X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pontoon boat?
    Len

Comment

Remember that dipping bird thing? Its beak would dip into water, warming a working fluid thus transferring it and changing the balance of the bird. The wet beak would cool the fluid, making the bird dip again. It would cycle like that every 15 second or something like that.

There was a wheel of sorts at one time, set up with a working fluid that would cycle back and forth, upsetting the balance so the wheel would continuously turn. The exposed part would get heated by the sun, which would push the working fluid to one side. It was basically opposing tanks connected by a tube- the tanks were the spokes of the wheel. Not a very good explanation, but the idea should be clear. Would make an interesting backyard water pump kind of thing.
      I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

They could be made into nice cannons for a waterpark..

Comment

Originally posted by 754 View Post
          They could be made into nice cannons for a waterpark..
          Or the shells to be launced from a RailGun.

Comment

We had a couple of French air cylinders at the museum which were charged at about 4000psi, about 8" diameter and 24" long. There was no safe way of discharging them as they had electrical connections using a detonator to blow a burst disc. The gauges were that cheap design using a sealed ended helical tube, the end being straight as a pointer. I just drilled through the plastic crystal and into the helical tube which had a bore of about 0.010", they took about a fortnight to empty and now they are valuable metal stock, I have used both ends of one and sections of the tube for rings. The aluminium is very high quality.

Comment

I can imagine that material is a high quality- it would be a shame not to use it for its properties. Of course that would mean using it as a pressure vessel- but whatever. It probably would not be good for casting stock, but likely would be good as a base or a hub for a weldement.
              I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Maybe the Original post could be worded as: I have about 100 of these cylinder, to what eventual purpose could all be put?
                The industrial gas dealer may have considered scrapping them but the cost in labor of having an employee removal all the valves, transport time exceeded the scrap value.

Comment

Working...
                X