OT: Small Astronomical Treat - Moon & Venus in Conjunction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Small Astronomical Treat - Moon & Venus in Conjunction

When I stepped out to get the mail earlier this evening I was rewarded with this small astronomical treat: the Moon & Venus (correction) Jupiter in conjunction and framed with the trunk and a branch of the tree in my front lawn. I thought it was a beautiful sight and quickly got my camera.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P208Red800x1000.JPG Views:	102 Size:	130.8 KB ID:	1890150
    This is one of the first times that I have used a digital camera for astronomical work but I think it came out well. I took a couple dozen shots but this one was only the third.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 08-02-2020, 06:52 PM.
    Paul A.
    SE Texas

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    When I stepped out to get the mail earlier this evening I was rewarded with this small astronomical treat: the Moon & Venus in conjunction ...
    That is the Moon and Jupiter. I have been watching it for the last week, as it and Saturn get closer to the Moon. Tonight the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn formed a tight triangle.

If you have a good pair of binoculars you will be able to see the four Galilean moons of Jupiter.

You should know it is not Venus, which has an orbit inside Earth's orbit around the sun. The fact that the Moon is almost full now indicates that the planet in your photo has an orbit greater than the Earth orbit.
    Last edited by aostling; 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM.
    Allan Ostling

Phoenix, Arizona

Comment

Jupiter, Saturn and Venus should be visible with the Moon.

Comment

I saw that last night. It was in the Southeast. Venus never makes it over there being an inner planet.

Comment

yep, saw the same in a perfect sky here last night.

Comment

If the air is clear you can see Jupiter's 4 "Galileo" moons with a good pair of binoculars. A small
            scope makes them easily visible...
            Keith

Comment

anybody here messed around with ATM scopes or Dobson's?

Comment

Paul: About what time did you see it? I intend to watch for it tonight if the clouds cooperate.
                Thanks for posting your pic.
                Sarge41

Comment

If you want to locate an astronomical object I strongly recommend the free program, Stellarium...

https://stellarium.org/

They now have an online version with which you can try it.

Download it and install it; you won't be disappointed.
                  Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                  http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Very nice, thank you.

Keep eye on ball.
                    Hashim Khan

Comment

Well, I did think it was strange having the moon and Venus both on the opposite side of the Earth, but I simply went by the brightness. I have observed Jupiter before and seen the four moons, but it is very bright for Jupiter.

I stand corrected. And that makes it an even better photo.

Originally posted by aostling View Post

That is the Moon and Jupiter. I have been watching it for the last week, as it and Saturn get closer to the Moon. Tonight the Moon, Jupiter, and Saturn formed a tight triangle.

If you have a good pair of binoculars you will be able to see the four Galilean moons of Jupiter.

You should know it is not Venus, which has an orbit inside Earth's orbit around the sun. The fact that the Moon is almost full now indicates that the planet in your photo has an orbit greater than the Earth orbit.
                      Paul A.
                      SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

It was around an hour after sunset, probably around 9:00 PM. It was in the south-west sky so they would be heading for the horizon, but not quickly. Should be visible from sunset up to midnight at least.

You can see the cloud in my photo. Seeing was not at it's best here last night.

Originally posted by sarge41 View Post
                        Paul: About what time did you see it? I intend to watch for it tonight if the clouds cooperate.
                        Thanks for posting your pic.
                        Sarge41
                        Paul A.
                        SE Texas

Make it fit.

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                          To keep it machining related, here is a crayford type focuser I made for a 6" f/15 refractor.

Comment

It is possible to see the moon and Venus in conjunction:

https://www.space.com/venus-moon-con...uary-2020.html
                            http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                            Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                            USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Originally posted by Ringo View Post
                              I am playing with a Meade DS-114.
                              Gary Davison
                              Tarkio, Mo.

Comment

Working...
                              X