No announcement yet.

Does anyone here have an Axelson Lathe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone here have an Axelson Lathe?

HI Guys, I'm on the look out for an Axelson lathe apron clutch handle... My last 16 x 30 and my new 16 x30 and my new 20 x 78 were all missing that handle... In fact I've been looking for one to copy for about 6 years now..

I have seen pictures of one and know they exist , but I'm beginning to think they are like a unicorn Lots of pictures but not real! I've been looking at a lot of Axelsons lately and never seen one intact....

Steve

Hey swatkins. If PM was no help I suspect you won't find much here. A lot 10" and other lathes here, not many big boys, and none of the regulars I know have an Axleson. I've been meaning to watch your videos after seeing your haul on PM. That was a lucky find, Axelsons are pretty rare, especially a whole pile of them like that. I say if you can't find any evidence of the handle but know how it needs to function, just make one to your own style, matching the photos as closely as you like.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

One can always hope I can always make something just hoping to find an original. I looked at about 20 Axelsons in the last month and not one of them had one Over the last 6 years I have been on the lookout for a handle, steady rest and a taper attachment bed clamp for the 16 x 30 I just sold ... I ended up with a clamp.... I just bought a 20" and it had the steady rest but nothing else...

I've been looking at the 16 x 30 I was given a few weeks ago trying to decide if it was worth a rebuild ( it is! ) and now I need a handle for it too ;(

This is a short clip of the 20 x 78 I just brought home

Comment

Steve-
        People here think small.
        To them, moving a machine over 500 lbs
        might as well be the same
        as moving the pyramids in Egypt.
        Seriously.
        Not being negative
        just stating a fact.
        Some people have a box
        that they feel comfortable
        operating within.
        Anything outside that box
        is danger.
        Paralyzing danger.
        Which again, is fine.
        But it severely limits
        one's world experience.
        Some people hide
        from the world,
        because they can't
        handle it, or
        choose not to
        deal with it.
        Their thoughts
        and actions
        have been programmed
        by the public education curriculum
        and propaganda conveyed
        through television and media.
        All part of the government's plan
        to cultivate obedient citizens.
        Part of that message is
        fear going outside your box,
        the box that was programmed with
        it's boundaries for you to live within.
        Buying heavy machines is clearly
        outside the box that
        our overlords want us to
        operate within.
        So hence we have only
        small lathes on this board.

--Doozer
        DZER

Comment

Would love to have an Axelson, but no -- not only do I not have that kind of money, but no way will you fit one in a double wide trailer. Doozer, there are practical considerations sometimes -- I know of one job shop in Buffalo with a 25x78 Heavy Duty and no, it isn't for sale.
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            …. I know of one job shop in Buffalo with a 25x78 Heavy Duty and no, it isn't for sale.
            Dang It ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

-D
            DZER

Comment

If you watch my Doozer's Shop channel,
              you know I been banging on a

Colchester 17x54 lathe with 3-1/8" spindle hole, swing 26" with the gap out.

I suspect it will fill the need for a while.
              Any large diameter but short work,
              I have a 4 jaw lathe chuck that fits on the HBM.
              Thinking of making some custom truck rims for
              my fire truck some day. Might come in handy.
              Bigger tools just expand what you can work on.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by swatkins View Post
                HI Guys, I'm on the look out for an Axelson lathe apron clutch handle... My last 16 x 30 and my new 16 x30 and my new 20 x 78 were all missing that handle... In fact I've been looking for one to copy for about 6 years now..

I have seen pictures of one and know they exist , but I'm beginning to think they are like a unicorn Lots of pictures but not real! I've been looking at a lot of Axelsons lately and never seen one intact....

Steve
                Like this? It’s on my 20w by 80 project. Not for sale but could do pictures and measure.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
                  Steve-
                  People here think small.
                  To them, moving a machine over 500 lbs
                  might as well be the same
                  as moving the pyramids in Egypt.
                  Buying heavy machines is clearly
                  outside the box that
                  our overlords want us to
                  operate within.
                  So hence we have only
                  small lathes on this board.

--Doozer
                  Not everyone here has small lathes under 500 pounds, and some of the people here that do have small lathes is do to cramped space or other challenging situations not necessarily due to fear.
                  I once owned a 36X144 and had it shoehorned into a single car garage. I had a nice Tarnow 16X96 that I hated to sell but I had no choice at the time, I also hauled off for scrap my Axelson 20X48 because it wasn't practical to try to power a 440v. 3ph. 20hp. 7500lb. lathe in my home shop and I couldn't find a buyer that fit the time line I was stuck with on a move. Not all of this was one event, this was over a forty year period. I am down to a 16X54 Leblond and a Bridgeport mill, and I'm not sure how much longer I will keep them, but fear has nothing to do with it.

Steve

Comment

All the guys with big machines are over on Practical Machinist.
                    I don't belong here.
                    Maybe you don't either.

-D
                    DZER

Comment

It’s not the size of the lathe. It’s what you do with it

Comment

Originally posted by SVS View Post

Like this? It’s on my 20w by 80 project. Not for sale but could do pictures and measure.

Steve,

Maybe make up a pattern and have Windy Hill Foundry cast a couple of them?
                        Mike
                        Central Ohio, USA

Comment

Personally, that handle looks extremely fragile to be made of cast, probably why they're all broken. However, I think that would be trivial for a skilled blacksmith with a power hammer and be much tougher.

I am surprised not only that someone here had an Axelson, but also the right handle.
                          Last edited by The Metal Butcher; 07-21-2020, 03:50 PM.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I don't belong here.
                            Maybe you don't either.

-D
                            Not everyone here has tiny machines. I've still moving from the old shop to the new building. I've moved over 30,000 lbs of iron and I'm not done. And I haven't moved a tool box or cabinet yet.
                            Mike
                            Central Ohio, USA

Comment

I don't belong here.
                              Maybe you don't either.

-D
                              Pee Mist has its own problems. I don't think anyone belongs there except Thermite and Gordon. And maybe the occasional lost Salesman.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X