Millrite repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fasttrack View Post

I've seen oilers that lock onto a zerk and then you strike them with a hammer to send a high pressure jet of oil into the system.
    Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.jbtools.com/performance-...cleaning-tool/
    Last edited by Commander_Chaos; 08-29-2020, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post
      I've lubed the machine and wiped it down plenty of times.
      That's all anyone here is expecting. But there are some folks that do litterally no maintenance to their machines and then wonder why they stop working. Then they want us to invest our time to help fix it when they've been to lazy to prevent it from happening in the first place.

I'm halfway in the middle of the opinions here. Having torn down a grease filled old machine it was well worth the time. But, I also think you can push the grease through if it's fresh. But, if it takes more than a hand gun strength and there is any copper lines, you may damage those trying to get things to move.
      21" Royersford Excelsior CamelBack Drillpress Restoration
      1943 Sidney 16x54 Lathe Restoration

Comment

Originally posted by Commander_Chaos View Post

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.jbtools.com/performance-...cleaning-tool/
        Ah! A Google search of "grease fitting cleaners" turned up the one I was thinking of: https://locknlube.com/products/greas...4aAtQ_EALw_wcB

Thanks! They work well on agriculture equipment and heavy earth moving equipment. Never tried it on a milling machine that was clogged with grease, though. The oil passages in machine tools tend to be smaller and much longer than the majority of what you find on heavy equipment.

Comment

If it were mine, I would remove the gib and then start flushing the passages out with solvent first then after thoroughly cleaning that up, then make sure lube oil comes thru and reassemble and adjust. In this process, I would clean oil passages on both side of knee lube galleries.
          Sarge41

On edit: There is no need to remove the entire knee. Suspend the knee on a lift and unbolt the elevating screw so as not to bend it.

2nd edit: Commander_Chaos should surrender his un-licensed grease gun to the nearest authorities.
          Last edited by sarge41; 08-29-2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

???
            Last edited by Commander_Chaos; 08-30-2020, 05:48 PM.

Comment

While I have this thing apart I'm thinking about adding way covers. Anybody done this on a millrite? I'm looking in YouTube and it seems like there's a lot of possible solutions.

Comment

Working...
              X