No announcement yet.

A new super-material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having trouble visualizing a bunch of bike thieves sitting around all over town or campus, drumming their fingers as they wait for that lye to eat through those locks. They could walk to their destination quicker. ....But I guess they're a lazy bunch.
    Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

I saw this in a "New Atlas" email.

At some point, though, a frustrated would-be thief might just use his bolt cutters, grinders, and other weapons to destroy the bicycle.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post
        At least we will always have petroleum jelly.

-D
        A man has to have.... priorities.
        25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
          ...in an "aluminum foam"

So just what acid will dissolve aluminum?
          Actually the fact that they are currently using aluminum makes me wonder what it would be like with Ti6 Al4 v (titanium...)

Comment

Water jet? JR

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
              Water jet? JR
              article claims convex ceramic spheres causes jet to diverge two orders of magnitude if I recall correctly (not recalling over what depth)
              --
              Tom C
              ... nice weather eh?

Comment

So lye! A small bottle of lye and there goes your bike chain. ... and door. ... and whatever.

You just need the right thing to "cut" it.

Sounds like just another advertising balloon. A flag up the flagpole and nobody is saluting.
                Of course it works on aluminum that has chipped welded into your fancy Alu-Power endmills too. If you got the mill out of the cut before it broke you can 100% recover it.
                *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

So lye! A small bottle of lye and there goes your bike chain. ... and door. ... and whatever.

You just need the right thing to "cut" it.

Sounds like just another advertising balloon. A flag up the flagpole and nobody is saluting.
                  You might want to try it before you get excited about that "small bottle".

Just take a look at the reaction involved, and figure the number of mols of lye required for a given mass of aluminum........... It might surprise you.
                  CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                  Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                  Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                  I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                  Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Oh, just rub some gallium on the aluminum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRW2r-ao5vg

Comment

Originally posted by Astronowanabe View Post

article claims convex ceramic spheres causes jet to diverge two orders of magnitude if I recall correctly (not recalling over what depth)
                      Oh, well that wont work JR

Comment

Why don't they send all of us a free sample? We'll soon tell them how it can be cut!
                        'It may not always be the best policy to do what is best technically, but those responsible for policy can never form a right judgement without knowledge of what is right technically' - 'Dutch' Kindelberger

Comment

Loaded up alloy on end mills..., easy.., just a few drops of Tellus 32 on the cutter and work and off it comes .. i have it around, its my spindle and way lube..

Comment

My point was that if hack saws and abrasive wheels do not cut it, there probably is something that will.

And they will put an easily pick-able lock on the ends of that chain. Have you ever looked at any of the vast number of internet videos that show just how easy most locks are to pick open.

For whatever reason, thieves seem to be clever. Some do it just for the joy of proving that they can. You can make it a bit difficult to steal a bike or a car or whatever, but if someone is determined, they will. If lye is too slow, they will come up with something that is faster. That you can believe.
                            Paul A.
                            SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                            You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I read the title and seeing bicycle I knew it was a college project and someone wants to be published to get his masters. Yup I'm right on that point.
                              Ceramic blah blah can't cut it yada yada. One whack with a hammer and it'll shatter.

Comment

Originally posted by I make chips View Post
                                I read the title and seeing bicycle I knew it was a college project and someone wants to be published to get his masters. Yup I'm right on that point.
                                Ceramic blah blah can't cut it yada yada. One whack with a hammer and it'll shatter.
                                Yeah if it was big enough. But its ceramic micro spheres bedded in an aluminum sponge.

My bet is on the electricians conduit saw at work. Turns out he has a special circular saw blade, with carbide tips that is made just for cutting conduit. Bet that would cut it.

Comment

Working...
                                X