Practical uses of arc torch...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practical uses of arc torch...???

I found a Craftsman arc torch in my shop cleanup. It's not the type with air blowing the molten metal away.

Do these have any uses these days?

Is it one of these? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnsCXVsJsw

Carbon arc torch, 2 carbon electrodes.

Never used one, maybe others have?

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Used to repair battery terminals with one. A little mold and use the battery own power to melt some lead onto the terminal.
      Helder Ferreira
      Setubal, Portugal

Comment

i have one and its nice if you dont have oxy/acetylene. i used it to bend sway bars for example.

Comment

I have an old one, probably from the mid 1950's. I find it a bit touchy to get the right arc going but it works good for heating things for bending. Hotter than an oxyacetylene and you don't need to refill tanks or pay rent on tanks. For the once or twice a year that I need the heat, oxyacetylene was expensive and it seemed like I always had one tank that was near empty when I needed it. I think it works better on an AC welder than DC.

Comment

That looks useful, but perhaps TIG could be used similarly and more controllable? Would likely need shielding gas though.

Comment

Originally posted by RMinMN View Post
              I have an old one, probably from the mid 1950's. I find it a bit touchy to get the right arc going but it works good for heating things for bending. Hotter than an oxyacetylene and you don't need to refill tanks or pay rent on tanks. For the once or twice a year that I need the heat, oxyacetylene was expensive and it seemed like I always had one tank that was near empty when I needed it. I think it works better on an AC welder than DC.
              It does work better on AC. DC wears the electrodes unevenly.
              Helder Ferreira
              Setubal, Portugal

Comment

I remember repairing one of these back in 1979 in South Africa

Helder Ferreira
                Setubal, Portugal

Comment

good for brazing and soldering, or just applying a lot of heat in a little spot. Not commonly used much any more, most people use oxy-acetylene, or TIG.
                  25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Useful---electrodes on either side of a nut --- red hot in a moment!

Comment

Thanks guys....

I should have said "carbon" arc torch, but I guess everyone knew what i meant

Comment

I've used a single carbon torch years ago to weld sheet metal. With our welders we could turn the amps way down similar to a tig welder and small dia. filler rod and could weld 18 ga galv. pretty easy.

Comment

Originally posted by barracudajoe View Post
                          I've used a single carbon torch years ago to weld sheet metal. With our welders we could turn the amps way down similar to a tig welder and small dia. filler rod and could weld 18 ga galv. pretty easy.
                          I have one of those single carbon torches too but never knew how to use it. Now I might. Thanks.

Comment

They also give you a hell of a sunburn, even through clothes, ask me how I know!
                            there used to be a Keller carbon arc torch over here in the 70s, brutal heat, glad I threw that out
                            mark

Comment

Originally posted by barracudajoe View Post
                              Now there's a skill you don't see too often any more, I've heard stories like this but never had the chance to try it.
                              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X