DIY bearings in 5hp motor idler RPC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
    Yes, I miscalculated, multiplied by sqrt(3) when I should have divided. So theoretical current is 3750W / ( 240V * sqrt(3) ) = 9.02A. At 80% PF, 90% efficiency, and 1.25 SF that is 12.5 rated load amps (RLA) and 15.6 full load amps (FLA).

https://www.electricalcalculators.or...nt-calculator/
    sqrt(3), W, A, V, PF, SF, (FLA), RLA,
    thanks but that does not address my basic question, and that is:

Can I or can I not run 12ga wire to the input side of the peckerhead?
    Right now there is about an inch of 8ga wire to trouble with.
    I want to input about 3ft of 12/3 SO cable so as to build up this RPC to its control box

Comment

60 posts about replacing two bearings. This forum never fails to deliver.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
        yup......how many posters does it take to change a bearing....

1 to change the bearings and to post that the bearings has been changed.
        14 to share similar experiences of changing bearings and how the bearings could have been changed differently.
        7 to caution about the dangers of changing bearings.
        1 to move it to the Lighting section.
        2 to argue then move it to the Electrical section.
        7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing bearings.
        5 to flame the spell checkers.
        3 to correct spelling/grammar flames.
        6 to argue over whether it’s “bearing” or “bearings” ..
        another 6 to condemn those 6 as stupid.
        2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is “lamp”.
        15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that “bearings” is perfectly correct.
        19 to post that this forum is not about bearings and to please take this discussion to a motor forum.
        11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use bearings and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.
        36 to debate which method of changing bearings is superior, where to buy the best bearings, what brand of bearings work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.
        7 to post URLs where one can see examples of different bearings.
        4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URLs.
        3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes bearings relevant to this group.
        13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”.
        5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the bearings controversy.
        4 to say “didn’t we go through this already a short time ago?”.
        13 to say “do a Google search on bearings before posting questions about bearings”.

(no, I didn't waste the time to write it, find and replace on the old light bulb shtick)
        in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

14 to share similar experiences of changing bearings and how the bearings could have been changed differently.
          15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that “bearings” is perfectly correct.
          19 to post that this forum is not about bearings and to please take this discussion to a motor forum.
          11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use bearings and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum.
          36 to debate which method of changing bearings is superior, where to buy the best bearings, what brand of bearings work best for this technique and what brands are faulty.
          4 to post that the URLs were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URLs.
          3 to post about links they found from the URLs that are relevant to this group which makes bearings relevant to this group.
          13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all headers and signatures, and add “Me too”.
          5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot handle the bearings controversy.
          13 to say “do a Google search on bearings before posting questions about bearings”.

(no, I didn't waste the time to write it, find and replace on the old light bulb shtick)
          I guess fish gotta swim.

Meanwhile life goes on as it did before........

Keep eye on ball.
          Hashim Khan

Comment

Well, I got the end bells off and replaced the bearings, for it all back together.
            Touched up some paint and it looks ready to go.
            Thanks for the help guys,

Comment

Originally posted by The Metal Butcher View Post
              Beats heck out of PM (I call them Pee Mist). It would have been 120 posts over there because of all the butthurt and swearing and general angst.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                Well, I got the end bells off and replaced the bearings, for it all back together.
                Touched up some paint and it looks ready to go.
                Thanks for the help guys,
                Does it seem any quieter now?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Me too!
                  (right click, save as....)

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Does it seem any quieter now?
                    yes, quieter turning by hand, not yet got power on, but, yes, much quiet

Comment

Working...
                    X