Converting bench grinder to run diamond cup style wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting bench grinder to run diamond cup style wheel

This is not intended as a "how to" thread, but rather general information about what I'm doing. I have a bench grinder which I inherited from my father. He bought it from the last blacksmith operating out of Bancroft, Ontario, so it may be older than I am. I am going to convert one end to run a diamond cup style wheel with the appropriate toolrest, to sharpen brazed carbide lathe tooling. There are varying opinions about brazed carbide tooling, and I'm not going to argue for or against using it. I spent this morning modeling the grinder in 3D and I have also modeled the cup style diamond wheel which I have ordered from China. There is about a six week lead time on delivery of this wheel, so while I wait for it, I will design and build the toolrest. The grinder identity plate says it is 1/3 HP and 3450 rpm.

Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

:-) And when the cup shows up with different dimensions you do the design all over again.
    ...lew...

Comment

Well, Lew--aren't you just a little ray of sunshine!! I have considered that, and I will make the toolrest adjustable so that I can compensate for that.
      Brian Rupnow
      Design engineer
      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Very nice rest supports on that grinder already. It was made when Skil made real tools and had a reputation to match.

Comment

It will work. How well depends upon how flat the wheel is when you get it because they are hard to true up on a bench grinder.
          Grit size and concentration will also affect results as you already know.
          I did the same thing for a 4 facet drill bit sharpener I am working on. Reamed the hole on the adapter to get a better fit on the bench grinder
          Made the adapter out of a solid piece of aluminum and drilled the holes at 120 degree pattern to keep it balanced for the top pressure plate on the adapter.
          Hope it works out for you for what you need.

Comment

Looks good , I think it should work well.
            Dont have an opinion of offshore diamond products, hopefully its face runs true. Price is attractive , mine was $350
            I have 4 grinders of good quality and age and all were due for new bearings, made a big difference. Nice and quiet and dont run on for ever after shutdown.
            Beaver County Alberta Canada

Comment

Okay--After an afternoon party/picnic birthday party for a 13 year old grand-daughter I came home and put this together. Items that are the same color are welded together. If something is a different color, it bolts on. Many thanks to McGyver for this design. I copied his design and changed it to fit my grinder. Lew may be right. Maybe the diamond cup will come in a different size that was listed on the page I ordered it from. I have a lot of built in adjustability to compensate for that happening.

Brian Rupnow
              Design engineer
              Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I'm loving it already -- beautiful grinder! Your plans match what I was thinking to do someday.

Comment

OHS will never allow it to run as there aren't any wheel guards or throat guards on that machine😁😁
                  Glenn Bird

Comment

A slot for a miter gauge would be very useful.

Comment

Joel--You may be right. I'll have to think about that one. One thing about it, the top plate is a bolt on, so I could probably have a plain one as shown and a second plate with provision for a miter gauge. Woodenbird--What can I say about safety? I do certain things in my home shop that are not safe. I know they're not safe, and I will live with the consequences. I don't recommend that other people do anything unsafe. The last twenty years that I worked I was safetied right out of my mind by "safety committees" at customers that I built and designed machines for.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Good job Brian,
                        That parallels the thread I started recently
                        ​​​​​​https://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/fo...er-adaptations
                        I'll be watching closely.
                        did you get the wheels from Ebay?

Comment

Ringo--Yes, I bought them on ebay. They are 5" diameter x 150 grit, and cost me $47 Canadian for two of them with free shipping from china.
                          Brian Rupnow
                          Design engineer
                          Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Brian,
                            I was more in the fun/joking area than in the actual safety. We all do things in our own shop that won't pass in the over regulated workplaces of today. It is amazing that we are still here according to the new generation.
                            Glenn Bird

Comment

has anybody attempted to use the diamond wheels from Lowes/Home Depot that are diamond for tile cutting?
                              do they blow up or something?

Comment

Working...
                              X