Eulogy for a Black & Decker cordless mower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    $250 for batteries? Where, at a Batteries Plus Bulbs place? They have the absolute highest prices for everything.

When I replaced the cells in my B&D batteries, I was able to get full sized D NiCads for about $0.99 each. The OEM batteries had sub-sized D cells with spacers to take up the extra space that full sized Ds would occupy. And they have already lasted longer than the OEM ones. So they were not just cheap junk. If anything, the OEM cells are cheap junk that was designed to fail so the user would have to buy replacement batteries; OEM replacement batteries which would also have smaller cells that fail faster. Great way to boost your stock but an awful way to treat your customers.

I do not know what size cells these lawn mowers use, but I do know that they CAN be purchased for a lot less.

I don't know who the mower is made by. It's green in color if that tells you anything??
    He bought the complete OEM battery packs, I think 3 of them, probably from the mfg.

JL...............

Comment

My B&D lawn mower has three 12V 12A-h SLA batteries. I bought four of the same size about 8-10 years ago from eComElectronics for about $20 each including shipping. I haven't used them much, and they still work fine. I also have a 17 A-h SLA I bought used about 15 years ago, and it still holds a charge, although it was date coded 1999 and it's getting a bit weak. I have seen some green cordless electric mowers for sale, and some of them are made by "Greenworks" or "E-Go" or "Sun Joe". Here's a review of some 2020 models, ranging in cost from $220 to almost $900:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...ed-lawnmowers/
      Last edited by PStechPaul; 07-26-2020, 09:26 PM.
      http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
      Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
      USA Maryland 21030

Comment

PStechPaul

We've had the Kobalt model in PopMech for two years and are pleased with it. We have a tiny yard which will only consume 15-20% of charge:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1586804435-screen-shot-2020-04-13-at-2-43-44-pm-1586803710.png?crop=1xw:1xh;center,top&resize=768:*.png
Views:	174
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1889122

Comment

Oh my! I read cordless mower and really didnt get the Headline.

I have mowed grass for 50 years. The ol push real type was my first. Yup around 6 or 7 years old. Worked great, specially when I put a file to the blades and some grease where it needed to be. My Dad worked at Rockwell, not a real grass mower.

So my Point was every lawn mower is cordless!? No?

Errr.. Solly. Lynne is gonna come over here and bust my nugs..
          \
          Kidding... Stay safe people... Please.. JR
          My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post
            Oh my! I read cordless mower and really didnt get the Headline.

I have mowed grass for 50 years. The ol push real type was my first. Yup around 6 or 7 years old. Worked great, specially when I put a file to the blades and some grease where it needed to be. My Dad worked at Rockwell, not a real grass mower.

So my Point was every lawn mower is cordless!? No?

Errr.. Solly. Lynne is gonna come over here and bust my nugs..
            \
            Kidding... Stay safe people... Please.. JR
            No, if it's an old 120v electric mower where you had to drag the extension cord behind it's not cordless.
            I remember them too, back in the mid to late 60's maybe?? A neighbor had one, everybody thought it was great because it was so quite...... until the guy wrapped the extension cord up in the blade. Then the mower was real quiet. The only noise was the guy screaming and cursing about it.

I remember asking..... Dad, how come we don't get one of those. He said because they it's a PIA to drag an extension cord around with you.

JL...............

Comment

Same thing happened to the starter on my BMW motorcycle when I was in town a couple years ago. Got stuck in traffic and the starter got real hot (air cooled) and the glue on the magnets let go. Luckily a couple guys gave me a push and I was able to get it started from a roll. I tool the starter apart and used some Hysol 1C to glue the magnets back in place and it has been fine ever since.

Comment

Neighbor had on of the plug in ones. I've seen him use it. Now, I saw right away how to make it less of a total PIA to use, but he always went to the farthest place and worked BACK, which I thought and still think was crazy.

The thing was probably 50 years old. It quit once and I think I fixed it that time, but it finally quit when an essential thermoplastic part broke into many pieces, as thermoplastic always DOES do.

I do not have a 3D printer, the pieces did not tell me what shape it was (some were missing), and the mower was a POS 50 years ago.

They have a battery mower now. It no longer gets through the entire yard on a charge, but I think they can still get batteries, the thing is only 3 years old. (It's a better question that you think, I could not get batteries for a virtually new drill-driver a few months after buying it new, when I discovered that it would be much nicer if I had more batteries and could swap them).

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I also have a 120V corded B&D mower, which still works well (I think), but it is a bit of a hassle. I had to replace the drive belts and clean and lube the blade bearings, but other bthan that, it's been good. I think I paid about $25 for it, and it included about 150 ft of extension cords.

Name:	B&D_Mower_800x600_0488.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	1889169

Name:	B&D_Mower_800x600_0489.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	1889170

Name:	B&D_Mower_Muttley_800x600_0492.jpg
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	1889168
                  John found this old "cordless" mower hidden in the weeds of the meadow while using the string brush trimmer. It ate the nylon string. Maybe I can salvage this thing?

Name:	Old_Mower_6493.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1889167
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                    I also have a 120V corded B&D mower, which still works well (I think), but it is a bit of a hassle. I had to replace the drive belts and clean and lube the blade bearings, but other bthan that, it's been good. I think I paid about $25 for it, and it included about 150 ft of extension cords.

Name:	B&D_Mower_800x600_0488.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	284.2 KB
ID:	1889169

Name:	B&D_Mower_800x600_0489.jpg
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	1889170

Name:	B&D_Mower_Muttley_800x600_0492.jpg
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	1889168
                    John found this old "cordless" mower hidden in the weeds of the meadow while using the string brush trimmer. It ate the nylon string. Maybe I can salvage this thing?

Name:	Old_Mower_6493.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	303.7 KB
ID:	1889167
                    What are you waiting for? DC/DC converter and the other mower's battery and you have a new cordless mower
                    Helder Ferreira
                    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Its so badly rusted from sitting outside, even with a cover. If it sits on grass or dirt and covered its still going to rust. If it was mine it would be in the scrap heap. Battery replacement, no way.
                      Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician - Fine Line Automation CNC 4x4 Router

Comment

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
                        I wonder what actually caused the failure. These are probably ceramic magnets, and they have obviously cracked. But I would assume they had been cemented to the steel housing, and there is no obvious evidence of any adhesive. Perhaps the motor overheated and loosened the adhesive so the magnets shifted and impinged on the armature. Or perhaps something got into the motor and caused a magnet to crack. The armature might be salvageable, but I don't see how the magnets could be replaced, unless they were the exact size and shape to fit.

I think something like a shop vac motor might be about the right size and power to work, and it would not be too hard to generate 120 VAC (or even DC) to power a universal motor.
                        One has to also consider if he hit something with the blade that jarred the motor and maybe forced the rotor into the magnetic casings --- if hitting something in the gas models has the ability to bend crankshafts then you would think the electrics might have their very own set of problemo's

Comment

I'm still hoping to find a suitable replacement motor for this, without spending more than it's worth. I've searched on Craig's List, FB Marketplace, and eBay, with no joy. AliExpress and Banggood have some that might work, but the largest brushed DC motors appear to be only up to about 200 watt (1/4 HP) and I think I need at least 500-800 watt. There are BLDC motors in that range but probably over $100 with shipping.

So, I checked Surplus Sales of Nebraska, and found a few that might work, but it seems they only offer pickup at store. Then I found this:

https://hgrinc.com/surplus/motors/

Their search facility doesn't work very well, so it was hard to find suitable motors, but I was amazed at some of the prices.

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_3HP.png
Views:	108
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	1890933

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_5HP.png
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	1890934

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_7.5HP.png
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	1890932
                          Here is one I might be able to use - 24 VDC 1/2 HP

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_0.5HP_24VDC.png
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	1890935
                          USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Paul, I've got a very beefy 12V PMDC motor that came out of a stepper or similar exercise machine. You can have it for postage (prob medium flat rate box). let me know if you're interested and I can get some specs/ dimensions. It's a really nice motor, just no idea what I would use it for.

Comment

Thanks! Can you post a picture or provide some measurements or specs? I have some pretty beefy 12 VDC motors but I don't think they will be adequate for a mower. Here is a spec sheet for some I bought some time ago. They are rated 1/4 HP (but 1/8 HP continuous), and the size is shown here:

Name:	12VDC_Motor_eBay.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	1890949

I think I need a motor conservatively rated 1/2 HP or greater. I'm not sure of the power rating of the B&D mower, but the battery pack appears to be 36V and 12 A-h, so at 1C (12A) that would be 432 watts, or about 1/2 HP. That would give about 1/2 hour running time at full load, which seems about right, from experience. So a 12VDC motor would need to draw about 31-36 amps to provide equivalent power.

I found a 24V 1/2 HP "Heater motor" for $52 that might do the job:

USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Another solution for you

https://youtu.be/FK2qK-NCQH8
                                Helder Ferreira
                                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Working...
                                X