Rivett 70S Lathe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

AAahahhhhhhahahahahahahah funny cuz its *so* true.....
    Lol. Little old lady driven, only taken to church on Sunday.
    Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Dredging up an old post here, but a similar machine popped up again at HGR, this time more in HGR-type shape with some rust and such.

https://hgrinc.com/productDetail/Mac...e/12200880001/

Interesting thing about this one is it's a 60 series - another Rivett that most people (including myself) would have no idea existed. What caught my eye about this one was the drive system, which seems pretty complicated and yet would probably fall short of what Hardinge was offering at the time (I'm assuming that a Hardinge DV-series would have been the major competitor for this machine). It looks like it may have a DC generator coupled to the 3-phase motor, which then drives the spindle motor? But also has 2 steps between the spindle and countershaft and 4 steps between the countershaft and motor? Based on the controls my guess would be that the motor is two speed, giving 16 speeds in forward and 16 speeds in reverse? Seems like an awfully complicated way to cobble together what someone considered a high-tech drive system. Take the DC motor from Monarch, step pulleys from traditional lathes, and 2-speed motor from Hardinge. Makes me wonder if it wasn't an instance of sales driving the design bus and trying to sell the lathes based on what they (sales) considered cutting edge technology.
      For Sale: Used Rivett Rivett 957-1003-5c Lathe Model 957-1003-5c In Used Condition--$899.00. Capacity Of 9
      Cayuga, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        This little 15" x 15" LeBlond is really dirty.

Who would not absolutely love this little guy in their home shop ???

It is not even the lowly Regal, it is the Heavy Duty.

Likely an ordnance lathe. Real piece of history.

Lol that things a hoot. I can't imagine ordering something that short. Surely the extra 15 inches couldn't be that expensive. Hell, I roll the carriage back 15+" sometimes just to measure depth and whatnot. Neat but... would not want.
        21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
        1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post

Lol that things a hoot. I can't imagine ordering something that short. Surely the extra 15 inches couldn't be that expensive. Hell, I roll the carriage back 15+" sometimes just to measure depth and whatnot. Neat but... would not want.
          It would cover 80% of what I've done

Comment

That 70S is interesting, because it is a Leland-Gifford version, kinda "post-Rivett", and made probably not so long before L-G trucked the entire factory and all the records to a landfill and tipped it all in.

A real "plain turning" lathe, For what it was intended to do, no need for threading. 2nd ops.
            Last edited by J Tiers; 12-24-2020, 01:34 AM.
            CNC machines only go through the motions

Comment

860 pounds for a 9 X 20 is good, but only gets runner up prize, the Smart & Brown model A 9 X 20 is 14 cwt 2 quarters, thats 1624 pounds.
              Last edited by old mart; 12-24-2020, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X