No announcement yet.

Friction-ant OR Anti Lubricant for Small Hinge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could also grind a window on the tubular part of the hinge to expose the pin and use some kind of spring loaded friction material that presses against the pin. This way you can regulate the stiffness with the tension of the spring.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setubal, Portugal

Comment

Self closing kitchen cupboard hinge.

Comment

Originally posted by cameron View Post
        Patience and rust.
        LOL that was a good one, I would take it apart again and deform it - then actually lube the hell out of it with grease so it has tension but does not wear... done deal...

Comment

hey - think i might have an alternative --- use a long shoulder bolt with a nyloc nut on the end instead of the hinge pin, tighten to the needed tension - adjust as it wears but grease it so it does not wear as much - you will be sandwiching the hinge together and should produce lots of friction....

Comment

A gremlin and an expressed desire for it to swing freely.
            *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
              My HAND opens it. This is not a complicated project.

I did mention this is a SMALL hinge - 3/4" is the largest dimension.

Perhaps some corn head grease from John Deere? Its a thixotropic grease, liquifies in motion but sets up solid when still. Pump a dab of that in there and see how it goes.

Comment

Spray it with WD-40 and wait for the solvents to dissipate. My dad did that one of his rifles and could not get it apart next season.

Mike

Comment

Why use an adjustable hinge that is still moveable when you will only want to adjust it once?
                  At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

We need a picture of this thing.
                    http://pauleschoen.com/pix/PM08_P76_P54.png
                    Paul , P S Technology, Inc. and MrTibbs
                    USA Maryland 21030

Comment

What about replacing with some type of kitchen cabinet door hinges that are self holding?

Does this door open and close against a solid stop. If not, can it be modified to do so? If so, then how about magnets to hold in the open and closed position.

Comment

Melt some wax and soak the hinge in it for a while. It will still work but be stiffer, and resistant to moisture.
                        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Use a Noga arm.
                          Perfect application.

-D
                          DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
                            Sounds like what I want. What is it called? Where do I get it?
                            It's called damping grease...

https://www.amazon.com/Berger-Scienc...+grease&qid=15 97349528&sr=8-5

It's used on things like binocular/telescope oculars, microscope stage actuators, etc.

I'm guessing that it's rather light duty for your application. Also pricey unless you do a lot of precision machinery stuff.

Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware - Tools for People Who Build Things
                            http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Comment

Repack the hinge with a strip of iron/brass/al and bed to angle needed. Tom W
                              Tom Washburn Orem Utah

Comment

Replace
                                Tom Washburn Orem Utah

Comment

Working...
                                X