Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What method are you using to cut small "drill rod"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What method are you using to cut small "drill rod"?

I mean the area of say 1/8" or so.

It is too small to cut with most hacksaws, as the "two tooth rule" cannot be adhered to for much of the cut, and is unhandy in any case. It is too large to cut with most "wire cutters". The range of sizes is just unhandy to deal with. I mostly use a hacksaw, but it does not really work very well. Even a typical abrasive saw is out of scale for it, although it works, but I don't have one available here.

I have a largish hand operated shear out in the shed which has a rod cutting hole for up to 3/8", but it is unsuited to cutting with any sort of precision, since you cannot see any guide mark once you have pushed the rod through the hole, unless you have allowed for the stationary blade thickness.

Years ago, the magazine had an article about making a small abrasive chop saw sized for that use, and handier to use than an angle grinder. That is one possibility, but.....

I imagine that the modelmakers here have methods they prefer, which is what I am asking about.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

IIRC the typical 24TPI hack saw blade works just fine on 1/8 rod

Comment

angle grinder.
      Attached Files

Comment

The picture you posted looks like no angle grinder I have seen.... more like a chop saw with abrasive blade

Originally posted by MattiJ View Post
        IIRC the typical 24TPI hack saw blade works just fine on 1/8 rod
        The "range" includes rod around 2.25mm as well (3/32"). It becomes unhandy and troublesome. The 24 tpi is about 1mm pitch, and barely works on the 3mm rod., especially away from the diameter, as you start and finish the cut.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

cut wheel on the Dremel tool for small drill rod!

Comment

Originally posted by CalM View Post
            cut wheel on the Dremel tool for small drill rod!
            This works well me me as well. It doesn't take long either.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

I keep two hacksaws "loaded" and hanging by my vise. One with 18 TPI blade for the bigger stuff and one with a 32TPI for things just like 1/8 drill rod and other small items. A lot of my model building related metal work involves small stuff down to 1/16 or even smaller. So it's well worth having a saw setup and ready to go. But it's also my go to saw for anything from about 1/4" and under since the starting of the cut is so much easier.

In the actual model work area I've also got one of the mini hacksaws which are more like 40 or 44 TPI. Because it's a sprung frame I found that one is better set up with the teeth cutting on the pull stroke. My main use for the mini is cutting the very thin wall brass tubing I use a lot when rolling it under a knife and snapping it isn't going to work because it's already part of something else or it was given a bend and I'm cutting it mid bend. But it's also handy for thin sheet metal cutting or cutting off various carpentry nails for "pins" to use in my metal or model work.
              Last edited by BCRider; 08-04-2020, 11:50 AM.
              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post

Years ago, the magazine had an article about making a small abrasive chop saw sized for that use, and handier to use than an angle grinder. That is one possibility, but.....

Ready-to-Run Chinese versions are available:

Click image for larger version

Name:	41ZKILABs0L._AC_.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	1890590

https://www.amazon.com/DOMINTY-Grind...6555750&sr=8-9

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers View Post
                  The picture you posted looks like no angle grinder I have seen.... more like a chop saw with abrasive blade

The "range" includes rod around 2.25mm as well (3/32"). It becomes unhandy and troublesome. The 24 tpi is about 1mm pitch, and barely works on the 3mm rod., especially away from the diameter, as you start and finish the cut.
                  https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...off-stand-mods

Comment

Small rod shear?

Comment

Dremel with cutoff blade or jeweler's saw with medium blade.
                      Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                      http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Hacksaw with 24TPI or 32TPI blade, and I hold the rod between
                        2 pieces of wood. Cut wood and rod together.

Comment

Angle grinder or jewelers saw depending on how I'm feeling

Comment

Originally posted by metalfixer View Post
                            Hacksaw with 24TPI or 32TPI blade, and I hold the rod between
                            2 pieces of wood. Cut wood and rod together.
                            Is the wood just to keep the vise jaws from marking the rod? Soft jaws? Or simply to avoid the teeth catching on the small metal sizes? If it's to stop the teeth catching on the small sizes then that's a nice trick! I'll have to file that away for next time I need it.
                            Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Speaking of cutting thing like this have any of you ever made an adapter for a small 6" bench grinder that allowed you to use angle grinder wheels on the bench grinder?

I did that a few years back to let me touch up a wood bandsaw blade. It later proved handy for the odd use as a sort of cut off saw when given a suitable rest to use with the thin discs.
                              Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X