No announcement yet.

Really OT: Anyone here into aquariums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really OT: Anyone here into aquariums?

My older sister has just recently developed an interest aquariums, potentially saltwater aquariums, I think. Her birthday is this month and I thought I'd get her some kind of book on aquariums but I don't know enough about the subject to even determine where she should start her odyssey.

Lots of good people here with wide ranging interests, so I thought I'd post and see if anyone cared to recommend a book or other beginner's supplies / equipment that would be appropriate.

Sounds very fishy to me---Yuk Yuk Yuk---
    Brian Rupnow
    Design engineer
    Barrie, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I was trapped in an aquarium once but escaped unscathed, haven't gone near one in 35 years.

Comment

Saltwater as in a reef tank? Quite an expensive segment of the hobby. Expensive fish, expensive; "live rock"; tanks (acrylic), lighting (HID or LED), filtration, etc. etc. Had about 30 tanks at one time, running a breeding operation for tropical s. Might get her a book on the Rift Lake Cichlids that live in Tanganyika Just about as colorful and interesting as saltwater fish, easier to keep.
        Want something exotic? Check out the african cichlids as there are different types, requirements and each needs specific in this detailed guide!

Comment

Cichlids? Aren't they in the nearly impossible to kill category. 50 years ago they promised that tilapia would die off in the winter time here... The state record keeps getting bigger.
          *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Comment

Only the outside variety for me.

A friend had a saltwater aquarium and it was beautiful. Also a major money pit. JR

Click image for larger version

Name:	pobd.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	3.17 MB
ID:	1895097

Comment

Number one tip, tell her to read up on "cycling" the tank with live rock before adding any fish. And keep the water a little warmer than whatever is recommended. My saltwater fish always did better with warmer water.

Comment

I used to do saltwater, Had a 120 gallon with a 30 gallon sump. 120 gallon is 2'x2'x4',

Its not that bad. You can look at doing a nano-reef which can be done in 5-10 gallon tanks and with new LED lighting to replace the old stuff it is even cheaper and easier than before. People like to make a big deal out of salt water but once it is set up and running they really tend to themselves other than wiping the algae off the walls. I built an auto top off setup for mine connected to a RO filter setup to keep salinity stable,

Comment

Working...
                X