No announcement yet.

Thread Wires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used Pee Dee for years with no issues .
    On a 20" 16 TPI seat ring thread you need 3 hands or help.
    Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	5E0B0774-73CC-4115-9EB1-8B068E0547F1.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	1894564Click image for larger version

Name:	24DB0334-6354-4FFE-8B96-C737B802FD97.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	1894565

Comment

We used these also, great for freeing up a hand and compared to 3 wire.

Comment

The little triangle bit fits in the thread and you measure over that? How are they held onto the thread, same as thread wires?
          25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Originally posted by nickel-city-fab View Post
            The little triangle bit fits in the thread and you measure over that? How are they held onto the thread, same as thread wires?
            Yes has 3 different flats for different leads, just put mike on flat and and other end of mike just sits on the thread crests. You have take Nominal OD measurement and use that in calculation..
            It measures Pitch Dia.
            Last edited by redlee; 08-23-2020, 10:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redlee View Post

Yes has 3 different flats for different leads, just put mike on flat and and other end of mike just sits on the thread crests. You have take Nominal OD measurement and use that in calculation..
              Cool, thanks. Never seen that before. I used thread wires *once* in school, and then I went and bought thread mics.
              But I know of at least one shop in my area, that cuts threads a few feet in diameter... you could use pipes instead of wires to measure that one I bet.
              25 miles north of Buffalo NY, USA

Comment

Never seen a "single triangle" version. Seems as if that might not be very accurate at all. Taking an OD measurement first is all cute and nice, I guess, but you don't necessarily get a good reading even so. That would depend on the thread AND any crest defects being symmetrical.

I have a set of two triangles, which do a good job on clean threads. I have thread wires, they work also. I have a number of thread gauges, but they are also inaccurate unless you use a full-form cutter, since any burrs throw them off.

I have thread mics for some diameter/pitch combos, and they are not very accurate, they are to thou only, and you need to set them to size by means of a standard first, for best accuracy. The thread gauges are go-nogo, and are not "on-size", they are limit gauges.

Wires usually don't care about normal burrs, triangles can be thrown way off by them, while gauges are wildly wrong if there are burrs, and so are thread mics.
                Last edited by J Tiers; 08-24-2020, 12:15 PM.
                CNC machines only go through the motions.

Ideas expressed may be mine, or from anyone else in the universe.
                Not responsible for clerical errors. Or those made by lay people either.
                Number formats and units may be chosen at random depending on what day it is.
                I reserve the right to use a number system with any integer base without prior notice.
                Generalizations are understood to be "often" true, but not true in every case.

Comment

Originally posted by Bented View Post
                  Measuring threads over wires is annoying at best, I do a good deal of it, if another method is available such as a thread micrometer use it.

If one is truly concerned about PD accuracy simply buy high accuracy matched wires for each job, these are available from such sources as MSC for less then $100.00 per set of three wires.
                  Mitutoyo has holder for the wires that clips to the micrometer anvil.

tool gloat time: I have full set like one shown below
                  https://www.actionis.com/mitutoyo-31...1-um-tolerance

Comment

Working...
                  X