Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Article: What is Plasticine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tlfamm View Post
    Wikipedia has a nice writeup:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plasticine

from which:

"During World War II, Plasticine was used by bomb disposal officer Major John P. Hudson R.E. as part of the defuzing process for the new German "Type Y" battery-powered bomb fuze. The "Type Y" fuze has an anti-disturbance device that had to be disabled before the fuze could be removed. Plasticine was used to build a dam around the head of the fuze to hold some liquid oxygen. The liquid oxygen cooled the battery down to a temperature at which it would no longer function; with the battery out of commission, the fuze could be removed safely."
    OMG those must have been desperate times indeed to have to trust to a procedure like that! I can't even imagine working on a bomb like that, knowing that one mistake and I'm dead.

metalmagpie

Comment

Probably not so much after he did it a few times, but yeah, I can imagine those were some tense moments when he was trying his procedure for the first time. The EOD career field is not for the faint of heart.

Would be interesting to know just how he initially formed his plan for disarming the things.
      Last edited by lynnl; 07-25-2020, 02:17 PM.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

This is the correct package to me and on my computer the correct colours while this is another version and more garish colours but I don't know which is the newer version. Note the second link explains some history.

Now, what's this 'root beer' stuff? Is it alcoholic or is it a kids drink like 'ginger beer'?

Comment

I've always liked root beer, but my favorite was Sarsaparilla. I haven't seen it for quite some time. Good root beers include Barqs, Mug, Hires, and Frosty. The Pennsylvania Dutch make some good root beer, although I'm not sure it's worth the extra cost.

https://www.amazon.com/Pennsylvania-Dutch-Birch-Beer-Ounce/dp/B00NVVCQ20 (actually Birch Beer)

https://reallancastercounty.com/loca...ish-gift-shop/

https://www.amish365.com/homemade-root-beer/
          Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-25-2020, 03:59 PM.
          http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
          Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Now there is Fimo clay. It's soft and pliable and comes in various colors and will harden in the oven. When my daughters were young they use to make all sorts of stuff and I got them one of those pasta rollers and a small dedicated oven to save the kitchen one.
            Helder Ferreira
            Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post

OMG those must have been desperate times indeed to have to trust to a procedure like that! I can't even imagine working on a bomb like that, knowing that one mistake and I'm dead.

metalmagpie
              Assuming no advance intelligence on the new German weapon, how many EOD personnel lost their lives attempting to disarm a specimen?

Comment

Originally posted by Baz View Post
                T...
                Now, what's this 'root beer' stuff? Is it alcoholic or is it a kids drink like 'ginger beer'?
                Root beer is a non-alcoholic, carbonated drink, for young or old. An alternative to Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, etc. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the offerings on your side of the pond. I think root beer flavoring was originally derived from the roots of the sassafras tree. At least that's what it resembles. Probably artificial flavor now.

Paul, I'd forgotten about the Hires brand. That was a good one too. I haven't seen it around here in ages. Maybe just haven't noticed it.

Where root beer really shines, is in use making a root beer float. A few generous scoops of vanilla ice cream in a frosty mug or glass, which is then filled with root beer. That's too good to give to the kids ...wait til they've gone to bed!

Hmm, I think there are some Barq root beers in the refrigerator. (...excuse me, I've gotten thirsty)
                Last edited by lynnl; 07-25-2020, 05:14 PM.
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Hmmmm....

I wonder what a ginger beer float would be like.

-js
                  There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

A root beer float with vanilla ice cream is good. But my favorite is root beer with chocolate ice cream. Coke floats are best with vanilla.

As for Barks being available, I did a quick internet search and indeed it is. I have not purchased any carbonated beverages in quite some time due to doctor's dietary orders/suggestions. In the past I made my own root beer from the Zataran's concentrate. That was the best ever. IMHO, anyway.

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=zataran...nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

I think I still have a partial bottle of the concentrate in the back of one of my kitchen cabinets.

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

Root beer is a non-alcoholic, carbonated drink, for young or old. An alternative to Coca Cola, Pepsi Cola, etc. Sorry, I'm not familiar with the offerings on your side of the pond. I think root beer flavoring was originally derived from the roots of the sassafras tree. At least that's what it resembles. Probably artificial flavor now.

Paul, I'd forgotten about the Hires brand. That was a good one too. I haven't seen it around here in ages. Maybe just haven't noticed it.

Where root beer really shines, is in use making a root beer float. A few generous scoops of vanilla ice cream in a frosty mug or glass, which is then filled with root beer. That's too good to give to the kids ...wait til they've gone to bed!

Hmm, I think there are some Barq root beers in the refrigerator. (...excuse me, I've gotten thirsty)
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

Make it fit.
                    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Assuming no advance intelligence on the new German weapon, how many EOD personnel lost their lives attempting to disarm a specimen?
                      How it was done well.................................

OED1 : control there are red white and blue wires.

Control: cut the red wire.

Control: OK don't cut the red wire. EDO 2 cut the blue wire.

The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Southwestern Ontario. Canada

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut View Post

How it was done well.................................

OED1 : control there are red white and blue wires.

Control: cut the red wire.

Control: OK don't cut the red wire. EDO 2 cut the blue wire.

Dark humor can tickle the funny bone - ask Doozer ...

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                          As for Barks being available, I did a quick internet search and indeed it is. I have not purchased any carbonated beverages in quite some time due to doctor's dietary orders/suggestions.
                          That kinda sucks about the doctors orders. Barq's is a staple in the grocery stores up here, along with Loganberry (highly recommended -- imagine carbonated blackberry / raspberry juice...)

Comment

They probably had German prisoners who would be "volunteered" to defuse the devices.
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post

metalmagpie
                              What I was wondering is that did they really use liquid OXYGEN?
                              Liquid nitrogen would make lot more sense as it doesn't turn everything combustible to explosive.

Maybe liquid oxygen was available from some equipmment more readily or maybe just error on the story?

Comment

Working...
                              X