No announcement yet.

Interesting support grinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I recently bought a surface grinder spindle that the previous owner (machine shop) mounted to a turret lathe for a particular grinding operation that they did frequently - shop owner mentioned what they used it for but the answer was a bit over my head and I only cared to know that the spindle was working correctly. Maybe the commercial part the OP mentioned/showed the image from was for a similar use. Hopefully my grinder spindle image will load (I can see it in preview)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	surf grinder spindle.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1888521
    Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post
      I recently bought a surface grinder spindle that the previous owner (machine shop) mounted to a turret lathe for a particular grinding operation that they did frequently - shop owner mentioned what they used it for but the answer was a bit over my head and I only cared to know that the spindle was working correctly. Maybe the commercial part the OP mentioned/showed the image from was for a similar use. Hopefully my grinder spindle image will load (I can see it in preview)
      Click image for larger version

Name:	surf grinder spindle.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	1888521
      Link to auction or auctioneer?

Comment

I would think that the spindle speed would be an indicator of the intended use. It appears to be a direct drive from the motor shaft so I wonder what the rated RPM would be.
        Paul A.
        SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
        You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I could be wrong, but it appears to have a vernier dial on it. If so, it can be set to a fraction of a degree easily. Whatever application it was purposed for, it needed to have great accuracy in its angle adjustment. Good for tapers- whether you're grinding them, or boring them using a specialty rotating boring tool.

Sure does seem like it would be good for regrinding morse tapers in situ.

I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee View Post

Or a radial drill press.

Any name tags or anything on it ??

JL.....
            Thats the first thing I thought of when I saw the castings I saw big drill press.

Very nice looking machine. JR

Comment

I located a new unit the same as the one I showed a picture of in the original post. The new one sells for just under 3000 Euros. It is made to mount on a grinder.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Link to auction or auctioneer?
                Auction was a couple of weeks ago, I was the winning bidder at $6 (including auction premium & sales tax)
                Metro Detroit

Comment

Originally posted by aribert View Post

Auction was a couple of weeks ago, I was the winning bidder at $6 (including auction premium & sales tax)
                  Doesn't answer the question. Auction listing stay up for months after the auction is over.
                  Auctioneers website please?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Doesn't answer the question. Auction listing stay up for months after the auction is over.
                    Auctioneers website please?
                    https://rjmauctions.com, Do-rite tool was the name of the company being liquidated.
                    Metro Detroit

Comment

Working...
                    X