OT? Shopping Tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT? Shopping Tip

Two days ago I was shopping. I have been making weekly runs to the grocery stores and Walmart during this "shut-down" period.

One thing I have been doing is checking out the section where Walmart sells seasonal items: beach and picnic items at the start of summer, holiday items in October through December, etc. Right now it is mid to late summer and they have school supplies in that area and this is my favorite time for shopping there. I have purchased notebooks, paper, pens, and many items there.

One of the things I always look for at this particular time is calculators. I have mentioned my habit of purchasing reading glasses and leaving them at the various places around the house and shop where I use them. Well, I just realized that I am doing the same thing with calculators. I have at least a half dozen calculators and they are scattered around the house and shop at almost every place where I may want to use one: bedroom, office, two in the shop, kitchen table, etc.

On this trip I found a real gem of a calculator: a Casio, scientific style that also does fractions. It is solar powered so it does not need batteries, ever. And the cost was under $8. I quickly grabbed one and probably should have grabbed several but that would be greedy.

I'm not sure just where I will keep this one, but it just may go to my second shop bench where I still do not have one. There you go, that makes it shop related.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Is it a Casio fx-260 solar?

Like you, I have calcs scattered all over the house and shop. The Casios (and probably others) have had the fraction capability for a long time. They're very rugged; the keys keep working unlike so many of the chincrap. Now if they would only come out with a programmable RPN model.

I also have a Casio watch...

https://www.amazon.com/Casio-WVA-M64...olar+powered+w atches

Solar-powered, no battery and updates time daily via reception of a time signal. Best watch I've ever had.
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I have two Sharp EL-509A calculators, one for the shop and one I keep handy when I am at the computer. I'd be lost without them.

Comment

I have a solar powered slide rule. If there is light I can see it and it works.

Comment

I have a digital slide rule - I have to use my fingers...
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Go here...

https://www.educalc.net/2336231.page

and download and install the HP35s emulator; you'll have a programmable RPN calculator as a pop-up on your computer. And unlike the real thing, made in China, the keys on this one actually work. It also recognizes a number of keys on the computer keyboard.
            Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Years ago I bought a HP 33s calculator at Walmart. That was my first experience with RPN, but I immediately loved it. Then a couple of years ago I wanted another one to keep in a different room, but the 33s was no longer available and used ones on ebay were sky high; so I got a HP 35s, to give me the RPN. Maybe it's just a matter of familiarity, but I find that 35s far less user friendly than my old 33s.

In truth I don't really make a lot of frequent use of either one. Most of my calculations these days I can do in my head. I mainly use the calculator to check myself.
              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

A teacher told me the first thing to go bad with your mind, was your multiplication tables: first the tens, then the nines, then the--------

Comment

I've got 10 or so Casio's between home and work, some I bought new, some I picked out the dumpster. The ones in the dumpster were cleaned out of an abandoned office, they were solar models and not working when I got them. However there is very much a battery inside that does die eventually. I replaced four batteries for $4 and got 4 working calcs out the deal.
                  I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

My local W-mart has the Casio fx-260 on "roll-back". Under 8 bucks.

Haven't bought a calculator in a loooong time. The old Casio fx5000f is still working great. I'm wondering, is the quality still there in the Casio line? They always were a top notch unit.

Comment

If you can't multiply by ten, run, don't walk but run, to the nearest old folks home and check in.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                      A teacher told me the first thing to go bad with your mind, was your multiplication tables: first the tens, then the nines, then the--------
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Well, I have only had it for two days, but so far it looks great. I am not hard on calculators and have some that go back 30, 40 years or more and are still working. Just keep them at a "social distance" away from your coffee cup or can of Coke.

Originally posted by tom_d View Post
                        My local W-mart has the Casio fx-260 on "roll-back". Under 8 bucks.

Haven't bought a calculator in a loooong time. The old Casio fx5000f is still working great. I'm wondering, is the quality still there in the Casio line? They always were a top notch unit.
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

My phone has an awesome calculator on my home screen and I use it daily. The phone is usually as close as my pocket so it's the only calculator that I need. Same for video and still camera, level, light meter, sound meter and a bunch of other apps.
                          OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Comment

I get on a calculator mood from time to time. The odd one I really like. Most all are solar powered now- but I got a good laugh one day. I was playing around with solar tracking and thought it would be good to do this with solar cells. So I bought a couple of 'solar powered' calculators for a buck each . Took them apart, and the solar panel was just a decoration. There were no wires, no place to attach wires- complete fake.

Was at a friends house one day and they had a gift for me- wrapped in colored paper and all- it was a big button calculator. Something about me needing glasses-
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

What's RPN?

Comment

Working...
                              X