Can You Think of Any Uses For These?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can You Think of Any Uses For These?

You guys are creative, so what would you use them for? Portable air tank? My gas supplier in Colorado gave me some Argon and CO2 in this size to use for back ups.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-07-30 at 3.35.23 PM.jpg
Views:	485
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	1889790
    https://rapidcity.craigslist.org/hab...168745619.html

I see some awesome tuned bells or wind-chimes there. I made a full octave bell set out of brake drums when I was in the service, Sounded great, Didn't travel well. Wish I had taken the effort to have kept them.

Comment

Manifold the lot together as an air tank for you compressor, aka pneumatic accumulator, save the compressor kicking in in the middle of the night
      mark

Comment

Sell one to Boats for a portable air tank.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...home-shop-jobs

Comment

I imagine they can't be used for the original purpose anymore, so the question does come up about the legality of alternate uses if they are used to store compressed gasses- especially if they are transported. Would that be an issue?

I like the tuned bells idea. Or use them as legs for a custom heavy duty table, or to hold various liquids in the shop- coolant recycling tanks, etc. Or as a shock absorber in a hydraulic system. Maybe make a gas cannon to shoot projectiles for fun.

What material are they? Looks like aluminum. If steel, they could be used as counterweights.

Maybe build a replica of a launch system- your own backyard space shuttle booster. Or build a bumper for your 4x4.

Perhaps a burglar deterrent- hang one by a rope and set up a trigger. Or make a post pounder. Or send a few to Brian to make his next engine cylinders.
          Last edited by darryl; 07-30-2020, 08:11 PM.
          I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

I know -- how about heavy-duty Seltzer bottles !? Put a real nice polish on them, machine some valves... as gifts... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_siphon

Comment

What was the original working pressure and test pressure?

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by boslab View Post
                Manifold the lot together as an air tank for you compressor, aka pneumatic accumulator, save the compressor kicking in in the middle of the night
                mark
                You'd have more tied up in fittings than a new big tank would cost . :-)
                ...lew...

Comment

Originally posted by Ian B View Post
                  What was the original working pressure and test pressure?

Ian
                  Argon would have been around 2500 PSI, not sure about the CO2

Comment

Those are home medical oxygen tanks

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
                      Those are home medical oxygen tanks
                      Looks like his gas supplier had repurposed them:
                      "My gas supplier in Colorado gave me some Argon and CO2 in this size to use for back ups."

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post

Looks like his gas supplier had repurposed them:
                        "My gas supplier in Colorado gave me some Argon and CO2 in this size to use for back ups."
                        That's correct! Since I have moved from Colorado, and can't get them refilled around here, I looking for a suggestion how to recycle them. Maybe a wind chime? Darryl has some GREAT ideas. Keep'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Edwards View Post
                          Sell one to Boats for a portable air tank.

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...home-shop-jobs
                          Lol.

Weld a handle on em and stick a big ball valve in and sell them as cheetah tanks.
                          21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                          1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Buoys? Scuba tanks? Bollards set evenly all around a property?

Comment

Aluminum tank? Brass valve body? Maybe save four or five for when that perfect re-purpose is thought of. Scrap the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X