Indicator Crystal Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by macona View Post
    Crystals for indicators start as a flat piece and then a tool is used to deform them and they spring back into places as a dome in the ring.

l[/url]
    I'm very surprised they'd say that and go that route. I have not seen a in situ dome that sits flat on bench, included OEM new parts for indicators.

I've done lots of replacements on watches and indicators and haven't seen on that wasn't doomed. i can say with some certainty for watches they are always domed, I've 1000's of crystals 'in stock' of a wide variety of shape and size and none are flat. I suppose its a bit a function of how much doom you want/need, but for the dome shapes you see on most indicators, it would take what I'd think to be excessive force to impart that shape

There are indicators with flat crystals of course that are held by retaining rings, but that's a different thing.

The easiest and cheapest replacements imo are the china on ebay with free shaping. You get the right shape and good quality crystal for a couple of bucks. The other suggestion is to refinish the crystal - I do that more often than buing a new one. Pop it out and start with fine emery & water, worked up to brasso and you get a very clear new like finish
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-25-2020, 06:25 AM.
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Im just going off a crystal that popped out on me once, it flattened out. But there could be domed ones too, I have no idea.

Comment

Plastic ones can be flat.

I'd say that ANY glass "crystal" would already be domed, and would have only minimal deflection required. That is sort of inherent in glass.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
          I use this tool to replace <.001"> drop indicator crystals, only $16.00 + shipping, can't be beat.
          https://www.amazon.com/HFS-0-001-IND...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
          Perhaps you meant this link: https://www.amazon.com/Ohuhu-Watch-P...5698942&sr=8-5

Comment

Originally posted by macona View Post
            Im just going off a crystal that popped out on me once, it flattened out. But there could be domed ones too, I have no idea.
            no doubt LII sees just a few more of them than I do, just surprised me as I haven't seen a flat one on indicators or dial calipers etc and you never do with watch work....it would sure make it easier to roll your own
            Last edited by Mcgyver; 07-25-2020, 05:31 PM.
            in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
              No, a new drop indicator for $18.00
              For general comparative use I buy several of these at a time, if they last a few months in a busy machine shop you are ahead of the game, drop one, smash one or just plain lose one it is no big deal. Linear accuracy is unimportant when making comparative measurements such as setting a round part in a lathe chuck or squaring a part or vice on a mill table.
              If you need accurate linear measurement us a more expensive indicator.
              https://www.amazon.com/Indicator-Res...701114&sr=8-32

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                I use this tool to replace <.001"> drop indicator crystals, only $16.00 + shipping, can't be beat.
                https://www.amazon.com/HFS-0-001-IND...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
                "Currently unavailable" - you might be responsible for a run on them Is there another one you favor, or are they all the same?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post

"Currently unavailable" - you might be responsible for a run on them Is there another one you favor, or are they all the same?
                  Updated the link in the post just above.
                  The indicators branded Turlen are fairly robust, have had one for the last year or so that is used everyday, around $25.00.
                  If I need accurate linear measurements I use Mitutoyo, Starrett or Interapid tools, breaking one of these will truly piss me off, I mosty keep them in the tool box.

Also buy several Vinca 6" digital calipers at a time, $20.00 or so, for measuring fasteners and mill finish stock, these are accurate enough for the work and last 6 months or so.
                  Why use a $200.00 carbide faced caliper to measure scaled hot rolled steel?
                  They do not like coolant however.
                  $1200.00 worth of Mitutoyo, B&S & Starrett micrometers, calipers and gauges and a $22.00 digital caliper, go figure (-:

https://www.amazon.com/DCLA-0405-Cal...s%2C149&sr=8-4
                  Last edited by Bented; 07-25-2020, 05:10 PM.

Comment

This one is supposed to be waterproof IP54 Caliper (The link gets "trimmed")
                    https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Wate...NsaWNrPXRydWU=
                    Last edited by Noitoen; 07-25-2020, 05:09 PM.
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I put a new crystal in a BesTest DTI a few weeks ago. I watched several youtube videos first and heard several complaints about the quality of the cheap china crystal presses. On some the top dies are too far out out square to be used. I decided to make a press die for my 1T arbor press and it worked well. I sketched up a design in fusion with a wide base for stability and a pusher plug that was domed roughly the same as the final crystal. I made the bottom die about 1/16" smaller diameter than the opening in the indicator bezel so the bezel would drop over it. I had some UHMW-PE plastic laying around and I knew it was soft enough to not mar the crystal. I bought a replacement crystal from ebay. They are flat with a bevel around the edge. The edge bevel makes the edges mate to the indicator square when the crystal is domed. I didn't have a lathe so I had to cut the dies out on the mill. The dies look a bit choppy because I used tabs and cut them free from the stock w/ side cutters. It would be 10x easier to make the dies on a lathe. The arbor press gave me plenty of control over the pressure, it wasn't overkill. It took less than a minute to install the crystal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	1890188

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	1890189

Name:	4.PNG
Views:	70
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	1890190

Name:	BesTest Crystal.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	1890187

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1890191

Comment

Made a 21" diameter part this morning, used the AARP indicator, 3" diameter dial for old people like myself with poor eyesight, it is a joy to use.

Also had to change the chuck for 1 part, this is always a joyous occasion.
                        Last edited by Bented; 08-03-2020, 07:48 PM.

Comment

@Bented:

"...used the AARP indicator, 3" diameter dial for old people like myself with poor eyesight, it is a joy to use."

What make is that indicator?

Comment

Mitutoyo, not expensive as measuring tools go. I bought this one from MSC for $150.00 or so, you can get one from amazon for slightly less https://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-3416.../dp/B0006J3ZBQ

However the 30" tall NOGA articulating magnetic stand was what I consider expensive, $250.00 +, it does have a 2" X 6" magnetic base that is extremely stout, it is however very heavy, putting it on and taking it off the machine over the parts 25 times per day quickly grows tiresome, if they make the same tool with very light carbon fibre tube arms I would buy one. (are you listening NOGA)

It is a large beastie, typical home shop sized indicator stand on the left.
                            Last edited by Bented; 08-03-2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
                              @Bented:

"...used the AARP indicator, 3" diameter dial for old people like myself with poor eyesight, it is a joy to use."

What make is that indicator?
                              3" diameter dial for old people.....

Comment

Starrett made them also. "For old people".... or for when you cannot be right by it, and need to see it from a distance.

Keep eye on ball.
                                Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                                X