Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Those Doall guys had their Ducks lined up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post

The Doall was Powder Coated and is real easy to clean,the Wadkin gang Drill not so much found out later there was not enough hardener in the paint that was used

It looks like the Colburn used rack&pinion which is the best setup imo.The Wadkin was a Industrial Wood Router that came with optional compound table measuring 27"x33" riddled with 1/2" NC threaded holes,works great with clamping kit from Mill for oddball jobs.The angled Handle on right side is for X travel and is rack&pinion with 30" of travel,left handle is for Y travel and has 15" of travel with acme threads.Lower handle is for vertical on table but is powered as is upper Drill Press Heads.
    I gotcha. I'll keep an eye out for a "smaller" Colburn when I have the ceiling height someday, hopefully with one of the rack and pinion tables. There a D4 for sale to me locally, but it's been outside for probably 20-40 years and I don't have time or room or need for a project like that, as much as I do want it. I've been looking around for someone who can save it, but even the antique machinery section on PM doesn't want that junky of junk.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

I have the twin to the saw Tundra shows. Got mine at auction for $180, cleaned it up, put a newer motor on it with a VFD eliminating the original variable speed pulley/belt setup. Its a sweet saw ! I got the boomerang guide for the feed but the cable/chain and guide pulleys were missing, someday I will fabricated them, its not too hard. The adjustable weight mechanism is intact. I also skipped refurb'ing the blade welder, it appears all intack and should work, someday I will do it. The pics Tundra posted will make duplicating the feed cable/chain/pulleys much easier, THANKS !

Comment

I've used one of those gravity feed systems before. They are great for long cuts, but require constant attention to keep the cut tracking straight. Definitely not set and forget.
        It's all mind over matter.
        If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhoopee View Post
          I've used one of those gravity feed systems before. They are great for long cuts, but require constant attention to keep the cut tracking straight. Definitely not set and forget.
          Cruise control does not steer the car, in case you did not know.

-Doozer
          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Cruise control does not steer the car, in case you did not know.

-Doozer
            Fully aware. The first couple of replies suggested that some might be under the impression that it could be left unattended. I'm reminded of the new owner of a motor-home who set the cruise control then went to aft to make a sandwich.
            It's all mind over matter.
            If you don't mind, it don't matter.

Comment

This setup works great contour Cutting as well about 20 min to cut this 1-1/4" plate with 6 tooth blade,all with power feed Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3114.PNG
Views:	137
Size:	2.33 MB
ID:	1889312

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
                This setup works great contour Cutting as well about 20 min to cut this 1-1/4" plate with 6 tooth blade,all with power feed
                That's one heck of a blast door on the dog house. I don't think I've ever used a 6 TPI blade. Not sure I would know how,,, that's just huge.

Comment

I need a 4-6 tooth blade. I spent about 45 minutes per cut on a 3.5x2.125 block the other day. Just making dust.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
                    I need a 4-6 tooth blade. I spent about 45 minutes per cut on a 3.5x2.125 block the other day. Just making dust.
                    That's odd -- why does it take so long? We had a 14 tpi blade on the horizontal saw at work, and it would go thru 2x4 inch mild steel in about 10 - 15 minutes. https://www.hydmech.com/products/ban...al-pivot-s-20/

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3118.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1889478
                      Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

That's one heck of a blast door on the dog house. I don't think I've ever used a 6 TPI blade. Not sure I would know how,,, that's just huge.

The plate was for the Big Dake #6 Arbor Press,was building some conveyor rollers that needed pulleys pressed in,at 46" long just made by a whisker with 51" of daylight between Arbor&Plate.I use 3/8" blades most of time with 10-14 for most jobs but for thick stuff 6 tpi work great. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3118.PNG
Views:	103
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	1889477

Comment

I have been rounding up parts to do my ML made in 1940 one of the welders at Doall welded the word SH-- in column I was given my saw it was missing the table I am in sw washington state I found a table in the bay area and friend that use to go down all time picked it up for me Ken
                        Last edited by ken; 08-01-2020, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                          I have been rounding up parts to do my ML made in 1940 one of the welders at Doall welded the word SH-- in column I was given my saw it was missing the table I am in sw washington state I found a table in the bay area and friend that use to go down all time picked it up for me Ken
                          Was the original table damaged by some one using it as lifting point with forklift,you should post pics of your Saw does it look the same as my 1950 model.

Comment

Most likely the table was broken off that way I never saw it the friend that gave it to me insured me he had the table but in 2 years of looking we never found it he had a massive collection of old tractors and old iron the scrap thieves hit him more than once one time they got 30 or so radiators off old tractors. looks just like yours.Ken

Comment

Working...
                            X