Off topic we wont sell to you ,,a rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Corbettprime View Post
    ...2nd, checked local Home Depot, they have both extension and torsion garage srings for sale.
    Yes they do have regular torsion springs. They just don't have EZ-Set Replacement springs. They are not the same as regular torsion springs.

Yet they do still sell the EZ-Set conversion kits and whole doors with EZ-Set Systems. I just needed the spring.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Comment

If the customer smiles when he hears the price you are too low. If he doesn't buy it you are too high. If he grumbles and buys it you re just right.

Comment

In some countries (like Jamaica), you might ask the price of something or be told what it is. If you immediately buy it for that amount, the vendor will generally be quite insulted, because he figures he could have gotten even more. Haggling is their business model.
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

I have had my business name registered in two states, Texas and Iowa and I have not received a single word from any tax collector. I don't know if that would be the case in New York, California, or Illinois. I have paid income tax on my business earnings. But Texas does not have an income tax so now it is only the US Internal Revenue that I file with. I suspect there is a common thread there, but we are not supposed to discuss political subjects here.

Anyway, I said that you could probably get away with just a majority of my steps: all of them would not be necessary.

Originally posted by AntonLargiader View Post

And then they will tell you, based on the type of business, what taxes you must file each month or quarter, even if you owe nothing, and tax you on your business assets, etc. It ain't a free ride everywhere.
          Paul A.
          SE Texas

Make it fit.
          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

I totally agree. I don't mind and often do pay more at a local store among other reasons, for the convenience of picking it up right now, TODAY. If I am getting it from a local store, I know I am paying for their cost of doing business and holding an inventory for instant sale; no waiting. If I am going to have to wait anyway, then I often simply say no thanks and get it on-line and save the difference. If the local store wants my business, he should have the item I WANT in stock. And if he doesn't, then that is a problem with his business model, not my purchasing model.

This is not a universal rule that trumps every other consideration and I do sometimes wait for an item to be delivered to a local store. But it is my choice, not something that is imposed on me by some sense of required loyalty to that store.

Originally posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
            I don't mind paying a bit more for retail price if it means I can walk out with the item. Sometimes I need it now, and would expect stores to stock wear items and routine maintenance parts for their equipment. Lately I've been getting the "we don't have one in stock, but I can order you one", then they expect me to pay full retail price for something. No thanks, you get the retail price for taking a chance and stocking the item. You don't get it for making a few clicks on your screen then "maybe" calling me in a week when it comes in. I can do the same thing from my couch and get it direct to my door in 2 days. The world is changing. Some for the better, some for the worse. I won't miss the middle man who adds zero value to the transaction and takes a very disproportionate skim off the top. See ya.

The downside to losing that retail business is that right now e commerce prices are lower than retail, but once they start squeezing retail out of the game, you can bet those prices will start climbing back up.....
            Paul A.
            SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

That also works here in used car lots. My son was quite surprised when I showed him how that worked by getting a used car salesman to chase us down as I started to drive off the lot. But I don't think he was insulted, just desperate.

There are many other businesses where you need to know the correct purchasing strategy. I learned a lot about that while working for self made millionaires.

Originally posted by PStechPaul View Post
              In some countries (like Jamaica), you might ask the price of something or be told what it is. If you immediately buy it for that amount, the vendor will generally be quite insulted, because he figures he could have gotten even more. Haggling is their business model.
              Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 07-31-2020, 03:37 AM.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Somewhat divergent but maybe still appropriate... Back when I was the Foreman at the stamping shop I used to get magazines like Modern Machine Shop and New Equipment Digest. One day while scanning through NED I saw a write up on Magnetic Particle Clutches and thought of how much better they would be on our rolling mills as payouts and takeups in place of the air clutches we used. I spoke to a rep and arranged a meet & greet with our Plant Manager and senior rolling mill guy. KAPOW !. Within days we had techs from them setting up instruments and our tool room making brackets and spindles. It was a synergistic arrangement that helped both companies improve or expand their abilities. We saved lots of compressed air and were able to roll much more consistent, thinner soft solder foils through the mills. They had an expanded market with real time data and experience to help other customers. I got a pretty good bonus.

After the BS mentioned in the tool box thread and leaving that company, I was no longer able to get those magazines, because I wasn’t a “ principal “ employee with purchasing power. I just never understood why a previous subscriber who then became a rank & file machine shop guy was treated with such disdain by publishing companies whose sole purpose is to create sales.
                Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

I still occasionally get New Equipment Digest and other industrial magazines like PAC World. And I get on-line digital subscriptions to many others, although I rarely have the time or enthusiasm to read them, much less renew. Yet they persist. Occasionally I find an interesting article worth reading, and the PAC magazine has some truly beautiful photography and some articles that I enjoy reading. Their March issue even shows a test set I designed - the PSA-100 (with PAM-360 phase angle meter)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Figures_12-14_PSA-100.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	1889994
                  http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                  Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                  USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Been off line few days and just saw this thread.

I had almost forgotten the good old days of multi-tier pricing for the same part at the auto parts store. Even repair shops played the game. When I worked for a reputable shop, the owner had a Rolodex with instructions for suppliers we didn’t have an official account with. “For fuel widget call Fred’s Acme Fuel Parts. Ask for Larry. Tell Larry what we need, use Turtle Racing for the account name and tell him it’s a Cash Pickup”.

The “we won’t sell to you” is always annoying with “no longer sell to you” even more so. Sometimes its really annoying. Ever tried to buy parts for a Kubota engine installed in a Bobcat? Don’t even try at the Kubota dealer. Always have found a way to get what is needed or a suitable sub.

Often it seems to be the bean counter accountants that decide (or convince the higher ups) every transaction must be a positive balance. (No over the counter sales, large minimum amount order) Accountants seem to have no clue that such policies can kill future lucrative business.

I wonder how the killing of ENCO has fared MSC now that a few years have passed.

Comment

Working...
                    X