Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Indy race car VS Formula One around Nurburgring long track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O/T: Indy race car VS Formula One around Nurburgring long track?

I only bring this up here because you folks are smart.

In my humble opinion I think the F1 cars are superior to the Indy cars.

That being said I think an Indy car would do the lap faster than the F1 car. I think the Indy car might be able to take advantage of the massive speed, might be over 200mph in some areas.

The F1? They have so many track on the Ring. The F1 dominates most of them. IMO. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I'll throw in corners vs straights - there are lots of corners round the ring if there is more time negotiating them than flat out down straights then the F1 car has (I believe) the following advantages:
    1. better brakes - can brake later for the corners.
    2. better aerodynamics/down force - can corner faster.
    3. with the hybrid engines more torque - better acceleration from the corners.
    Don't know what difference there is between the tyres - the F1 ones seem very "fragile" and might not be able to sustain the full performance of the car for the full lap.

Andy

Comment

Although different circuit, direct comparison of lap times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circui...as#Lap_records

12.7s difference in race lap time between the F1 and the Indy is quite a gulf!

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
        I
        That being said I think an Indy car would do the lap faster than the F1 car. I think the Indy car might be able to take advantage of the massive speed, might be over 200mph in some areas.

JR
        Nurburgring is really ****ty track with lots of curves and uneven surface so cornering speed and suspension setup are really important.

And F1's are not slough on straights either, top 2017 speed for the Indianapolis 500 was 232.1 mph and Bottas did of 231.5 mph on 2016 Mexico F1.
        No reason why F1's wouldn't go even faster than that if there would be a suitable track.

Comment

Isn't the top speed of an F1 or Indycar all down to its gearing? There are several road legal cars that do over 250 MPH, the Bugatti Chiron does over 300, and you get A/C, leather interior. and room for a terrified passenger.

Ian
          All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
            Isn't the top speed of an F1 or Indycar all down to its gearing?
            Ian
            Gearing and aero/downforce setup.
            F1 car set up for slow track like Monaco or Hungaroring probably generates so much drag that it would struggle to reach 200 mph in that setup.

Comment

I still like the 1960 quote from Enzo Ferrari: "Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines"

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by ATW View Post
                Although different circuit, direct comparison of lap times: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circui...as#Lap_records

12.7s difference in race lap time between the F1 and the Indy is quite a gulf!
                yeah, something doesn't seem right there....and there's a endurance car with a faster lap than the best indy car.....I'd need that explained to me or numbers verified to buy into it

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

The LMP cars are aerodynamically much better than open wheel cars because they have closed wheels and huge undertrays. F1 is fairly limited by aero regulations to keep the speed down.

Comment

F1 cars are powered by European wine and cheese, Indy cars are powered by American wine and cheese.
                    These are very different things.

Comment

Seems a long time ago one of our early F1 cars won the Indy 500. Bit more to F1 besides long straights and left hand corners and the race goes on DESPITE rain. Despite some, the "Ring" was ruined when the forest section was cut out. F1 is slowly degenerating into a three ring circus.

Regards Ian.
                      You might not like what I say,but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

Comment

That is two different sets of rules and as result, two different types of cars.
                        No, you cannot judge which one will do better
                        like comparing apples to oranges
                        F1 racing is road courses, Indy cars are running oval track.
                        different rules and different applications

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                          That is two different sets of rules and as result, two different types of cars.
                          No, you cannot judge which one will do better
                          like comparing apples to oranges
                          F1 racing is road courses, Indy cars are running oval track.
                          different rules and different applications
                          Are you mixing up Indy and Nascar?

Aren't Indy cars running even on Florida road track and so on. Current season was supposed to have 12 tracks with turns to both directions and 4 ovals or oval-ish tracks?

Comment

A few years ago I was at the Monterey Historic races.All sorts of fast, old cars. Brutally fast 7 liter CanAm cars among them. Amazing how quick some of them were around the track. Then came a year old F1 Ferrari with the factory test driver. Astonishing how much faster it was everywhere,but especially in the corners.

I've gotta believe the F1 cars are faster than Indy cars on a road course like Nurburgring. I don't know who would be faster on an oval like Indy.

Mike

Comment

No, I'm not confusing nascar.
                              But I didnt know indy car series was up to 12 road tracks currently.
                              Indy speed record is 237 back in the mid-1990's.
                              Races are governed by rules committees. For safety, mostly safety of the fans.
                              In the 1950's a Mercedes got loose and went up into the stands and killed a massacre of fans. Mercedes quit racing on the spot, and didnt come back for decades.
                              Not any different in Indy or Nascar or F1. Rules get setup to keep speeds down to a point where a car getting loose will stay on the track rather than fly the wall into the stands.
                              Sneva, Foyt broke 200mph back in the '70s.
                              Do you remember Nascar running the big blocks? The 426 hemi? The Ford big block? one of those cars got loose and jumped the fence.
                              That was the end of the big blocks.
                              As the rules try to keep speeds down, the car builders do engineering to get speed back up.
                              And that is a continuing battle, rules to keep speed down, and engineering to keep speeds up.
                              Nascar is speed limited by rules to a bit under 200
                              Indy to about 220 or so.

Remember Penske and that Mercedes at Indy? Penske took advantage of displacement rules and built a custom engine to run Indy. His cars routinely ran 230 average. Rumor has it he clocked some straightaway speeds at 250. Well, that was the end of that, after just one race. Rules fast went to a class racing format where you had a couple engines to choose from particular makers.
                              No more 'race what you bring'.
                              All the racing is speed limited by rules.
                              So, no, you cannot compare Indy to F1, the cars are different because the rules are different.

Comment

Working...
                              X