The NEW Ford Bronco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NEW Ford Bronco

People are going crazy over it, already selling out certain models.
    I'm thinking the silent majority, which I am one of, is thinking, "I'm not touching this with a 100 ft pole", being that it is a Ford after all. I mean, it does look cool, but all that "Ford Engineering" is going to fail in a fantastical Ford way, and the owner will have to foot the bill. Guess we'll all know in five years.

My last post criticizing an engineering choice was deleted along with another posters quote. I wonder how long this post will last? Am I being targeted?

Comment

Any vehicle with a computer is bullshlt.
      That is my determining factor.
      You can have your bling and you monthly payments.

-Doozer
      DZER

Comment

On the other hand, maybe it's good thing. The current Jeeps can barely make it through a mud puddle. By the way, I've owned both and liked both after Chrysler finally fixed all the broken front-end bolts and bad ignition coils.

Comment

Looks cool. Certainly a shot across the bow of Jeep. Not a practical vehicle for my needs, so I'll never own one, but will be cool to see them on the road. Always nice seeing different vehicles and things that stand out. I think Ford is going to knock this out of the park. Keep the recalls low, and quality up and it's going to be a long term winner.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
            My last post criticizing an engineering choice was deleted along with another posters quote. I wonder how long this post will last? Am I being targeted?
            Not targeting you and I don't remember the post, but any post that dispareges ethinic groups or contains a political statement or a statement that will likley bring political replies is deleted. I guarentee it was one of those two reasons.

Now, back to the Bronco. I had '76 when young, one of the last of the first style body. Was terrible to drive on the road and terrible offroad too. Later had a CJ7 that had three times the miles and ten times the abuse that drove like a Cadilac in comparison.

I picked up an '81 that had been owned by the Wyoming Fish and Game department that turned out to be my all time favorite car. Had a straight six, manual trans with a granny first gear, no carpet, just rubber flooring, and a huge gas tank. It had a habit of wearing out brakes but other than that it was trouble free.

I'm quite sure this new Bronco is similar to my '81 in name only.
            George
            Traverse City, MI

Comment

This means many vehicles from the previous fads will suddenly be selling cheap. If Ford had been smart, they would have launched sales of the original Bronco body shell to custom builders at the same time. Heck I would buy one of those and immediately put a 2.8l Cummins/Dana drive train in it.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

I picked up an '81 that had been owned by the Wyoming Fish and Game department that turned out to be my all time favorite car. Had a straight six, manual trans with a granny first gear, no carpet, just rubber flooring, and a huge gas tank. It had a habit of wearing out brakes but other than that it was trouble free.

I'm quite sure this new Bronco is similar to my '81 in name only.
                Uncle had an 87' with the fuel injected 300, that engine was bullet proof, but also got good mileage. He had nearly 300k on it when he sold it on.

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post

Uncle had an 87' with the fuel injected 300, that engine was bullet proof, but also got good mileage. He had nearly 300k on it when he sold it on.
                  I bought a new 95 F150 mainly because I heard the 300 was on its way out. Fuel injection helped a lot with power and mileage. That was a great truck too, still had manual windows. Paid 13K for it off the lot and got my money's worth with that one.
                  George
                  Traverse City, MI

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience View Post
                    This means many vehicles from the previous fads will suddenly be selling cheap. If Ford had been smart, they would have launched sales of the original Bronco body shell to custom builders at the same time. Heck I would buy one of those and immediately put a 2.8l Cummins/Dana drive train in it.
                    Dennis Carpenter makes a very well built 1st gen Bronco body that has been officially licensed by Ford. So I'm sure that while their finger is in the pie it would also likely be built to a standard. I've read good things about them.
                    The 2.8L Cummins/Dana drivetrain would be a damn nice combo. Think I'd rather have it than what will likely be an infotainment embellished "new" Bronco complete with all of the baggage that entails.

Bells and whistles while nice at times does not in my mind at least belong in vehicle with the mission of off-roading being a predominate role.
                    Why do they even bother with carpet? Oh yeah, for the boulevard and mall cruisers....I forgot.
                    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I bought a new 95 F150 mainly because I heard the 300 was on its way out. Fuel injection helped a lot with power and mileage. That was a great truck too, still had manual windows.
                      I had one of those, but with electric windows. Great truck. Never an issue. My 1990 F250 w/460 just keeps going. Probably no stopping it if not for the rust. A combination of Michigan road salt and Ocean coastal air is not kind to vehicles.

But what I really love about that F250 are the quarter windows. Best feature ever. Huge airflow, doesn't bring water in when raining, and it doesn't mess up smoking a cigar, even on the highway.

Comment

Hmmm, not sure about this. I guess it will appeal to those who want a little more ruggedness (IF it is rugged) than their jelly bean shaped run about SUV that looks like every other SUV on the road.

My concern is it is the same cheap, thin steel, stamped SUV sub frame parts, but with new body panels. Remember the GM Hummer? Simply body panels, and nothing more.

While the Jeeps had frame rust problems, much of them were still pretty rugged, up into the early 1990s. Our 2014 Wrangler is clearly thinner materials than my son's 1981. I prefer driving that manual, straight six '81 than the newer models.

I don't think much of Mahindra's quality, but their non street legal, Jeep look alike, is interesting with its basic diesel and manual trans option. However, if it is all loaded into the now omnipresent tin can quality frame, I'd pass.

We'll see how the Bronco goes, but sure looks like they are going to sell.

S E Michigan

Comment

Anybody remember the International Scout? Now there's a MAN's off road vehicle!!

I never owned one, but when I was stationed in Idaho (late 70's/early 80's) if you ventured up into the mountains about half the vehicles you'd see would be Scouts.
                          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by Willy View Post

Bells and whistles while nice at times does not in my mind at least belong in vehicle with the mission of off-roading being a predominate role.
                            Why do they even bother with carpet? Oh yeah, for the boulevard and mall cruisers....I forgot.
                            Amen to that, I am planning a truck build at some point. The cab interior will be a sprayed in Linex floor and Linex a foot up the cab walls. Clean up will be a garden hose and a scrub brush as a truck should be.

Comment

I bought a new 95 F150 mainly because I heard the 300 was on its way out. Fuel injection helped a lot with power and mileage. That was a great truck too, still had manual windows. Paid 13K for it off the lot and got my money's worth with that one.
                              Those late 80's to mid 90's Ford fuel systems were good, simple as a wagon wheel and very reliable.

Comment

Working...
                              X