No announcement yet.

Converting bench grinder to run diamond cup style wheel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This morning I took a break from my Trevithick train engine build and finished off my diamond cup grinder job. I had to make an aluminum adapter because the bore on the diamond cup is 32 mm while the shaft on my grinder is only 1/2", but I expected to do that. I also made the adapter thick enough that the grinder shaft doesn't extend past the front of the diamond surface. Everything is finished now except for actually trying it out. I may find a different place to mount the grinder than on my small table in the garage---I'm running out of room there. I will sharpen a carbide bit on it later today and let you know how it works out.---Brian

Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Squeaky wheel here. If you use some kind of lubricant, your diamond will last a LOT longer.
      VitŮŽria, Brazil

Comment

Hi David--
        I will be spraying the diamond with a spritzer bottle of water before using it. Apparently this lubricates the diamond wheel and cuts down on the carbide dust which is very bad stuff for your lungs.
        Brian Rupnow
        Design engineer
        Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by brian Rupnow View Post
          ...cuts down on the carbide dust which is very bad stuff for your lungs.

Sounds like a job to give to the apprentice!

Comment

The diamond wheel seems to sharpen the carbide just fine. The wheel has a bit of run-out, but that doesn't seem to affect how the sharpening turns out. After sharpening I was able to take a 0.002" deep cut from a 1/2" diameter piece of cold rolled at 700 rpm. and leave a good finish.
            Brian Rupnow
            Design engineer
            Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

The diamond wheel seems to sharpen the carbide just fine. The wheel has a bit of run-out, but that doesn't seem to affect how the sharpening turns out. After sharpening I was able to take a 0.002" deep cut from a 1/2" diameter piece of cold rolled at 700 rpm. and leave a good finish.
              That is excellent! And in the long run I'll bet its a lot cheaper than buying inserts. Harbor Freight here in Niagara Falls had a box of a dozen brazed carbide bits (1/2" shank) for $16, all the same style -- identical to the one you show. If you can regrind them you'll probably get a lifetime of use out of them.

Comment

If you wish you can true/dress your diamond wheel with a piece of old aluminium oxide grinding wheel.(AlO dressing sticks for this specific purpose are also available)
                Makes a mess and probably wears 1000 cubic inches of aluminium oxide for one cubic inch of diamond wheel but material is cheap.

Comment

Thank you for that information MattiJ---Brian
                  Brian Rupnow
                  Design engineer
                  Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Are you happy with the speeds or is it a bit slow .

Comment

Plunger--I don't have anything to compare it to. It seems to work fine at 3450 rpm, although that is slower than the internet seems to think it should be running at.
                      Brian Rupnow
                      Design engineer
                      Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Rough it down to shape with high RPM
                        then slow RPM for a fine finish without
                        a micro chipped edge.
                        3 phase grinder with a VFD is really nice for this.

-=- D
                        DZER

Comment

I have one or two booklets devoted to a table and accessories for a bench grinder. They went into drill bit sharpening and, if I recall correctly even end mill sharpening. I tried but could not locate it/them. My office is a MESS! I believe it was one of David Gingery's or one of the Workshop Practice Series, I can't remember which. But it/they were well worth the price.

Perhaps someone else can fill in the details about them.

Originally posted by metalmagpie View Post
                          Rudy Kouhoupt published plans for a super simple grinding table. It ran in HSM and it is featured in his video on sharpening lathe toolbits. While enormously simpler than those referred to above, it is quite capable.

metalmagpie
                          Paul A.
                          SE Texas

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there IS a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                          X