Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

O/T: Indy race car VS Formula One around Nurburgring long track?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been to F1's and I've been to Indy's, both road courses and both fast and loud, also lots of transams, canams and endurance racing. Then you grow up a bit and realize you can really see the race better on TV. Then after a few more years, you realize the shop is actually more interesting
    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
      I've been to F1's and I've been to Indy's, both road courses and both fast and loud, also lots of transams, canams and endurance racing. Then you grow up a bit and realize you can really see the race better on TV. Then after a few more years, you realize the shop is actually more interesting
      Amen, and I say that as somebody who was into big block chevys and NHRA. (old school, gassers on the street...)The most interesting part about Indy vs F1 is gonna be the beer and razor blade commercials.

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post
        I went to Indy in 1985 hoping to see Mario win. He got beat at the end. Took a bunch of pictures, most were a blur of cars passing by, Got bored about half way through and went and toured the museum, That was the best part of the whole affair. Still poed that Mario lost.
        “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Comment

Check out the Youtube videos of various cars going round. I thought it was rather funny to see a couple of guys in a tiny Volkswagen showing Porsche drivers how to do it.

Comment

my favourite Nurburgring thing of all time has to be the Sabine Schmitz Ford Transit lap on Top Gear. Has special significance to Brits due to the White Van Man
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KiC03_wVjc

As for F1 vs. Indycar, no idea but I'd go with F1. Pretty biased as my brother works for Mercedes AMG F1 team (was one of the lead aerodynamicists, now Chief Data Officer, whatever that means) but also because F1 can generate absurd amounts of downforce and lateral G. There's a reason why F1 drivers train my lifting weights with their heads..

Comment

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post

Gearing and aero/downforce setup.
              F1 car set up for slow track like Monaco or Hungaroring probably generates so much drag that it would struggle to reach 200 mph in that setup.
              That would not be good, no one wants to see an F1 doing 200 through town

Just like Indy doesn't do 200 through Long Beach Calif.

Gotta have limits. The reason I brought up the Ring was it seems to be able to handle those speeds. JR
              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Few years back, had a pro racing team for client. Started out as Champ, then Cart (or visa versa), then indy cars. Strangest thing was they tore down and rebuilt everything except the engines. Those were Ford Cosworth engines and league rules required motors to be sealed, and any and all work required to be done by factory. Kept every body on the same level.. Aerodynamics, suspension, trannies, tires were all open game. But everyone ran the same motors.

Comment

[QUOTE=JRouche;n1889636]

/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself:
                  https://youtu.be/ld7c6ZO4n2A

If they can do it safely, hell yeah

Comment

[QUOTE=epicfail48;n1890002]
                    Originally posted by JRouche View Post

/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself:
                    https://youtu.be/ld7c6ZO4n2A

If they can do it safely, hell yeah
                    That was very interesting and hilarious . I'm a F1 fan . Been one since 1958 . I was at the US GP in Sebring, Florida and have the pictures to prove it. Even had a Press Pass. :-)
                    ...Lew...

Comment

The F1 cars will be faster nearly anywhere than the current IRL cars due to the rules the cars are built to. The Indy car chassis are built to a spec, and everyone uses the same car chassis to minimize cost to buy, maintain and run, and the design is meant to be safe and economical, not the fastest. Each team in F1 designs and builds their own chassis. F1 engines are much more powerful, running almost twice the power of IRL engines, which are tightly regulated like the chassis.

Back in the very early 70s tho things were much different and I recall that Dan Gurney once challenged F1 (maybe Ferrari/Ickx specifically) to either a race or just fastest lap around the Nurburgring and offered up a $100,000 prize. Dan was to run Bobby Unser in the latest Eagle-Offy-that vintage of car had massive boost and huge wings, an amazing car. Dan was only a few years out of driving F1 himself at that point so knew pretty well what the conditions were. No one accepted the challenge unfortunately. Since then rules have become much more restricted in both series. It also would have been interesting to have had Mark Donohue in his 917 Can Am Porsche 917 participate.

Comment

Engineering technology wise they are not even in the same ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                          F1 cars are powered by European wine and cheese, Indy cars are powered by American wine and cheese.
                          These are very different things.
                          I know California makes good wine, but cheese?
                          You mean to tell me that American cheese is actually exported and eaten in other parts of the world?
                          News to me.
                          We all know the best cheeses in the world are made in Wales, Ireland, England, Holland, Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Norway, Greece, et al and exported and eaten throughout the world.
                          Wine is half decent too, especially French and Italian.

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post

I know California makes good wine, but cheese?
                            You mean to tell me that American cheese is actually exported and eaten in other parts of the world?
                            News to me.
                            We all know the best cheeses in the world are made in Wales, Ireland, England, Holland, Switzerland, France, Germany, Austria, Italy, Spain, Norway, Greece, et al and exported and eaten throughout the world.
                            Wine is half decent too, especially French and Italian.
                            Well, you are just out of the loop thats all, no big deal. They used to say Calif. didnt make good wine either.

Wisconsin is producing some very great cheeses from old school methods.

Dont be short minded.

Europeans! Err. LOl Kidding. JR
                            My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Well, you are just out of the loop thats all, no big deal. They used to say Calif. didnt make good wine either.

Wisconsin is producing some very great cheeses from old school methods.

Dont be short minded.

Europeans! Err. LOl Kidding. JR
                              Is it exported? Or sold outside Wisconsin?
                              The only US cheese i ever see sold in cheese sections in supermarkets worldwide is Philadelphia soft cheese and that's not really, er, cheese....

Comment

Originally posted by thaiguzzi View Post

Is it exported? Or sold outside Wisconsin?
                                The only US cheese i ever see sold in cheese sections in supermarkets worldwide is Philadelphia soft cheese and that's not really, er, cheese....
                                Next they are going to claim that they have eatable bread commonly available

Comment

Working...
                                X