No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
    Read post #28. If you mean Google or it's products, they are nothing but data collection platforms. The other "main" one sucks brown through a straw. What version is that up to now, V298?
    I've never had a problem with IE11
    None of the buttons work for me. Can't even turn the page on the bottom buttons. Some security fascist thinks this site needs "TLS 1.2, AES with 128 bit encryption (High); ECDH_P256 with 256 bit exchange" on the buttons. Just another ploy to get everyone on privacy destroying Windoze 10. My PC won't run it and I'm not buying a new one.

Uhh... sounds like you have had a problem with IE11. Can't complain about an issue and not attempt to fix it.

Firefox? Sure, version 79. Updates take about 2 seconds (no exaggeration) when I open it sometimes. Big deal. Plenty of other good browsers like Opera or Vivaldi.
    21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
    1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Read post #28. If you mean Google or it's products, they are nothing but data collection platforms. The other "main" one sucks brown through a straw. What version is that up to now, V298?
      You should switch to Lynx. Good privacy, and only updated every few years. Sounds perfect for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lynx.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	1892095

Comment

As cheap as computers are these days, why bother messing with an old one except for when it is needed for those programs and peripherals that require it? I have laptops with Win95 (MSDOS), Win98 (with MSDOS mode), XP, Win7, Win8, and my current machine running Win10. Just use a "burner" laptop for forums, net browsing, and email, and another machine for "serious" stuff. Don't be so paranoid - there is nobody behind that curtain watching your every move and planning to do you harm.

Machines, computers, and the internet are much like animals:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-08-11_Chief_Dan_George.png
Views:	71
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	1892097
        http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
        Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
        USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Guess what, *everyone* is a data collection platform nowadays. Including your own state, and they sell the info too. And your insurance companies, etc etc etc. And every store that asks for your phone or has some kind of points or loyalty card or rewards, or your credit cards, your bank, etc etc etc.

I do care about my privacy and security, so I run the latest Firefox on FreeBSD (you won't crack that). Firefox is not sending any info that I don't tell it to -- some computers actually do give you that kind of control and freedom. And BSD (Unix) makes Linux look like a noob.

Microsoft and Apple don't give you that kind of control or freedom. They exist to please their shareholders, not you.

Comment

If you're so concerned about keeping your life secret, why do you advertise the fact that you carry a concealed weapon on a public forum?

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

I don't. How paranoid are you? Are you such an anti-rights fanatic you assume CCW stands for concealed carry weapon every time you see it? It's the initials of my company--Custom Car Works.

Comment

I'd never given any thought to the "like" feature until reading this thread. So by way of experimentation I gave McGyver's post (a few notches back) a "like" to see what would happen. The number (initially 1) did increment to 2, and the thumbs up icon stayed the same, BUT the word 'like" changed to "unlike" ....what's up with that? Is that just giving me a chance to revoke my "like?" Is that "unlike" only visible to me?
                Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl View Post
                  I'd never given any thought to the "like" feature until reading this thread. So by way of experimentation I gave McGyver's post (a few notches back) a "like" to see what would happen. The number (initially 1) did increment to 2, and the thumbs up icon stayed the same, BUT the word 'like" changed to "unlike" ....what's up with that? Is that just giving me a chance to revoke my "like?" Is that "unlike" only visible to me?
                  Yep, that's right. Basically just a way to say that your read and appreciate someone's post.
                  21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
                  1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

The "Like" button was implemented in an attempt to avoid posts where the entire contents, including images, is quoted, with just a comment such as "Wow", "That's nice", "Attaboy", and "I like that". Unfortunately, such posts still persist. You can give someone a tool, but you can't make them use it...
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

Right. Only you can "unlike" your "like". OTOH, some forums using vbulletin have a "dislike" button. Sometimes I'd like to have that here, but think of the flame wars it'd start. I'm sure George would have no part of such a button.

-js
                      There are no stupid questions. But there are lots of stupid answers. This is the internet.

Comment

Yeah, that's all we need..... an "I hate this post" button.

........ BUT the word 'like" changed to "unlike" ....what's up with that? Is that just giving me a chance to revoke my "like?" Is that "unlike" only visible to me?
                        Push button once..... it adds a "like". Push same button again, it cancels out the "like"..... So they change the button label to correspond with what would happen if you push it.

I actually think that change of ;label is more confusing than helpful, but a bit of thought identifies the intent.

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by DrMike View Post
                          How is this weird? At the time you looked, 9 people liked post #1 and only one person liked post #12.
                          Likes apply to each post individually. No one likes you, but someone occasionally might like something you write.
                          You can see your likes across all messages in the Message Center.
                          how thats weird? i dont know of any other forum, where it works like that. there seems to be no trace of any likes in the message center (notifications, go to message center). what do you do to see them?

also: when i refreshed the page this morning the were 8 notifications. when i clicked on them they changed to 1. maybe they were likes i still cant see, after i adjusted the setting yesteday?
                          Last edited by dian; 08-12-2020, 01:30 AM.

Comment

I gave McGyver's post (a few notches back) a "like" to see what would happen.
                            the skies cleared, the sun shone and I felt like a millions bucks

in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

Better have million bucks than have beef with someone?

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver View Post

thats nice, but did you get a notification?

Comment

Working...
                                X