Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need to flatten thinwall pipe ends for structural use. Ideas on methods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forgot to mention: You do know conduit is NOT structural, right?

Comment

I've done this to make conduit braces and pointed stakes. The dies are made from old bed frame angle steel, heated and reshaped. Use a heavy duty vise as it takes a lot of force.

Click image for larger version  Name:	S-TubeCrimp1.jpg Views:	8 Size:	15.7 KB ID:	1893741Click image for larger version  Name:	S-TubeCrimp2.jpg Views:	8 Size:	15.1 KB ID:	1893740Click image for larger version  Name:	S-TubeCrimp3.jpg Views:	8 Size:	17.0 KB ID:	1893744Click image for larger version  Name:	S-TubeCrimp4.jpg Views:	8 Size:	14.8 KB ID:	1893742Click image for larger version  Name:	S-TubeCrimp5.jpg Views:	8 Size:	11.3 KB ID:	1893743
      Last edited by KMoffett; 08-20-2020, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCWKen View Post
        Forgot to mention: You do know conduit is NOT structural, right?
        Well, actual threaded conduit is burr-free pipe, so it is as "structural" as pipe is, according to its size and wall thickness. Pipe, even standard pipe, is quite "structural". EMT, which is what I am referring to, is thinwall, annealed, and is therefore somewhat less "structural" in terms of the loads it can carry.

Flattened end joints are not particularly "structural" either, if it comes to that (at least for compressive loading). But for light weights and short lengths, EMT is plenty "structural" enough.

What does "structural" mean to you? In what context?

Glass is not particularly wonderful "structural" material, but it is commonly used, without reinforcement for certain types of unfired pressure vessels. I'll leave it to you to figure out what those are.
        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

If you look closely at a digital signal, you find out it is really analog......

Comment

I built a geodesic "desert dome" from EMT. Each of the hundreds of lengths had its ends flattened. I did them all with a Famco 3-1/2C arbor press very fast and accurately.

metalmagpie

Comment

"What does "structural" mean to you? In what context?" --- I'm referring to an ASTM standard like A36 for construction components. I wasn't aware that "conduit" met any of those standards. If it does, now I'm educated. The 1/2" conduit I'm familiar with could bend easily. It wasn't very precision either. Perhaps it was from a foreign source. I like KMoffett's method--No welding.

Comment

you know, I have done this with a 2-lb hammer on the fab shop table at work -- they needed a new x-brace for their scaffolding. Just keep pounding on the same side, it'll flatten don in that direction.

Comment

"What does "structural" mean to you? In what context?" --- I'm referring to an ASTM standard like A36 for construction components. I wasn't aware that "conduit" met any of those standards. If it does, now I'm educated. The 1/2" conduit I'm familiar with could bend easily. It wasn't very precision either. Perhaps it was from a foreign source. I like KMoffett's method--No welding.
                For many "structural" applications, A36 is unacceptable. It's all about what structure, what loading, etc.

What you call "conduit" is NOT conduit. It is "EMT", "Electrical Metallic Tubing" (Article 358). Actual "conduit" is threaded and is essentially pipe that is smooth on the ID. Various scheduled pipe is in fact used for structures, and "actual conduit" may be equivalent to specific scheduled pipe, in which case it is "structural" in that way as well.

As it happens I am making a small "structure" to hold up some reasonably light things, and EMT will do fine. You mean EMT can bend? SHOCKING! Heavy bridge beams have a bending load also. The "structure" is designed in part by selecting beams etc that will not be loaded to yield until the margin/factor of safety is exceeded.
                1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

Everyone around here knows what conduit is. I can ask for metal or plastic in a size and they know exactly what I'm talking about. I don't know where you shop but conduit may or may NOT be EMT. --- I tried to give it one more shot. I'm done with you. All you like to do is argue with your ignorance.

Comment

Techspecs are for techs. If I go into HD and ask for conduit, guess what I 'll get? I'm betting on thin wall stuff. I like the idea of the notched die and the hydraulic press. Great reason to buy one. I used that rationale to justify buying an engine hoist to load and unload that little SB 9" I bought. Because it was a floormount model, I'm guessing 800 to a 1000 lbs from the way it set the trailer down. I'm looking for a set of the short brackets to convert it to a bench mount. Figure I can weld up a motor/pulley bracket. I forgot to add that if I go into Consolidated Electrical Wholesale and ask for conduit, I'll get the heavy wall stuff. Just depends on where you shop.
                    Last edited by Corbettprime; 08-20-2020, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Why ask if all you want to do is pick apart answers you get. If it was me I would use the 50 ton press I made and if I didn't have that I would use the hammer and bench and it would still look good. Have you ever done simple projects like this before?

Comment

...... I tried to give it one more shot. I'm done with you. All you like to do is argue with your ignorance.
                        ?????

Probably I should be glad, you are quite grumpy, and it shows. "Ignorance".... LOL..... you cannot find ONE statement I made that is wrong, but don't answer, I won't see it.....😁
                        1601 2137 5683 1002 1437

Keep eye on ball.
                        Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post
                          Did you notice about 1 minute in, lower left, you can see a worker with sandals on, exposed toes.

That's a pretty hokey operation. With a simple die they could assure the flat is on one side and could eliminate the straightening operation.

Comment

I'm done with you. All you like to do is argue with your ignorance.
                            Thats F-in rude as all get out. We dont usually respond with lame azzed insults as calling some one Ignorant. I think you own an apology.

This site is NOT like other sites. You dont like what you hear you are smart enough to not respond with insults.
                            JMO.

I dont run this Gin Joint.. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post
                              Did you notice about 1 minute in, lower left, you can see a worker with sandals on, exposed toes.
                              Hahaaa. I had to look around and make sure no one was you tubing me I wear thongs (feet not butt) in my home shop. Welded thousands of lines of metal and turned just as much and still cant wear proper foot gear. Thats on me and my shop. Never any foot injuries. Always the hands. Oh, I always wear eye protection.

And, I dont allow anyone in my shop. I dont tell my Wife what to do though... JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Originally posted by DR View Post

That's a pretty hokey operation. With a simple die they could assure the flat is on one side and could eliminate the straightening operation.
                                Doesn't require a die, possibly just a flame cut and grinder finished piece of plate. A little straightening as a second op.

Comment

Working...
                                X