Millrite repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millrite repair

The knee on my millrite doesn't work smoothly. When I lower it, the screw moves but the knee hangs up and then drops with an audible "clunk".

Anybody had one of these apart? I'm figuring I can use an engine hoist to lift the knee, but after that I'll be winging it.

Lubrication system and gib adjustment.

-Doozer
    DZER

Comment

Once again, Doozer nails it! The knee gibs are easily adjustable, but the ways must be lubricated first.
      Southwest Utah

Comment

What doozer said from me too....But if you already keep it clean and oil it before each session then it's likely just the gib only. Or if this is a new machine to you then it may be crying for some serious cleaning first. If you wipe your finger over any of the axial ways and it comes away black then a good cleaning would be a nice start before you work on the oiling and gibs.

Chilliwack BC, Canada

Comment

I took a lot of pictures taking mine apart if they might help

http://www.mikeamick.com/millrite_project/

John Titor, when are you.

Comment

Awesome pix, thanks!

The ways have never been cleaned while I've owned the machine so it sounds like that's in order. Am I correct in thinking that the ram needs to come off before the table and knee can be lifted clear of the machine? I want to do this properly but I'm not looking to make work for myself, either.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
              ...The ways have never been cleaned while I've owned the machine ...
              Trying not to be a jerk here, but revealing that kinda makes me not want to contribute help in solving your problem.
              Goes to establish your level of give a care, and serves to adjust my level accordingly.

-Doozer
              DZER

Comment

Originally posted by Doozer View Post

Trying not to be a jerk
                Failed

Comment

these machines have zerk fittings and and everyone think's that you use grease to lube them NOT SO you use way lube I have had a few of these little mills and everyone has been pumped full of grease these mills will NEVER BE SMOOTH with grease BEST THING to do is take the table off the lead screws out the knee off and clean all the hard grease out of all the passages and thrust bearings . The table and the saddle have to be off to adjust the table gibs. I Guarantee you that the reason the Knee dose what you are saying is that its been lubed with grease. and it's hard. you will need to make a oil pump out of an grease gun I have not found a oil can that has enough pressure to pump way lube Ken

Comment

Ken nailed it. If someone greased it with a grease gun.... then that’s a problem. Oil only....no grease. Only place grease is recommended on the Millrite is the spindle, and that’s not a grease fitting. It’s a pipe plug in rear of spindle.
                    Last edited by Tim9lives; 08-29-2020, 08:43 AM. Reason: Ken nailed it

Comment

If grease actually is the problem it is usually effective to simply pump oil in. Over time it will wash the grease out.
                      Last edited by chipmaker4130; 08-29-2020, 09:00 AM.
                      Southwest Utah

Comment

Chipmaker I have never been able to pump oil into a passage that has old hard grease in it. and the second thing is you will be amazed how much chips and crap are in the knee gib's oil passages Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
                          Awesome pix, thanks!

The ways have never been cleaned while I've owned the machine so it sounds like that's in order. Am I correct in thinking that the ram needs to come off before the table and knee can be lifted clear of the machine? I want to do this properly but I'm not looking to make work for myself, either.
                          I don't see why the ram would have to come off. Just swivel it out of the way. Although, if you're going to tear into it, it probably wouldn't hurt to go through the ram and head to make sure everything is copacetic.

Comment

Originally posted by ken View Post
                            Chipmaker I have never been able to pump oil into a passage that has old hard grease in it. and the second thing is you will be amazed how much chips and crap are in the knee gib's oil passages Ken
                            Especially if the grease has hardened at all!

Although, I've seen oilers that lock onto a zerk and then you strike them with a hammer to send a high pressure jet of oil into the system. Maybe something like that could eventually force the crud out but I'm skeptical. Can't remember what the heck those are called so I can't even find a link to one as an example. If anyone else reading this knows what I'm talking about, post a link would ya?

Comment

Hmmmm. Out of ignorance the first time I lubed the machine I did it with grease.

After finding out I'd made a mistake I brazed a grease gun shut and started using way oil. Also, regarding the snotty criticism I got above, I thought the cleaning being referred to was with the machine torn down. I've lubed the machine and wiped it down plenty of times.

Thanks
                              Last edited by Commander_Chaos; 08-29-2020, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X