1930's John Deere Unstyled Wide Front End Swivel Pin Removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1930's John Deere Unstyled Wide Front End Swivel Pin Removal

Has anyone ever changed the 2 pins on the bolster swivel on a wide front for a unstyled John Deere Click image for larger version

Name:	9A3F24EA-3606-45F1-8FFA-5E5275930540.jpeg
Views:	282
Size:	184.9 KB
ID:	1887270 A or B. The 2 pins on the one I'm working on are very pitted and I want to replace them. I can machine new ones on my lathe but not sure how they were put in the there and held in place. There is nothing that keeps them from working themselves out so the only thing I can think of is the front swivel casting was pre heated and the pins put in while hot and it shrunk back down with a tight fit. Anyone have any opinions on getting them out without breaking the casting. Here is a photo of the casting and pins. thanks Paul

How hard is the pin? Since there's already a hole in it for greasing, if it's not too hard maybe you could drill it out as much as possible and then use a die grinder with a carbide burr to cut a groove or two in it length ways. That would allow it to collapse and be removed. You could also make a puller out of a piece of pipe, a threaded plate and and some decent all thread. Weld the all thread to the shaft, slip the pipe and plate over the all thread and then use a nut on the all thread to put some serious tension on the shaft and heat the casting. It might pop loose. You could even try a honking big slide hammer and see it that moves the shaft. You might even be able to use an oxy-acetylene torch to burn it out, but that would take someone with experience to do.

Comment

Thanks Arcane. I could definitely cut it out with oxy-acetylene. Done lots of that in the past. My only concern is keeping it in place once I machine a new one. Not sure how it was done back in the 30's. I guess it could be loctited in place. Curious how they did it back then.

Comment

Originally posted by pb57 View Post
        Thanks Arcane. I could definitely cut it out with oxy-acetylene. Done lots of that in the past. My only concern is keeping it in place once I machine a new one. Not sure how it was done back in the 30's. I guess it could be loctited in place. Curious how they did it back then.
        Were it me, I'd also post on targeted sites, like Yesterday's Tractors and Smokestack.
        Fine to solicit ideas, but if you want how it was originally done, then.....

Comment

Some things to consider: 1) is it part of the casting? 2) Was it cast in place with some retaining detail to maintain the location? 3) If a "Show Tractor" as oposed to a "Use Tractor" you could clean up the rust and sleave the pin. If using a sleeve is there enough material in the mating part to allow boring to fit the sleeve?

Comment

Be sure the pin is not part of the casting, you maybe able to use a grinder and compare the sparks, also could look for a parts break down and see if they show two parts.
            Many old castings were made this way. Cheak and see if there is a John Deere club in your aria.

Jon
            SW Mi

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys. It is not a part of the original casting as I can see the bored area in the casting where the pin was installed as well as a spark check for two different materials. I did post on yesterdays tractors as well. I will probably clean it up and make a bushing to fit the mating part. thanks Paul

Comment

Wish I could help, but I've never worked on a wide front A/B/G.

For what it's worth, the parts book shows the axle and pins as one piece:
                https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...on/pgId/177101
                Last edited by Galaxie; 07-16-2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

I will second posting on Yesterday's Tractors , the Tractor Talk or John Deere, (or both) forums.

Comment

thanks Galaxie and wd

Comment

Originally posted by Galaxie View Post
                      Wish I could help, but I've never worked on a wide front A/B/G.

For what it's worth, the parts book shows the axle and pins as one piece:
                      https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/...on/pgId/177101
                      Also note in the description the housing is referred to as "..., with pivot pins" Addressing the pins as with the housing under the same part number tells me that they are indeed separate, but not intended to be sold or serviced separately from the main housing. Sounds like it's best to leave them in place and come up with a way to make them round and fit some bushings.

Comment

There is a good chance that the pins were cast into the piece, i.e., placed in the mold and the cast iron poured in around them.
                        Peter
                        Grantham, New Hampshire

Comment

Working...
                        X