Notifications?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notifications?

Why am I all of a sudden getting notifications for everything? I don't even see how to turn it off? I log in and I have 45 notifications while I participate in maybe 4?

Dunno, maybe clear your cookies? I actually make use of the notifications to keep track of conversations and try to avoid mix-ups. That's why I usually quote in my replies -- quoting automatically sends a notification. No idea how to change it.
    25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
      ......(snip)......
      No idea how to change it.
      In upper RT corner, click drop down arrow (beside username) to expose four options, one of which is "User Settings". Go there. Near, but not at very top, of that page will be four options displayed horizontally, one of which is "Notifications." That will give you lots of choices.,
      Last edited by lynnl; 07-24-2020, 10:07 PM.
      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post

In upper RT corner, click drop down arrow (beside username) to expose four options, one of which is "User Settings". Go there. Near, but not at very top, of that page will be four options displayed horizontally, one of which is "Notifications." That will give you lots of choices.,
        I've done that and unchecked everything (and saved changes) and I still get them.

I also clear EVERYTHING when I exit my browser. Between using Sandboxie (got the site from Evan) and Enhanced CCleaner, there's nothing on my end left to carry over to the next session. Anything that carries over is on HSM site.

Comment

That's interesting, Arcane.
          Prior to my posting my comments above I had two notifications, both resulting from my posts being quoted by someone. However, your quote of my comment did NOT generate a notification. It seems that unless you're the one designing and writing the code, fully understanding all the inner software workings appears to be out of reach usually.

(later) I closed my HSM forum tab, and then started another, to see if that would trigger the notification. It did NOT.
          Last edited by lynnl; 07-24-2020, 11:03 PM.
          Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Just go to notifications and select "Dismiss All". Tada - all gone!
            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

And they start piling up again. I dismissed all yesterday and had 22 today. Dismissed all a half hour ago and I have 2 new ones. I'm getting notifications for threads I've never participated in. Something is not right. If it's on my end I sure can't find it.

Comment

I just came across a setting for "subscribed" and it says I'm subscribed to every topic. If I go to the individual topics it says I'm not subscribed. Something is wrong.

Comment

Still constantly happening. Any ideas?
                  Thanks

Comment

I don't have ANY notifications now. And even if I did, I rarely see them because they are all the way at the top of the page and I have to scroll up to see the count. It's just a number, so why worry about it? FWIW I am using Windows 10 and Firefox browser on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. The further you deviate from that "norm", the more likely it is to see unusual behavior. Developers target the most popular up-to-date configurations, and can't test or adjust for alternate situations.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Developers can test, but they don't for many reasons, some through ignorance of the outside world, and some due to the economics of their products, but often due to their calculations of the likely market for their product. Companies selling stuff that is likely to be bought by old fogey retirees like me, who in general have more ready cash that hard working young ones with families and mortgages, usually recognise that they'll be losing custom if the old folk with old computers are shut out from accessing their sales sites. The ones that don't recognise this don't deserve my money. Flashy new web sites built using the latest additions to HTML or XTML specs generally result in the kind of loud garish interfaces that turn oldies off anyway. The silliest sites from ny point of view are the ones that take over your audio and slam some noise at you as soon as the intro page loads. There's a site for a local motorcycle shop near me that hits you with a revving bike as soon as the page loads. If I can't close the page instantly for that kind of site, I'll close my browser. It's just plain intrusive, and very embarrassing if any of my family hear it. So that's one shop I've never visited and never will. But for them, maybe they know that my type are not in their target market anyway. As far as HSM goes, my main problem using Win7 and an old browser is that often button presses just do not work. For example, if I make a typo here, there's nothing I can do about it, as the Edit button does not respond. On some forums the buttons for page choice at the bottom of a page do not work, while the buttons at the top of the page do work. To the OP I'll say that clearing everything will dump all cookies. That forces the forum to set up defaults next time you log on. Try allowing cookies for at least this site, so your preferences can be picked up next time you visit the site. Here's hoping I haven't left too many typos in !
                      Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

And I see that my paragraph spaces get lost too ! Sorry about the lack of readability - I guess I'll have to keep my ramblings a bit shorter in future.
                        Richard - SW London, UK, EU.

Comment

Well I'm back to 22 notifications this am?
                          When notifications worked as it should it was a handy way for me to navigate to the threads I participated in. Now it's useless.
                          I'm using a phone fwiw.
                          Why no more Tapatalk?

Comment

More forum glitches. Everyone has something different happening.

Only time I get notifications are for PM, or if some one responds to a post I started or quotes me, I think??

But I do have some issues with posting pics, like duplicates sometimes and broken links. Not sure what any of that is about. Never had those issues with the old format.

JL...............

Comment

This is a server-side problem, so the fact that you are using a phone doesn't matter. Neither does closing tabs, logging off, etc. Maybe you are a moderator? Do you have an option to delete posts?

Are you getting an email notification as well? If yes, what does it say?

Comment

Working...
                              X