Value of old bike

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

darryl-.....
    Was in a little town in BC with my friend one day, Lytton it was. Went in for ice cream, then walked back towards the bikes. Eyes were on us as we walked in our leathers, and we both walked in between the bikes. We were joking- which one of us would be getting on the Harley? She was shorter than me, and about 100 lbs. I taller and 150 or so. We stood for a few seconds, then she turns to the Harley and I towards the smaller Honda. People watching us just started smiling - me too. It was a beautiful day, and that area is so nice for riding- Lytton, Lilloet area. BC has lots of nice areas to ride.
    Had something like that back with my wife at the time. My ride at that point was the compact looking Ducati 900SS from the early 90's. My wife had a Beemer 1100RS. So quite a size difference between the two. We were sitting at a sidewalk cafe having a nice lunch and TWO times passerbys asked me how I liked my Beemer. And I just said "you'll have to ask my wife, it's her bike". One of them asked me if I were not too big for the Duc....

Oh how I wish I'd never traded that Duc away. I think of all the bikes I've owned that one is the one that made me reach for my helmet and gloves on a whim more than any other. Or perhaps my lovely to ride Guzzi is just as good but my head was in a different place at the time?

Willy, I hear ya on the small bike being so handy. I still have a Suzuki DR350 with a set of smooth tires for street. For short errands it's my go to bike just because it's so perfect for in town or just a few short minutes on the highway. So nimble and fun it should almost be illegal. And easily more than enough power for city riding. So I fully understand what you're saying.
    Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I ride cb 750,s ..only the SOHC model.. and have been since 1975... for a time i rode an R100 RT. Great bike.
      anyway I like the early naked GoldWing.. before they added all the stuff.. at one time I thought I may pick one up as I still do the odd 700 miles or plus a day a few times a year if I get to travel .
      Anyway so I called about a 79 or 80 I think, went over to see it.. and I looked and it was just too big for everyday use..
      Keep in mind we pay more to insure 1000 or 1100 cc bikes than 750..
      BUT MAINLY.... over the year's ..I developed a philosophy about bikes..... get and own, what suits the purpose for 90 per cent of your riding needs.. .. now it seems we developed a culture of sniveling old guys. In our vintage club, this was an oft repeated scenario.. we would get out on our standard bike from 70, s and 80,s....for the odd 300 mile ride in a day... and invariably there would be some guy , couldn't cut it , and would announce that he was looking for a couch....meaning ... a Wing, Vulture, that sort of older touring rig..
      This is why I posted this bike on the Old Guys Riding site, ...only no one is stepping up ..so far..
      Now I get that people like a bit of comfort, and many like their car or truck secretly more than bikes... but a sprinkle of suffering now and then , ain't so bad ...unless we are made of sugar.. ..and by that I mean.. maybe you are better off suffering a bit on a standard bike, for 3 to 7 days on the road in a year .. that you MIGHT do.. and then you won't be firing up the landbarge.. just to run down to the supermarket... to carry back coffee creamer or a loaf of bread...
      Maybe I just have a crazy concept of being closer to practical, than subscribing to the N American way of bigger is better all the time...
      Last edited by 754; 08-24-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

In 1981, my dad called me and said I have a bike for you. He had a bike shop in Merritt back in the day. After being assured that I would be riding one home, I bought a bus ticket and he picked me up at the depot. Weekend of visiting, etc- part of which was to check out the bike. When I got there, the Hawk was up on the stand, with a cylinder balancing setup on it. The tech at the time was a Japanese guy, and he was giving it the full treatment. Got it fully prepped and down on the floor- then it was time for beers and barbeque, etc.

The next day my dad said 'now I want you to take this bike out for a test spin'. It was a Yamaha- off I went, ok that was cool. 'Now I want you to ride this one'- a Suzuki. Ok, I rode back - now take this one out, a Kowie I think. Ok. All these bikes were in the same displacement class, the Yam was a 405 I think, others were just under that. Ok- 'now take this one out'. It was the Honda Hawk- I knew right away that this was the bike I wanted- and dad said 'I knew you'd like this one'. That's why they were prepping it, 'cause they knew I'd be riding that one home.

I dumped it twice on the way home, both times in loose gravel at a rest stop. The first time I overestimated the power of the front brake- down I went, ego hurting and mad that I'd put the first scratches on it. It was a cold day to ride, and the second time I pulled into a rest stop I was wary of the front brake. I was flexing my fingers because it was cold, and wouldn't you know it, I accidently grabbed the front brake lever. Down I went again. Suitably humbled, the rest of the trip was uneventful. I lived through the next few months as I learned how to ride defensively, narrowly avoiding several incidents of people pulling out in front of me. Getting out on some open road was soooo nice. Now I can't wait to shuffle some of my vehicles around so I can get the Hawk out of the garage again.
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

No George it's not. Why was I blocked as flylo? I just commented in the covid-19 thread & wasn't offensive. I don't understand, can you please tell me why?

Comment

Originally posted by George Bulliss View Post

Hello Flylo, how ya been?

I'm sure this post is not an attempt at selling your wife's bike, as I know I've discussed our no for sale policy with you a time or two.
            Hahaa. Oh Geo has a humor. Yer funny. How didja catch him? IP? JR

Comment

Originally posted by darryl View Post
              I dumped it twice on the way home, both times in loose gravel at a rest stop
              Hey, thanks for the story now I dont feel bad.\\

Sometime in the 90s I was visiting my future Wife at school (UCLA) and sitting in freebie with her on classes.

This day was Genetics, she was pre-med. We always sat in the front row. So after class we ate and I would head home to Santa Clarita and get ready for my night time shift.

On campus at UCLA and I idle through there caue school., I go to stop at a stop sign and didnt see a truck had dumped some sand right at the limit line for the stop. I put my left foot down and out it slid. I was stopped and they bike went down.

Embarrassing? Lil bit. Pissed of at myself? Yes. That was the only time that bike was ever on its side.

Trying to lift it with the sand? Errr! JR

Comment

Got a nibble looks like..

Comment

Originally posted by JRouche View Post

Hahaa. Oh Geo has a humor. Yer funny. How didja catch him? IP? JR
                  Maybe posts like these are a giveaway;
                  When searching for electric motors, I found HGR Industrial Surplus, and they seem to have some fantastic deals on all sorts of motors, such as a 5 HP motor for just $38: Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_5HP.png But they also have machine tools (https://hgrinc.com/surplus/machine-tools/?all=0&last_chance=

I find myself facing a situation that some of you may also be facing or may have dealt with in the past: breaking up my basement metalworking shop. I haven't been using the shop much the last couple of years, and, if I'm honest, I'm starting to feel my age. So maybe it's time to start thinking about breaking up the shop. I

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe View Post

Maybe posts like these are a giveaway;
                    When searching for electric motors, I found HGR Industrial Surplus, and they seem to have some fantastic deals on all sorts of motors, such as a 5 HP motor for just $38: Screenshot_2020-08-06 Used Motors Equipment For Sale_5HP.png But they also have machine tools (https://hgrinc.com/surplus/machine-tools/?all=0&last_chance=

https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...38#post1889738
                    Oh, didnt read those. JR

Comment

I brought this home 50 years ago today.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	95552587-A215-49BB-9410-7D1182E4F6F6.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	249.7 KB
ID:	1895064
                      I still own it and am currently doing a build in my little shop.
                      Illigitimi non Carborundum 😎
                      9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade and 15.5 in refinery unit operations. Now retired. El Paso, TX

Comment

Originally posted by Tim The Grim View Post
                        I brought this home 50 years ago today.
                        I still own it and am currently doing a build in my little shop.
                        Wow an old K model Sportster!
                        Glad to see it went to it's "forever" home a long time ago and that it didn't end up languishing under a tarp in a scrap yard only to die a slow death at the hands of the great unwashed.
                        You'll have to keep us posted when you get it on the road again.
                        Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                        Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Working...
                        X