Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Doall guys had their Ducks lined up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Those Doall guys had their Ducks lined up!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	1889050 Have posted about this Vertical Doall before but had to mention it again,needed to split some 1/2" flat bar with as little distortion as possible.This counterweight gravity Feed system works AWESOME,it's so simple but works so well and is as old is dirt I believe it came out in the 30's.I was fortunate when I got this at Auction that all peices were there,most times it has been removed from Saw and never seen again. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3098.JPG
Views:	380
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	1889049

I'd say from perfect alignment and adjustment of the blade guide, perfect set of each blade tooth, and smack on set distance of each yellow hand wheel from center of cut, yeah, those DoAll people have their ducks lined up.

Comment

Looks like a slick system. But I have to wonder just how fussy do those pulleys need to be set to get a straight cut. Or is there some additional guidance?
      Paul A.
      SE Texas

Make it fit.
      You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

What prevents it from cutting the roller chain (or whatever is pushing the stock) when the cut finishes? Is there an automatic cut-off I'm not seeing? Or is it depending on user action?
        Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
          What prevents it from cutting the roller chain (or whatever is pushing the stock) when the cut finishes? Is there an automatic cut-off I'm not seeing? Or is it depending on user action?
          When the part is done and the blade starts hitting the chain, you will hear the teeth shearing off of your blade 😆

Not really, i'm curious about that as well. I have seen the counterweight system in various states of disassembly but never have I seen someone actually using it and am very interested to understand how it's actually supposed to work.
          -paul

Comment

I designed something very similar for my own vertical bandsaw a few years ago. I never built it, but my design used the guide slot in the table top for alignment. I'm sure this one must also use the guide slot.---Brian
            Brian Rupnow

Comment

I’m quite pleased to say that I’ve used the meteorite setting on a number of meteorites on the lab do all saw ( widmansttaten structures) in had the feed but I never used it, good saw, there was a band file there too, fierce looking cutting band
              mark

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3107.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.57 MB ID:	1889099Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3106.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.77 MB ID:	1889100 The position of the cable pulleys doesn't really matter and it's up to the operator to stop before hitting the roller chain,if workjaw is used it can the sacrificial peice which mine now has a couple little nicks.No guide on table and the way pulleys are arranged it works great for contour Cutting as well especially using workjaw,the operator is always steering but Feed fate is determined by turning Handwheel to move counter weight on track for slower or faster rates. The foot pedal in Gage's the cable.Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3108.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	1889101
                Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 07-26-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

I've seen a lot of bandsaws that came or could have come with one of those, but like you say they're always missing. I've stood infront of dad's grob for close to 3 hours on one project alone, I would have loved to have a feed mechanism. Although a roll-in saw would have been better for my purposes.

I'm a bit jealous. A fully equipped Do-all is definitely a thing of envy.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3109.PNG
Views:	267
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1889125Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3111.PNG
Views:	267
Size:	3.41 MB
ID:	1889126
                    Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                    I've seen a lot of bandsaws that came or could have come with one of those, but like you say they're always missing. I've stood infront of dad's grob for close to 3 hours on one project alone, I would have loved to have a feed mechanism. Although a roll-in saw would have been better for my purposes.

I'm a bit jealous. A fully equipped Do-all is definitely a thing of envy.
                    It's one of my favourite machines I have,prior to getting this 1950 ML,I had a Doall 1957 LSV 16" but when I spotted this at a RB Auction had to have it.As pic shows it wasn't very pretty so was happy how refurbish turned out.

Comment

Wow that looks great. I've always been afraid of white paint cuz you've gotta keep it clean, but your machines truly look great in that color. Hmm. Very nice job on the restoration and collecting the missing bits.

Btw, is this the mechanism used on your gang drill? I've been researching Colburn drill presses, some came with this style of table and it looks fantastic for rapid positioning.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNu...&docid=1068324
                      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                        I’m quite pleased to say that I’ve used the meteorite setting on a number of meteorites on the lab do all saw ( widmansttaten structures) in had the feed but I never used it, good saw, there was a band file there too, fierce looking cutting band
                        mark
                        Man I would love to cut a meteorite on my saw ! I notice that material on the saw guide every now and then and smile

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3109.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.13 MB ID:	1889125Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3111.PNG Views:	0 Size:	3.41 MB ID:	1889126

It's one of my favourite machines I have,prior to getting this 1950 ML,I had a Doall 1957 LSV 16" but when I spotted this at a RB Auction had to have it.As pic shows it wasn't very pretty so was happy how refurbish turned out.
                          Very nice job! DId the saw originally have the blade welder?

I keep thinking I need one that size for a wood saw... Maybe someday.....
                          Last edited by swatkins; 07-27-2020, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                            Wow that looks great. I've always been afraid of white paint cuz you've gotta keep it clean, but your machines truly look great in that color. Hmm. Very nice job on the restoration and collecting the missing bits.

Btw, is this the mechanism used on your gang drill? I've been researching Colburn drill presses, some came with this style of table and it looks fantastic for rapid positioning.

https://pdfpiw.uspto.gov/.piw?PageNu...&docid=1068324
                            The Doall was Powder Coated and is real easy to clean,the Wadkin gang Drill not so much found out later there was not enough hardener in the paint that was used

It looks like the Colburn used rack&pinion which is the best setup imo.The Wadkin was a Industrial Wood Router that came with optional compound table measuring 27"x33" riddled with 1/2" NC threaded holes,works great with clamping kit from Mill for oddball jobs.The angled Handle on right side is for X travel and is rack&pinion with 30" of travel,left handle is for Y travel and has 15" of travel with acme threads.Lower handle is for vertical on table but is powered as is upper Drill Press Heads. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3112.PNG
Views:	243
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1889164

Comment

Originally posted by swatkins View Post

Very nice job! DId the saw originally have the blade welder?

I keep thinking I need one that size for a wood saw... Maybe someday.....
                              Thanks,the Blade Welder was in it but opted not to reinstall as my patience & time was running out towards the end of refurbish.

Comment

Working...
                              X