that cart is going to be very top-heavy, and the small casters can easily be stopped by a pebble. Sweep before rolling. And if it goes over, let it go. Smashing up a machine is much better than getting injured.

I concur with the suggestion to use a 600 lb hydraulic lift cart. All old guys should have one. It will roll through the narrowest door and match any height. Also, the casters lock securely so you can push a load onto or off of it without it rolling away.

Finally, you should start a local metalworking club. That's where you get helpers.

metalmagpie

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                            • Mar 2008

The lathe is repaired and today I fetched it home (more later). This picture shows the lathe freshly unloaded from my truck and bolted to the dolly. It is still hooked to my cherrypicker hoist in this picture. The cart worked perfectly, and the lathe is back in it's home in the machine shop. I never did get my son to help. He works two jobs and couldn't come by until Thursday and I couldn't wait. Yes, it was top heavy, but I knew it would be. The dolly was very stable and when I pulled/pushed it from my main garage, thru my office and into my machine shop, it was a fairly simple move to slide it off the dolly onto the cabinets it mounts on.
                            Brian Rupnow
                            Design engineer
                            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• Mcgyver
                              • Mar 2005

good job, no people or machines got hurt. What was wrong with it?
                              located in Toronto Ontario

Comment

• brian Rupnow
                                • Mar 2008

So--Here's the "rest of the story". One picture is of the gear cover that sets on the end of my lathe to protect my fingers from the gears. Notice the bent bracket at the lower right corner of it. That bent bracket pushes on a switch which disables the electrics on the lathe if the guard is removed. I haven't had that cover off the lathe in more than a year. Somehow---Perhaps metal fatigue? the bracket bent far enough that it no longer pushed on the button, and consequently the lathe stopped right in the middle of a cut. The switch it presses on is right below the gears and is virtually impossible to see unless you stand on your head to look for it. When I left the lathe in Concord at Busy Bee, I told them that my rpm indicator only worked intermittently and please either fix it or replace it, as well as please fix whatever is wrong that I have no power to the lathe. They replaced the rpm indicator, scratched their heads a bit and then found that bending the bracket by hand fixed things so it pushed the button and restored power to the lathe. I either didn't know, or else forgot that switch was even there.They charged two hours labor and the price of the new readout. My bill came to $129. So, they treated me quite honestly I think. They could have told me it needed a new motor and charged me another couple of hundred dollars but they didn't.

Brian Rupnow
                                Design engineer
                                Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                                X