Cutting 1/8" round carbide blank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cutting 1/8" round carbide blank

I have a need to cut or break some 1/8" carbide into 1/4" long pieces. Is it just a matter of scoring and snapping it?

I would do it this way:
    1 drill a 1/8" hole 1/4" deep in a bit of steel or brass bar.
    2 put your carbide in a collet with about 5/16" sticking out in the lathe or mill.
    3 use a cheap square or triangular diamond mini file to score it as it rotates slowly.
    4 use the drilled bar to snap off the carbide.
    This is not guaranteed to work perfectly as carbide is unpredictable, but its the best I could think of.

Comment

How "straight" do you want the edges to be? Essentially scoring it with the triangle diamond file sounds like it might work. But if it doesn't you may need something more like a small diamond cut off wheel in a Dremel or similar. And if you need enough of them it would be worth getting one of the very small cutoff saws and put in a diamond blade. Or rig up a holder for your Dremel to turn it into a temporary cutoff saw.

Many have warned of the carbide grinding dust though. Wear a good particulate mask. And keep the dust away from any machine tools.
      Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

The cut end doesn't need to be perfectly square.
        Thanks

Comment

Take a quick look online, might be something you can buy already cut. Are the ends staying square ?

Comment

I don't care about the ends staying square. I need to break the pieces off instead of cutting them off because I don't want to lose the amount of each saw kerf.

Comment

Originally posted by challenger View Post
              I have a need to cut or break some 1/8" carbide into 1/4" long pieces. Is it just a matter of scoring and snapping it?
              Yes Sir, that is what I do. 1/8" will be easy. JR

Comment

Working...
              X